Author Topic: If someone flicked a cigarette butt out ....  (Read 3841 times)

Domestique

If someone flicked a cigarette butt out ....
« on: 18 April, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »
.. of a car window and it landed on you what would be your response?
I only ask because as I left work this afternoon and rode past the que of waiting taxis a dog-end was thrown from a taxi  ::-) and just missed me. Thinking about it now, thankfully I just said 'cheers mate' and rode past. 
So what would you do, have you done?

Rollo

Re: If someone flicked a cigerette butt out ....
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:16:15 pm »
The textbook response is to pick it up and hand it back (or drop it back in through the window :demon:)', saying 'I think you dropped this'.
In reality, I think I'd just swear.

bobajobrob

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »
If it hit me and it was deliberate I'd probably pick it up and flick it back in the window. If it was accidental I'd let it slide.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:25:01 pm »
Chuck it back in, definitely.

When you see a lit butt sail out of the window and if you time it just right to slow down, stoop to collect it and flick it back into the window before it's wound up again, it's better than sex*.

Mind you, it's going to make someone extraordinarily poorly disposed towards your health and safety, so I suggest only doing it if you're confident of beating a hasty one afterwards.

*Well.  Better than bad sex, anyway...  ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:26:25 pm »
confident of beating a hasty one afterwards.

Well.  Better than bad sex, anyway...  ;)

:)

this forum is more predictable because any really long thread tends inexorably towards NSFW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:10:18 am »
Is it legal for taxi drivers to smoke in their cabs in Englandshire?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:11:43 am »
Is it legal for taxi drivers to smoke in their cabs in Englandshire?

I believe it is illegal.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: If someone flicked a cigarette butt out ....
« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:37:44 am »
IIRC, I believe that black cab drivers wangled an exemption on the grounds that they had a screeen between them and their passengers.

I've found a squirt of the water bottle through the window of the offending vehicle to be effective...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »
I once took a ciggarette butt to the throat at 70*cough*mph after some twonk flicked it out of their window as I passed them. Que frantic beeping and waving at their front tyre and making "pull over" actions. I pulled over with them and when they stopped, farly ashen faced I dramatically said "Your tyre is coming apart!!" Bloke scrambles out of the car to look, and as he looks back at me after checking out his perfect tyre, I said sweetly "Oh, must have just been that fag you chucked at me. Nevermind."

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwww!!!!!! As I rejoin full speed traffic in about 5 seconds, leaving him to find a gap in the heavy traffic that his Vauxdull Fronterra (acceleration about as good as a fully loaded artic) could speed up into.

EDIT: On reflection I wished that I hadn't told him about the fag, and just left him to feel nervous!

:thumbsup:

Never had it en velo
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:18:27 pm »
This seems like quite a good excuse to mention yesterday's episode of Astra-based shenanigans.

Our group had an open beer can lobbed millimetres in front of a rider's face. I'll try to post more details once the BiB have finished with them.

The one new nugget of knowledge from the experience was the discovery of an offence called
Causing Danger to Road Users.

I've just done a cursory google, and it seems this carries a sentence upto 7 years, and seems perfectly suited to the kind of cr@p that cyclists receive from the less charming occupants of motor vehicles.(Often no actual assault takes place, but we are still most definitely put in danger).
Of course noone would get 7 years in the clink for just chucking stuff at cyclists, but I reckon the simple fact of being _charged_ with something with such a large max penalty would a LOT more alarming than the typical "word in the ear".

Anyone have any more experience of this offence? It seems mainly to be used for people chucking stones at trains/buses.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles