Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 24413 times)

Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #50 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:09:40 am »
We signed up for milk & more several weeks ago and have been filling the milk shelf of the fridge with glass milk bottles but best of all I've now discovered that they also deliver old-style silver top milk.

Milk like-it-used-to-taste, i.e. non homogenized  ;D

« Reply #51 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:14:14 am »
Have the local birdlife remembered how to peck through the tops of the bottles before you get to them ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 25 January, 2020, 03:43:07 pm »
I think homogenisation and the trend to semi-skimmed milk have induced lack of memory.

I doubt 2% fat milk is worth the effort, unlike that nice thick cream layer, which might have had five to ten times the fat concentration.

Our milk round is currently short-staffed, with late deliveries.

rr

« Reply #53 on: 25 January, 2020, 06:04:49 pm »
Have the local birdlife remembered how to peck through the tops of the bottles before you get to them ?
Our dog used to finish what the birds started

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/qwEFSTSAnpjR7MjG7[\img]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 26 January, 2020, 01:02:02 pm »
We signed up for milk & more several weeks ago and have been filling the milk shelf of the fridge with glass milk bottles but best of all I've now discovered that they also deliver old-style silver top milk.

Milk like-it-used-to-taste, i.e. non homogenized  ;D
This is how I like milk too.  :thumbsup:
(Although actually I seem to have given up with milk now, not through conscious decision but just change of breakfast habits.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 26 January, 2020, 01:31:12 pm »
The unhomogenised full-fat milk our milkman left us (I don't know if this was a genuine error or a covert sales ploy) a few months ago was gorgeous.

It cost significantly more than the usual offering and I stayed with the semi-skimmed.

« Reply #56 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:07:15 pm »
Feeling very smug now for signing up to milk&more in January.
Doorstep is the perfect no contact delivery assuming desperation doesn't extend to doorstep theft.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:54:59 pm »
I’m sure our normal Saturday dawn delivery will turn up eventually. The M&M website was getting overwhelmed during the week. Surprised much?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 21 March, 2020, 01:14:40 pm »
Our deliveries are Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Tried the milkandmore website earlier today to see what groceries they carried.
Crowd queueue.

Didn't wait.

« Reply #59 on: 21 March, 2020, 02:06:35 pm »
Added a 2 litre bottle of milk to our weekly Riverford organic veg delivery a few months ago. Now managed to add another, along with a box of 6 eggs.

Riverford have suspended accepting new customers, they've been somewhat overwhelmed.

Managed to get some otherwise unavailable items from the two Holland & Barret shops in Uxbridge.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 08 April, 2020, 04:30:20 pm »
Milk and More has decided to give its milk delivery staff Easter Saturday and Easter Monday off. They would have delivered Monday's milk next Wednesday. I initially ordered extra milk for Friday to supply me for Monday & Tuesday but there is not enough space in my fridge for 6 glass bottles and I can't freeze milk in glass bottles.
Amending orders on their website is a PITA so I have cancelled Friday's order and increased my Sainsbury's plastic milk order.

I feel guilty about this.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #61 on: 11 April, 2020, 12:30:52 pm »
M&M's deliveries to Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) are in plastic 2-pint wossnames.  My own milk consumption is low enough that a pint does me a week, but Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles hasn't had pints since the Coronalurgi started and I end up pouring a pint of moo juice down the sink every week >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #62 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:27:29 pm »
M&M's deliveries to Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) are in plastic 2-pint wossnames.  My own milk consumption is low enough that a pint does me a week, but Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles hasn't had pints since the Coronalurgi started and I end up pouring a pint of moo juice down the sink every week >:(

Why don’t you freeze it? A pop bottle will do. We always freeze our milk - and even unfrozen it stays palatable for a week (‘though we generally have skimmed, semi-skimmed at a pinch).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 11 April, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »
The two of us go through about 9 pints of milk per week - a pint for breakfast and the rest for drinks, custard and cooking. The fridge door holds 5 glass bottles or two-pint plastic jobs. I've decided not to feel guilty if m&m go 5 days between deliveries and I choose other supply.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #64 on: 12 April, 2020, 08:18:50 am »
Is M&M delivering in glass bottles a new thing?

We used to get milk delivered in glass bottles from a local dairy (local as in less than three miles away), then they stopped selling milk (they still make the most excellent cheese though) and their delivery business was bought up by Express, so we were getting milk delivered from Canterbury instead. Then they got taken over by M&M, and suddenly our daily delivery was coming in plastic bottles from over 20 miles away, so we cancelled it.

Maybe it’s a regional thing - whether you get glass or plastic bottles may depend on who your local M&M supplier is.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 12 April, 2020, 11:48:36 pm »
I have had glass bottles for the 15+ years in which I've had doorstep delivery.
Express Dairy had a local depot, which has closed. Express became milkandmore, which was sold to Mūller.

My glass bottles initially bore the Express logo, then Dairy Crest, I think. Bottles are mostly blank now.

We had 'stray' bottles from Kirby and West, who had supplied us as kids in Leicester and we frequently get Cotteswold Dairy bottles.

I suppose I'm a bottle nerd.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 13 April, 2020, 01:29:15 pm »
There ought to be a word for a bottle-ologist but I don't know it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #67 on: 13 April, 2020, 04:43:03 pm »
We’ve had glass bottles for about 40 years. Originally local person, but now M&M. Faultless service. On hot days he carefully places bottles in a cool bag we leave out.
Apparently, since the virus, demand has gone through the roof. They are desperately recruiting milk deliverers. Let’s hope these new customers stay with them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 13 April, 2020, 04:46:49 pm »
At 81p per pint, I doubt this!

citoyen

« Reply #69 on: 13 April, 2020, 04:54:50 pm »
Back in the day, my best friend's dad was a milkman. IIRC, he operated as a franchise, so his income was based on the size of his round. I don't suppose you would be able to make a living doing that these days.

Would be interesting to see if that changes following this crisis.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 13 April, 2020, 09:19:23 pm »
The vendor of the house I own was a milkman, who retired to Poole 20 years ago. Does not look like he was struggling.

Davef

« Reply #71 on: 13 April, 2020, 11:46:33 pm »
The price of milk in supermarkets is low at 60 ppl, considering the farm gate price of 30 ppl, and is almost certainly loss leader for other sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citoyen

« Reply #72 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:17:13 pm »

You know, I don't remember the last time I bought an actual BRITISH pint of milk...

For those of you who still get glass bottles delivered, are the bottles still pints or have they been metricalised as well?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #73 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:27:35 pm »
They are 568ml (or a pint in old-fashioned parlance).

Plastic supermarket milk comes in pints unless it's fancy or lacto-free doesn't it?

I'm sure my Sainsbury's plastic semi-skimmed, delivered today, was 2 pints.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #74 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
I think they’re still pints but it isn’t printed on the outside.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...