Author Topic: What garmin & software for Europe?  (Read 1278 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
What garmin & software for Europe?
« on: 03 February, 2015, 08:31:43 am »
I have had an old 2005 Etrex  which I use with memory map software for planning routes.
Going to Spain in March to do a couple of months riding in better weather. Thinking maybe time to get new garmin setup. What is the unit to get, and what is the best way to load it with ride routes?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: What garmin & software for Europe?
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:33:42 am »
All Garmins are good for 'overseas' use - unlike some other makes which are rather country-specific as sold. 
So there is a current version of the Etrex - Etrex 10, 20 or 30, the 20 is usually felt to offer the best value.  It's a similar-sized package to the old Etrexes, same screen size, running on 2xAAs which I would see as an advantage when on tour.  The user interface is much changed, and not always for the better - but the same is going to be true of any modern Garmin.

If you fancy going touchscreen, or just having a bigger screen, then look at Garmin's Oregon range, they also use 2xAAs.  Though bear in mind that touchscreen on a Garmin is not exactly like your shiny iPhone, oh no.

The popular Edge range are Garmin's cycle-specific GPSs, they are stacked with training aids alongside all the usual stuff and with their internal USB-chargeable batteries they really are optimised for day-rides, rather than long place to place tours.  They are the neatest on the bars of course, at least until you start getting involved in external power packs to keep them going.  Though actually there's not that much difference in size and shape between an Edge 810 and an Etrex 30.

All the above can be loaded with Garmin's own maps which would cover Spain, or with the free OpenStreetMap in which case you'd be advised to check coverage for the area you're visiting - just view the map at http://www.openstreetmap.org/, then if it looks OK download the bits you need from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

For planning there are any number of online planning sites which are based on Google Maps or OSM or MapQuest (similar to garmin) or any or all of those.  Bikehike is popular in the UK because it has an OS view as well http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php but it also works OK for overseas use, but it only produces Tracks - not Routes (at least, it does produce Routes but they are unusable).  Most of the Planners are optimised towards producing Tracks.  A modern Garmin can navigate a Track pretty well - much better than the older models did.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:09:19 am »
I think you can use maps from gmaptool (for fenix watch  - but work on other low memory garmins with B+W display) on your etrex.

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:28:33 pm »
Garmin Edge Touring comes with European OSM maps on an SD card as standard.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:25:52 am »
Since you havnt got much time maybe better to stick with what you know works. The gmaptool maps are from OSM but simplified for low memory gps (basemap B+W display). Build the map tiles you want in Mapsource - rename to gmapsupp.img (or gbmapsupp.img ?) and load onto etrex (back everything up 1st).
I spent much of last 2 summers hiking in Spanish Pyrenees. I didnt find any Garmin map to be much good.
What worked for me as OSM coverage is v patchy was to plan route by filling in the blank bits using Bing - upload it to osm and then add that map tile to GPS.