Author Topic: Worthwhile wet weather cycling cap?  (Read 2137 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Worthwhile wet weather cycling cap?
« on: 01 November, 2020, 05:52:30 pm »
HK has a number of wet weather cycling caps from the likes of Assos (the sweatiest), Rapha and Vulpine and most don't stay on her head very well. The Sealskinz one was modified and stays in place without a helmet holding it in place, unlike the others.

I have a similar issue with rain caps tending to lift off at high speed. Some of them seem to be too shallow and others have a very slick band contacting my skin and hair. No such problems with old-school cotton caps and my head is a pretty average shape and size.

Are there any rain caps that actually stay on your head at speed?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Worthwhile wet weather cycling cap?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:54:13 pm »
Strap the cap on. I use a helmet for this purpose.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:55:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but fuck that.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
This won't be of any use to someone such as yourself with such a lush head of hair, but I've discovered since I switched to buzz-cutting my head, the velcro-effect of a #0 is pretty good at keeping lighter head-gear such as buffs, in place.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2020, 06:37:30 pm »
Since I have not had a haircut since March, I'm seemingly going for a '70s look. The flares and platform heels will be next!

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:06:49 pm »
It's hard to see how to solve this one, from an engineering point of view.  You need a rain cap to keep the rain off, especially if you wear glasses, though there is a limit to what can be achieved on that score.  So you need to have the peak down when it's raining.  This increases the aerofoil effect and off comes the hat.  A hat with tight enough elastic to compensate is just a headache.

Following this one with interest.  I agree about the betterness of old-style cotton ones: I lust after a Merckx Molteni one but all the retro ones seem to be heavy on synthetics and therefore sweat, it seems.

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:17:51 pm »
The Gore Shakedry cycling cap - a similar design to the old-style cotton cap - may come closest to your needs. However it’s a one-size-fits-all, just as the cotton caps that I have are. They happen to be a tight fit on my head.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:20:41 pm »
I put a buff over any cap that comes off in the wind. Though this only works on colder days. Most of the time a cotton cap does the job with rain dripping off the end of the peak. You can always use something like Fabsil to give it water repellency

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »
I find that having the brim down increases downforce but I tend to keep my head down, just peeping out under and and around the brim (particularly against car headlights at night). In the dry, I have the brim up, though some modern-style caps have a too-stiff pre-shaped peak for that to be comfortable.

I was kind of hoping for something with a rubberised band round the inside or suchlike, to increase friction without excessive tightness. The only rain cap here with one of those bands (Sealskinz) has it sewn on the bottom edge only, so the band tends to turn itself inside out as the cap creeps up my skull before flying off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:34:03 pm »
It's hard to see how to solve this one, from an engineering point of view.  You need a rain cap to keep the rain off, especially if you wear glasses, though there is a limit to what can be achieved on that score.  So you need to have the peak down when it's raining.  This increases the aerofoil effect and off comes the hat.  A hat with tight enough elastic to compensate is just a headache.

My Walz moisture-wicking caps avoid this problem by having a soft enough peak that at high air-speeds it deforms flat against your face rather than acting as a sail.  It's a bit alarming when it first happens, but by dint of the shape manages not to block your view of what's important unless you have tree branches to worry about.  (Disclaimer: My non-recumbent bikes have a relatively upright riding position, you might lose your view of the road in a more aggressive crouch.)

Unfortunately, it's not waterproof.  Or particularly brilliant[1] at keeping rain off glasses, tbh.

[1] Well, it's much better than the ones that fly off.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:56:14 pm »
Either of you have a big head? I've got a mavic one that's too big for me that might be worth you trying, I'll see if I can dig it out (it's hovered around charity shop piles a few times but don't think it ever made itty out the door).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:22:06 pm »
If you adopt the approach of not washing your hair in time it becomes water shedding. Naturally, like a sheep or a dog (or a gore-tex jacket), if you get caught out in a prolonged downpour it will eventually wet out and you will have to huddle in the lee of the nearest drystone wall or field shelter.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:24:55 pm »

I just use a hood on my rain jacket with a Helmet over the top...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:32:37 pm »
Which we already know is the worst possible option for me, bar none. A cotton cap sufficed for my recent randomly wet 600 perm but I can dream of something just a little better.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:36:07 pm »
Which we already know is the worst possible option for me, bar none. A cotton cap sufficed for my recent randomly wet 600 perm but I can dream of something just a little better.

I know. Useful isn't it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:41:07 pm »
I have a selection of wool caps (different weights for spring autumn winter) , they get damp not soggy wet and stay warm

« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:14:03 pm »
I just use a cotton cap, never found anything better. 
Surprising how well they do work, but I'm sure you know that already.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:17:39 pm »
I also wear wool caps when it is cold, a.f.

It just seems odd that rain caps seem to be uniformly shit when the concept is so simple.

Thanks for the offer GrahamG but HK and I tend to towards small or medium head size. It seems like I will just Nikwax a comfy cotton cap instead.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #18 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:28:05 am »
Have you thought of good old fashioned wax on a cotton cap? Or is that what you meant?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:43:28 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:47:36 am »
You could just Nikwax your hair...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:09:14 am »

« Reply #22 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:15:58 am »
Gore do a casquette type hat that I find a more traditional fit than the Sealskin take on design.
There used to be a few makers about, but my guess is that the march of the helmet fanatics has reduced demand unfortunately.

« Reply #23 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:22:23 am »
Add a chin strap?

« Reply #24 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:43:33 am »
I never got on with the winter hats so I just use a large-size cap with a headband underneath when it is cold.