Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 444664 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4150 on: 15 December, 2023, 06:12:49 pm »
a cargo bike is on my wish list when we move back to our own home and I am retired as it will enable me to get to a really good supermarket without using the car.

+1

My e-bike was a c2w purchase (and actually used for commuting!) but finances preclude a cargo bike at the moment.

(I would trade in the car for a cargo bike except for the hurdle of convincing my wife it would be a good idea.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4151 on: 18 December, 2023, 07:03:53 pm »
An errand on Saturday necessitated the use of my bar bag, which in my case I could not find, neither in the Right Cupboard, the Other Cupboards nor the SEECRIT Buknker.

Replay when I last had it. Ooh, the weekend before. What did I do that weekend? Think some more. Scout thing Sunday afternoon by car. Not that.  Coffee in town. Possibly. Ring cafe. No sign. What else did I do? Ah yes, visit to a  microbrewery , tasting of wares for the use of. On bike. I only had three pints, but I nearly forgot my coat as I left, having to go back after 20metres. I suspect I left it there. Maybe. Ring the brewery , but they aintent seen it. Arse.
This evening I looked in the Right Cupboard for a small rucsac, as I'd lost my barbag,  noted above.  But what is this under the rucsac? It is the barbag, that once was lost but now is found.

Five minutes later a lost glove miraculously appeared in the Bike Clothing Cupboard.

Boy Looking FTW.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4152 on: 18 December, 2023, 07:09:07 pm »
An errand on Saturday necessitated the use of my bar bag, which in my case I could not find, neither in the Right Cupboard, the Other Cupboards nor the SEECRIT Buknker.

Replay when I last had it. Ooh, the weekend before. What did I do that weekend? Think some more. Scout thing Sunday afternoon by car. Not that.  Coffee in town. Possibly. Ring cafe. No sign. What else did I do? Ah yes, visit to a  microbrewery , tasting of wares for the use of. On bike. I only had three pints, but I nearly forgot my coat as I left, having to go back after 20metres. I suspect I left it there. Maybe. Ring the brewery , but they aintent seen it. Arse.
This evening I looked in the Right Cupboard for a small rucsac, as I'd lost my barbag,  noted above.  But what is this under the rucsac? It is the barbag, that once was lost but now is found.

Five minutes later a lost glove miraculously appeared in the Bike Clothing Cupboard.

Boy Looking FTW.
Is it your adult guardian's day off?  :P

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4153 on: 18 December, 2023, 07:41:15 pm »

Note to self. Kettle works better if you plug it in...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4154 on: 21 December, 2023, 11:13:14 am »
I bought a nice wall map to go on the wall behind my desk.   I didn't pay too much attention to the measurements.  The monitor will block out the bottom half.   I'll need a hanging kit as well,  I doubt blu tack will be up to the job.

https://www.stanfords.co.uk/British-Isles-Physical-Panoramic-Wall-Map_4260030058242
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4155 on: 21 December, 2023, 06:16:59 pm »
Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, managed to delete every .sii file from an entire directory tree.  These are pretty fundamental to Making Shit Work.  Backups will only go so far, because I've done quite a lot of Stuffs since this morning’s finished.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #4156 on: 21 December, 2023, 06:57:06 pm »
She merely believes a tidy drive is a nice drive.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4157 on: 23 December, 2023, 05:22:41 pm »
Put a brand-new pair of merino socks into the ordinary wash. Eejit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4158 on: 24 December, 2023, 12:40:06 pm »
Divery part 1):
Started the de-calcing process on our coffee filter machine while there was still coffee in it. Grabbed the jug out and poured its contents into a mug. Tasted the mug, tasted weird, almost sweet.
Poured all the coffee away.
Drank a lot of water and hoped that I hadn't ingested enough of whatever-it-was to make me ill.

Divery part 2)
I read the blurb on the bottle of de-calcing stuff, and there wasn't anything about what you should do if you swallow some, just about not getting it on your skin or breathing in the fumes.* After a bit my husband spotted that the blurb said it had citric acid in it, which didn't sound too bad. After a bit I plucked up the courage to google citric acid.
Citric acid is edible. It's the stuff you get in citrus fruits, obviously.
Panic over.

* this should have been a clue. Also I guess they wouldn't let you put anything really poisonous into a machine that makes something you are going to ingest...

Divery part 3)
I made my husband get chestnuts for the stuffing. I have now finished making the stuffing and have not used the chestnuts. I must have been looking at a different recipe at some point.
[EDIT] to add part 3.5: the chestnuts were in the recipe, just when I copied them from the web page to a piece of paper for ease of use, I missed them off the copy...

« Reply #4159 on: 02 January, 2024, 11:03:53 pm »
Ordered a Fosi mini amp via Ali on Boxing day. It is now in the UK and has been for a few days (impressed) but has not been delivered as the address is 'incorrect'. Somehow I have managed not to include the street and house No. Doh! Now edited, so hoping.....Why the delivery agent has not contacted me by phone/message, I do not know.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4160 on: 03 January, 2024, 09:01:13 am »
Packed for my commute to this underheated office.
Thought I'd put in a black thermal baselayer, turns out it's a (grubby) T shirt.

I'm bloomin freezing.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4161 on: 03 January, 2024, 06:59:38 pm »
I dropped the biggest of my nesting lidded non slip mixing bowls (wot I use for dough) and broke the thing didn't I?

Oh well, I'll buy a new one. Ha. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to get all 3 out of plastic, non slip and lidded.
Pretty much identical to this which is now discontinued, bah. https://www.lakeland.co.uk/12869/3-lakeland-plastic-nesting-mixing-bowls-1l-2l-and-4l-set-with-lids
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4162 on: 03 January, 2024, 07:13:54 pm »
I dropped the biggest of my nesting lidded non slip mixing bowls (wot I use for dough) and broke the thing didn't I?

Oh well, I'll buy a new one. Ha. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to get all 3 out of plastic, non slip and lidded.
Pretty much identical to this which is now discontinued, bah. https://www.lakeland.co.uk/12869/3-lakeland-plastic-nesting-mixing-bowls-1l-2l-and-4l-set-with-lids
http://tinyurl.com/mwebms4f

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4163 on: 03 January, 2024, 08:56:13 pm »
Thanks Jurek, I'd seen them but they're too small, it was the 4L bowl I borked. I found some Danish design job (Rosti Mepal) on sale for a tenner so hopefully that'll do the job, even though it won't match.

« Reply #4164 on: 04 January, 2024, 08:20:06 am »
We have a set of SS mixing bowls, all with lids and non-slip silicone base.

Absolutely love them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4165 on: 04 January, 2024, 12:58:00 pm »
Too noisy.

« Reply #4166 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:34:00 pm »
What do you use the lids for? I can't think of any occasion I've needed a lid on a mixing bowl. If I'm keeping something in it I usually need to cover the surface of whatever it is, to avoid skin/drying out.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4168 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:40:52 pm »
What do you use the lids for? I can't think of any occasion I've needed a lid on a mixing bowl. If I'm keeping something in it I usually need to cover the surface of whatever it is, to avoid skin/drying out.
Same here. For proving my Tragic Hipster sour dough, I give a light spray of water and cover the bowl with a bit of muslin-ish material*

Cling film has been used for covering other things in the past, butnow I'm the proud owner of some beeswax covering stuffs.

*Cheaper IME in the baby department of your favourite supermarket than in www.Tragic_Hipster_SourDough.com

« Reply #4169 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:53:22 pm »
Mum used a lidded tupperware for the making of steak and kidney puddings.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4170 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:57:33 pm »
Mum used a lidded tupperware for the making of steak and kidney puddings.

Ooh. Steak & kidney pud. There's a good idea.

« Reply #4171 on: 04 January, 2024, 02:08:25 pm »
Foil greaseproof paper and string for that here.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4172 on: 04 January, 2024, 03:23:04 pm »
For authenticity, I  use the same bit of special string, which lives in the kitchen drawer,every time.

« Reply #4173 on: 04 January, 2024, 03:31:09 pm »

She was a child of the '20's. Tupperware was a la mode in the '70's. String amd muslin were reserved for spotted dick.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4174 on: 04 January, 2024, 03:38:18 pm »
For authenticity, I  use the same bit of special string, which lives in the kitchen drawer,every time.
I used to carry a piece of string in my wallet.
It was 22cm in length.
If ever anyone asked the question 'How long is a piece of string?' I was able to tell them, in addition to showing them the evidence.
I'm here all week.
Do try the veal.