Author Topic: RIP Neil Peart  (Read 963 times)

RIP Neil Peart
« on: 10 January, 2020, 10:45:50 pm »
The best drummer ever IMHO.
I love this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k

Re: RIP Neil Peart
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:00:36 pm »
Well, that sucks. :(

Apparently, he'd been fighting brain cancer for the last three and a half years.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/rush-legend-neil-peart-dies-aged-67/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2020, 10:26:48 am »
Damn, Rush were/are one of my "never saw them live" regrets. Definitely best ever drummer

Also a keen cyclist who, IIRC, was regularly dropped off the tour bus, so he could cycle the rest of the way - up to 100 miles. And he wrote The Masked Rider - his month long tour of Cameroon

RIP

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2020, 12:12:42 pm »
My flatmate in the early 80s was a huge Rush fan so I'm afraid my tolerance for them had worn very thin by the time I moved out, but I will concede that he could certainly have taught  Stewart Copeland a thing or two about how to make an impression as a drummer in a power trio without being a total dick.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2020, 12:19:44 pm »
Damn, Rush were/are one of my "never saw them live" regrets. Definitely best ever drummer

Also a keen cyclist who, IIRC, was regularly dropped off the tour bus, so he could cycle the rest of the way - up to 100 miles. And he wrote The Masked Rider - his month long tour of Cameroon

RIP

I knew he was a keen motorcyclist and shunned the tour bus to ride his beemer between gigs.

« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:11:44 am »
Switched to a motorbike as he got older and rode between gigs but did cycling tours of eg parts of China. The motorbike came about after the death of his daughter and wife in a short period of time and he went off on a ride around North/Central America to get some space. He disliked aspects of being famous, regarding drumming as his job so hero worship he found uncomfortable. His influence on Rock bands from the 80's on is astounding. listening to Rush almost as a rite of passage to understanding about playing in a band/your instrument/writing a song. He never stopped learning to try to play better. The world is slightly worse for his loss