Author Topic: Fruit Flies  (Read 2136 times)

Fruit Flies
« on: 13 March, 2020, 02:47:30 pm »
I seem to have a bit of an infestation of tiny flies in my flat.     What's the best way to get rid of the buggers ?   I've tried open jars of wine vinegar to drown them but didn't get many.

I remember we used to have things called Vapona to hang up in a holiday cottage,   came back to the place once & every flat surface was covered with dead houseflies  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Fruit Flies
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:19:44 pm »
They know

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:24:18 pm »
Find some stumpy winged ones and breed them with the others.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:27:47 pm »
Breeding them is a good idea.

In about a weeks time they will be a valuable source of protein

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:30:01 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:34:16 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:39:57 pm »
Do you have an open compost/food waste bin in the kitchen?  We sometimes get infestations of tiny black flies centered on ours. But normally only in the summer.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:43:24 pm »
I think Vapona got banned.

Shame cos it worked. Came in two sizes: room size and cupboard sized for the moths.

Nasty chemicals though.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2020, 04:24:15 pm »
Chloroform works. Though I'd worry about anyone who keeps a supply of chloroform to hand.

Leastways, that's how we used to kill them, errant Drosophila being the bane of geneticists (I worked on Arabidopsis, on account it was less likely run, crawl, swim, or fly away).

« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2020, 04:45:35 pm »
I think Vapona got banned.

Shame cos it worked. Came in two sizes: room size and cupboard sized for the moths.

Nasty chemicals though.

I think it was basically solid yellow organophosphate stuff, so likely quite toxic.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2020, 05:13:38 pm »
My experience was that they particularly loved over-ripe bananas, although they weren't that choosy once established.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2020, 05:26:16 pm »
  What's the best way to get rid of the buggers ?   I've tried open jars of wine vinegar to drown them but didn't get many.

Put an upturned paper cone in the top with a small-ish hole cut in the bottom to guide them in but make it hard to get out. And put a drop of washing up liquid in the vinegar to break the surface tension.

I found it ruthlessly efficient.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »
My daughter's house suffered a major sewerage problem as a result of one or more collapsed Victorian pipes. After the blockage had been "settled" for some time, the house was full of tiny flies that seemed to have thrived on whatever it was that had been blocking the pipes. She bought an ultraviolet-emmitting fly-toaster and the ZAP noises were frequent and repeated of a number of days.

They may not be fruit flies...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2020, 06:43:59 pm »
most of these small flies don't live very long so the chances are excellent that somewhere in/nearby your flat there is something which has been/is harbouring eggs. The eggs could have been laid last year. It  varies with species but almost any food residue (or poo), especially rotting fruit,  will do for flies to lay their eggs in, and they are attracted to the smell of anything similar, including ripening fruit in a fruit bowl.  Recent slightly warmer temperatures  may have prompted eggs to hatch out, or adult flies to be attracted to anything in your flat that smells nice to them. If the infestation has been going on for more than a certain length of time, you may be one or more generations into the infestation. 

So you need to be absolutely sure there is nothing which might be harbouring eggs and equally well nothing which will attract the adult flies, else it'll be ongoing.

A kind of trap for the adult flies is to leave a piece of stinky decomposing fruit somewhere, but to change it every few days. The flies will spend their time laying eggs in that, and you will dispose of it soon enough that those eggs will never have a chance to hatch. If you can bear the smell, microwaving the fruit will kill any eggs that have been laid.

cheers

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2020, 06:47:00 pm »
A tot of fresh orange juice (or any fruit juice) in small glasses dotted around. Cover with cling film and burn a number of small holes in the plastic with a paper clip or similar. They get in and drown in the OJ.

Very effective and no nasty chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2020, 10:12:21 pm »
  What's the best way to get rid of the buggers ?   I've tried open jars of wine vinegar to drown them but didn't get many.

Put an upturned paper cone in the top with a small-ish hole cut in the bottom to guide them in but make it hard to get out. And put a drop of washing up liquid in the vinegar to break the surface tension.

I found it ruthlessly efficient.

I also had success with vinegary water & washing up liquid
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:12:59 pm »
A favourite joke:
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Is that someone’s signature here?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2020, 11:15:24 pm »
I think you should invest in a Rail Gun and some target practice.

You are going to be in that flat for about three months.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
Fly papers?
Works pretty well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insect-Catcher-Killer-Window-Poison/dp/B01MXDF2KM
Think I've seen them for sale in the likes of Home Bargains, Poundland, B&Q maybe.

« Reply #19 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:09:20 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 16 March, 2020, 03:37:06 pm »
^^Sheer genius! How did the Wright brothers never think of this?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21 on: 16 March, 2020, 03:55:58 pm »
^^Sheer genius! How did the Wright brothers never think of this?
I have so wanted to do this.
And launch several in a room whilst we are having a meeting at work.

« Reply #22 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:52:16 am »
Nuke'm from orbit. Only way to make sure.