Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952571 times)

Ruth

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4275 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
First Wives Club.

Very therapeutic.  I want to be Bette Midler.  She's gorgeous.

« Reply #4276 on: 24 July, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »
With some irony, the CGI gives the apes a more human story than ever before.
Well, they aren't hundred-percent CGIed. Reskinned human actors.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #4277 on: 24 July, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »
Sure, as indeed is most CGId anthropomorphic content in films these days. My upstairs flat mate is a casting agent for body-tracking actors for this kind of thing. Apparently it's a big growth industry for jobbing actors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4278 on: 24 July, 2014, 07:35:29 pm »
Sure, as indeed is most CGId anthropomorphic content in films these days. My upstairs flat mate is a casting agent for body-tracking actors for this kind of thing. Apparently it's a big growth industry for jobbing actors.

Taken to its logical conclusion, it could mean that one day stardom will be more about acting ability than physical appearance...

Jakob

« Reply #4279 on: 24 July, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »
With some irony, the CGI gives the apes a more human story than ever before.
Well, they aren't hundred-percent CGIed. Reskinned human actors.

According to Andy Serkis the CGI is only digital make-up. But then Serkis is a jerk
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/motion-capture/andy-serkis-does-everything-animators-do-nothing-says-andy-serkis-98868.html

He's tried this line before. Initial mutterings was after Return of the King and he was outright begging for an Oscar after King Kong.
The worst thing is, that while many directors, who are relatively clueless about the amount of work that goes into VFX, Serkis knows. He was around Weta often enough and knows what's going on.
Randall Cook then stepped in and in polite way, spanked him:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/motion-capture/lord-of-the-rings-animation-supervisor-randall-william-cook-speaks-out-on-andy-serkis-99439.html

He has since then changed his tone a bit (as in denied he ever said that and it was taken out of context although there's several videos of him and the context is very clear)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/10956372/Andy-Serkis-interview-Audiences-are-moved-by-acting-not-effects.html

Motion capture helps. It helps a lot. But it's no different than the old Disney animators using real life footage for rotoscoping and then animating on top. It's a template and one that the director/VFX-sup will often change, even to the point that the original performance is irrelevant.

Did I mention that Serkis is a jerk?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4280 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
Andy Serkis is most certainly not a jerk.
Getting there...

Jakob

« Reply #4281 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:44:50 pm »
Andy Serkis is most certainly not a jerk.

Taking credit for other peoples (very) hard work ranks pretty high on the jerk-dom list, in my opinion.
Can I ask why you think otherwise?.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4282 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:45:42 pm »
I've worked with him.
Getting there...

Jakob

« Reply #4283 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:49:44 pm »
So, what if he said that the quality of the lighting (or whatever you did) was all down to him. Would you still think he was a non-jerk?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4284 on: 25 July, 2014, 10:40:32 am »
Having read the articles and around the subject, he didn't say what is imputed about the animators, so it's a silly question.  Andy had the greatest of respect for fellow performers and other workers in the industry, was keen to learn about the various trades, and helped out when he could.

Doesn't sound like the 'jerk' depicted to me.
Getting there...

Jakob

« Reply #4285 on: 25 July, 2014, 06:13:03 pm »
Whatever. It's been going on for about 10 years now.
He was clearly told by the studios to backtrack due to the negative press and also the fact that he's about to direct a version of the Jungle Book, where he'll need animators. Digital Make-up Artists. We did a straw poll around the office and would you care to guess how many wanted to work on that?

Ruth

« Reply #4286 on: 31 July, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I thought it was shit.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4287 on: 01 August, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »
On the planes, Dallas Buyers Club and Captain Phillips.

Shouldn't weep in public...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #4288 on: 02 August, 2014, 11:02:59 pm »
On the tellybox this evening- The China Sydrome. late 70's wonder stuff.

« Reply #4289 on: 03 August, 2014, 11:26:36 pm »
Couldn't sleep Saturday night, so I ended up watching Apocalypto, followed by The Odd Angry Shot (on even later than the last time the BBC showed it).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4290 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
La Grande Vadrouille.

Very amusing French war spoof starring Terry Thomas.  Recommended.
Move Faster and Bake Things

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4291 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:48:27 am »
Just to add to the Andy Serkis derailment, Mrs T says he most definitely is not a jerk, in fact he is a lovely, thoughtful man. He was one of the clients at her previous job, they had good control subjects in John Thaw and Sheila Hancock!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #4292 on: 05 August, 2014, 10:02:27 am »
Guardians of Galaxy. Comic-book adaptations don't get any better. Marvellous pulp sci-fi palette, a gun-toting sarcastic raccoon with issues, and a Sony Walkman soundtrack. Plenty of laughs (at a few points the entire theatre was in hysterics) and it earned an a deserved hearty ovation at the end.

Hollywood, this is what happens when you have a script to go with the special effects.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4293 on: 05 August, 2014, 01:33:39 pm »
Guardians of Galaxy. Comic-book adaptations don't get any better. Marvellous pulp sci-fi palette, a gun-toting sarcastic raccoon with issues, and a Sony Walkman soundtrack. Plenty of laughs (at a few points the entire theatre was in hysterics) and it earned an a deserved hearty ovation at the end.

Hollywood, this is what happens when you have a script to go with the special effects.
Are you sure about this Ian?!?

I've just watched another trailer, and it still looks like noisy rubbish. Chris Pratt looks like the one good thing in it. I didn't laugh at all.

It all seems very odd. You've got an actress agreeing to play a character called "Gamora" - what was she thinking?!? - and Karen Gillan isn't even in the trailer (I think). And Vin Diesel is in it - well-known comic talent, not.

I generally don't "get" Marvel adaptations, I fear this will be the same. Probably wait for the small screen debut ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #4294 on: 05 August, 2014, 05:36:42 pm »
I'm sure. I've never been knowingly been blasted by the comicbooknerdilizer (it's a thing) but it's just a good old-fashioned actioneer. Of course it's noisy, they gave a raccoon with an attitude a large calibre weapon and a spaceship. Americans have been wanting to arm bears for a while, so this is a step in the right direction. There's a purposeful homage to the bit of Star Wars that was good (basically the scenes in the first two movies with Han Solo in them). It's a joyful mismatch of characters and riffing dialogue. The scene about the 'plan' is pitch perfect. Like Tarantino before the fateful potholing expedition up his own rear-end from which he's never returned. It's more likeable because it doesn't take itself too seriously, so romps happily along on a completely incongruous soundtrack. It made the Imax laugh and it's been a while since I'd seen a movie where the audience applauded at the end (at least not out of relief that it has finally ended).

simonp

« Reply #4295 on: 05 August, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »
Kill Bill vol. 2

I'll leave it up to the reader to work out what we watched before that.

Before that, Master and Commander.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4296 on: 05 August, 2014, 06:14:55 pm »
Ian, you have very nearly sold it to me. I can only think the trailer was made by a completely different team!

Despite this, I think our summer cripplingly expensive real cinema trip will be to
http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/production/2014/07/nt-live-broadcast-young-vics-streetcar-named-desire/
(cos we're both big Gillian Anderson fans)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4297 on: 05 August, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
Like Ian I'm not a comicbook graphic novel nerd, but I've been to see most (all?) the Marvel films.  The best one was Iron Man - a character about whom I knew nothing before seeing the film.  On that basis, I went to see Guardians and rather enjoyed it.  That surprised me, as I usually like to have more to think about in a movie, but it does carry it off with a certain flair.  Not perfect by a long chalk, but I enjoyed it more than the last X-Men. It is, as Mr Gates has said, completely batshit crazy, so don't go expecting art.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jakob

« Reply #4298 on: 05 August, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »
Total Recall, the remake.
Much better than I expected!. Still preferred the Mars setting in the original, though.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4299 on: 07 August, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
"Under The Skin"

Sci-Fi/Alien film which I found mesmerising.

I could totally understand if others found it too slow and too weird to enjoy however.

Reminded me very much of "The Man Who Fell to Earth".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.