Author Topic: PBP 2023 - parking / sleeping at the start  (Read 2613 times)

PBP 2023 - parking / sleeping at the start
« on: 04 January, 2023, 11:56:17 am »
Hey all, I finished LEL last year much to my own amazement and fancy a crack at PBP this year. I have a few questions to people who have done this before if you don't mind.

I was planning on just jumping in the car and get the eurotunnel down on the friday for registration, sleep in the car (or tent if possible), mill about the next day until my start time and leave my car at the start with my belongings. Is this even possible? Is there an official car park you have to book or something? Are there showers available?

Organising Hotels etc seems like more planning I don't want to content with, and I don't mind roughing it.

Thanks

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: PBP 2023 - parking / sleeping at the start
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2023, 02:22:50 pm »
registration on Saturday, start on Sunday

Personally I would not recommend sleeping in the car for two nights before the ride. I was lazing in a hotel room until 2pm on the day the ride started, and that allowed me to go through to 8pm on the Monday night, 550km from the start, before needing sleep. Possibly I could have gone further. I doubt I could have done that if I had slept in the car on Friday and Saturday night.

If I ride this year, I will probably get the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to le Havre (closer to rambouillet than Calais) on Friday night, sleep on the boat and have a 2.5 hour drive to registration, then I will book into a hotel, or maybe a campsite nearby.

You will likely also want somewhere to sleep at/near the finish. I would not want to to finish the ride, sleep badly in the car and then drive back home afterwards. (last time I finished at 1am). Possibly you could get a bed at the last control (Dreux?) to be a bit fresher on arrival at Rambouillet.

If you have a campsite pitch booked for the week, then leaving your car there should not be an issue.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2023, 09:17:54 am »
Thanks for your reply. yes I guess it makes sense. I'll look for a local campsite if the organisers don't provide camping. And thanks for confirming the days, can you register anytime on the Saturday or is it like LEL where you have a timeslot?
Cheers

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2023, 10:22:49 am »
I seem to remember in 2019 we were allocated time slots on the Sat for registering. But there were bike checks at same time as registering, but they are not doing that this year.

Most information drips out over time from the PBP organisers. As you work through the process the information gets released to you. For now, just get your entry in when they open next week , and enter your qualifiying events.

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2023, 09:47:42 pm »
Thanks for your reply. yes I guess it makes sense. I'll look for a local campsite if the organisers don't provide camping. And thanks for confirming the days, can you register anytime on the Saturday or is it like LEL where you have a timeslot?
Huttopia
The organisers take a Gallic approach to any allocated time for picking up 'stuff' (signing in) at the chateau's barn.
Article 13 of the Rules: "
Sign-in
"You will receive your brevet card, tracking device, frame badge and other items [see list in Article 6] on the eve of the brevet’s start. An additional distribution will be made on Friday afternoon for the Sunday starters.
"Start control: . . .  from 30 to 60 minutes before each official start. . . . Lighting and reflective vests will be checked [there and then]."
Implies Sunday sign-in for 84 hour riders.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:28:12 pm »
IIRC, much like LEL the time slots exist to encourage riders to arrive evenly across the day and you can actually arrive whenever you like.

At your own risk of course.

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2023, 06:35:13 pm »
Thanks for the info all, I think I'll aim to get down Friday so around all day Saturday for the registration shenanigans. Saw huttopia, will book there probably.
Thanks

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2023, 03:57:51 pm »
I'm from India. Moved to Kent last year. Wondering if I can get company to get there or info on how to get there..
I was planning to drive my car but we can share the expenses and the driving if you're interested..
Hotels and AirBnb are are booked near to rambouillet. Was planning to pitch my tent. Any place other than Huttopia?

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2023, 05:23:48 pm »
There’ll be a fair few cycling down and back via the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry ⛴️. Very sociable if you fancy that. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2023, 02:30:31 pm »
Am hoping that the offer of free/subsidised accommodation in France will entice CET Junior to stay over.  Will then stay there in comfort on the morning of the start and get some extra kip before riding to the start for the event.  That also enables me to find accommodation a little further away.  There's always the pain of riding 10 - 15 miles back after the finish, but it worked OK last time and if push comes to shove will phone for a lift.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)