Author Topic: Wanted: Tandem trike for Audax  (Read 3594 times)

321up

• 59° N
Wanted: Tandem trike for Audax
« on: 03 October, 2014, 07:01:34 pm »
Well, it's taken months of gentle persuasion but C. has finally decided that she would like to try Audaxing together on a tandem trike  :D.

The first step is to find a suitable second hand tandem trike (upright) that we can afford (or try out), so if you know someone who is looking to rehome a tandem trike then please let us know by PM.  It needs to be no larger than 23" on the front and 21" on the rear.  We would like rear disc brakes and two wheel drive (preferably that will take a 9 speed cassette).

Re: Wanted: Tandem trike for Audax
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2014, 10:03:31 pm »
You are looking  for a rare beast I hope you get one - they  are  a  blast. Do you  know  how  to  ride  a  trike? We  struck lucky  with  an  e-bay find. Don't be  put off if  it  needs a bit of transmission work. Older Longstaff trikes have free-hub 2WD. Geoff Bookers cassette conversions are  good VFM. suggest  you  join the  T.A. members  are  'of an age' and small ads in the TA journal will have machines that do not appear on-line,
Planning  for Paris Brest?

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2014, 10:09:48 am »
Older Longstaff trikes have free-hub 2WD.
[pedant mode]freewheel not free-hub.  A pair of Maillard bodies were used.[/pedant mode] 

Take a look at the TA website http://tricycleassociation.org.uk/ click on the region in which you live and you will see contact information for the region's secretary.  A few members have said that they  are prepared to let people have a heavily supervised try on a machine.  The region's secretary should know if any are in his region and if any have a tandem trike.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »
After a quick search for a spare saddle and a few minutes tinkering my old Longstaff TWD was unleashed for a brief test ride and I can confirm that after many years on 2 wheels that I am still able to ride a trike.  What is surprising was how natural it felt to be on 3 wheels again.  I've never ridden a tandem trike and C. has never ridden a trike, but we both like a challenge.

Yep, I know about the Maillard issue, that's what's on my Longstaff and is one of the reasons it's been sat idle for so long.  At some point I will need to assess the cost of refurbishment against the cost of a newer second hand machine, but I don't have the budget for either for the foreseeable future.  If C. is on a bicycle then I couldn't keep up with her riding my trike and we would rather ride a tandem anyway (with either 2 or 3 wheels).

As for our tandem trike plans, we have to get one first and find out how well we get on with it.  I expect that it will be great fun and that's all that matters.  We like to start with modest goals and do as much or as little as we feel like and can fit in around other aspects of our lives.  The PBP is on our wish list for next year, but unless we get lucky and find a suitable tandem trike that is affordable then it will be on 2 wheels.

Its a small world:  it turns out that I knew tatanab >20 years ago and he is the former owner of my Longstaff - great to be in contact again.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »
Trykit does conversions for 2WD with Shimano cassettes, including from Longstaff 2WD. Not bargain basement prices, as you note.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2014, 08:06:31 pm »
About £350 for the Trykit conversion - I have a complete spare freewheel assembly and  may even be able to get some spare sprockets.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »
We are making good progress on ours, still giving me a good upper body workout but didn't need to do an emergency verge avoidance stop today at all :-)

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »
Do you think you are working too hard then? I found learning to trim the trike by leaning when on a camber was important. If you get it right steering becomes neutral. On a tandem trike you can often end up fighting the stokers lean. Also setting up for cornering takes practice, inside pedal down.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:31:04 pm »
Yes, definitely working too hard, but on every ride it gets easier.

On a tandem trike you can often end up fighting the stokers lean.

Please explain, does the stoker lean too far or the wrong way in this situation?

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
you both need to compensate for the camber, because the stoker cannot feel the steering there is a bit more to learn.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2014, 08:36:59 pm »
We  struck lucky  with  an  e-bay find.

News to Me! I think it was me that secretly bought it without your knowledge! Still remember the look on your face when I broke the news!
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:59:29 pm »
We  struck lucky  with  an  e-bay find.
[/quote. .....secretly bought "it" without your knowledge!

"It"????? Poor Rufus.....

« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2015, 08:37:12 am »
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:42:16 pm »
We have tandem trikes.  If one of you is disabled or has additional needs then you can borrow one.  See CharlottesTandems.co.uk for more details.

Alex
Alex Reeves
Charlotte's Tandems
Registered Charity 1148053
CharlottesTandems.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 01 April, 2015, 11:19:39 am »
Long Barrows are the way to go!
Tink and I are just in the process of returning ours after 26 years of riding bliss!
Remember "you can only ride tandem of the stoker is happy"

Longstaff's are looking at starting manufacturing Tandem Trikes again - both their Cyclon range and custom
builds. They also have a new TWD unit that will take up to 11spd.

Go for it! Enjoy.