Author Topic: 2023  (Read 30837 times)

Re: 2023
« Reply #100 on: 16 August, 2022, 11:16:15 am »
(ii) Even if you don't do any BRM events in 2021/22 do not assume you wont get a PBP place - start your SR in 2023 if you are in any way interested in PBP.   

Deano reminded me the other day it was PBP next year ( :facepalm:), so that's my plan.

Surprised theres no late season 200 BRMs this year (except for one or two down South), I always thought there was a bunch.
There'll be a few just a ferry ride away. Plenty of them in the Netherlands and Belgium, a few in France. There's even a 600 in september available.
We won't be doing the 600 but Mr Smith & I might take the tandem on a ferry for the lolz (and flat-ness, obv)

« Reply #101 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:18:55 pm »
There'll be a few just a ferry ride away. Plenty of them in the Netherlands and Belgium, a few in France. There's even a 600 in september available.
Long way off a 600 at the minute (probably a long way off a 200 in all honesty FML).

Looking at the Kalender, the Dronten and Maasland 200s look easy enough to get to. Hmm. Good job I've been practicing riding on the right all summer.

The start time is between 8am and 9am. The route runs through the Westland between the greenhouses to The Hague. In The Hague we drive a junction route so that you encounter as few traffic lights as possible. We cycle across the Binnenhof with the Torentje van Rutte, the center of power, where the rules are drawn up. Then you pass the Malieveld and we enter the Haagse Bos. We cycle past the palace of Willem-Alexander and Maxima and through the
estates of Wassenaar. We drive around Schiphol, where you can see how much space is needed for the runways. After Schiphol we drive through the Amsterdamse Bos, with the rowing course, of the Amsterdam Olympic Games of 1928. Then to the control in restaurant De Manen in Amstelveen. On the way back you cycle through the green Heart of Holland, with a very nice piece of easy gravel to Woerden where you can eat and drink at the station if you want. Via Bodegraven and past Gouda to the finish in Maasland.

We start at sports complex Avontura in Dronten, province of Flevoland. The province that was conquered from the sea about 80 years ago. It doesn't even get any flatter in the Netherlands. Long straight roads, rows of trees, looking out over the fields, that's the Vogelweg, 22 km long.
We leave Flevoland via the Stichtsebrug over the Gooimeer, which takes us to Huizen in the province of North Holland.
The first checkpoint will be on the 60th km in Bunschoten in the province of Utrecht. Almost the entire stretch through the fourth province, Gelderland, goes via hills, with the highest point of about 60 m on the popular Strava segment De Dellen. But even before De Dellen, the free control comes to Vierhouten, the village that lies between four forests, on the 100th km.
Over the IJsselbrug and the river IJssel we enter the fifth province, Overijssel, and drive a bit through the capital Zwolle. Via the dike of the river Zwarte Water we leave Zwolle fairly quickly and we enter the historic town of Hasselt, which was already inhabited in the year 1000 BC.
The last checkpoint is located in Meppel, the southernmost city of the sixth province of this route, Drenthe, at approximately 160 km.
We meander along the Stouwe ditch to the village of Zwartsluis, which used to be the transit port for peat from Drenthe. We have to cross the Zwarte Water again and that can be done via the ferry in Genemuiden (until 19:00) or via the bridge in Hasselt. From the ferry, the route follows the Kampeerzeedijk to Grafhorst.
It continues via IJsselmuiden and we drive into the beautiful city of Kampen. Kampen is easy to drive on via the Flevoweg, follow it further and we will enter Flevoland again at the Roggebotsluis.
Start and finish place Avontura offers free showers when consumption is consumed at the finish (otherwise 2 Euro).

The Dutch are not a fan of the old ridewithgps link are they...

« Reply #102 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:30:08 pm »

Don't worry. Closer to the event we make the GPX-tracks available for download on our website (and more information will appear soon).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #103 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:44:16 pm »

Don't worry. Closer to the event we make the GPX-tracks available for download on our website (and more information will appear soon).

A bit behind the pre qual time. But if anyone wants an early 200k qualifier. I've got a 200k starting in Amsterdam in early December.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #104 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:46:28 am »

A bit behind the pre qual time. But if anyone wants an early 200k qualifier. I've got a 200k starting in Amsterdam in early December.

J
No, pre-qualification is exactly what this season's events are. December might be too early for a qualifier, I'm not sure what the dates are but it's usually Jan-Mar for your 200.

« Reply #105 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:50:21 am »
<snip>Maasland</snip>

Is the one we're going for. I think this is last year's route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/37806915
Get in touch and we'll share travel?

First 200 for Mr Smith since 2019. What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #106 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:53:52 am »
No, pre-qualification is exactly what this season's events are. December might be too early for a qualifier, I'm not sure what the dates are but it's usually Jan-Mar for your 200.

Qualifiers can't be too early. As long as they're BRMs and in the right season as a rider you're fine.

The date ranges floating around are suggestions for organisers.

« Reply #107 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:59:02 am »

Qualifiers can't be too early. As long as they're BRMs and in the right season as a rider you're fine.

The date ranges floating around are suggestions for organisers.
Really? They can certainly be too late.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #108 on: 18 August, 2022, 02:03:10 pm »
Traditionally different regions had different starts to qualifying periods for each distance. ACP had hard limits for the last date for each distance regardless of location. The southern hemisphere could qualify with a full SR before Christmas while those above the Equator had to wait till New Year at least. Different countries started their qualifiers on different dates. Individual riders could ignore qualification date restrictions as long as each brevet complied with local restrictions (I took advantage of that at least once). That might all have changed this time round.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #109 on: 18 August, 2022, 07:16:43 pm »
An early november 200 usually draws quite a crowd and can indeed be used for your 200k qualifier.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #110 on: 18 August, 2022, 10:17:13 pm »
200's are 13 to a dozen  ;D  Though the Boekelo - Tecklenburg ride on December 28th is a nice tradition. I think the next one is the 10th anniversary? (the last two (three?) editions were canceled because of the plague)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #111 on: 19 August, 2022, 01:11:29 pm »
This thread reminded me that in 2007 I completed my 400k and 600km PBP qualifiers in Mallorca over a 4 day period in early May ie ahead of the UK window for the latter. 

I was persuaded to do this by my self appointed Audax mentor who was very wise.  We went off route on the 400km, missed a control and ended up doing 450km and finished the 400 less than 24 hours before the scheduled start of the 600km ride.   

On the flight back to Edinburgh he assured me that having bagged my SR I was one of the northern hemispheres first PBP qualifiers. 

Anyhow, all the UK based 200km rides from 01.11.2022 - 31.12.2022 appear to be BR not BRM so would be no use as PBP qualifiers.   

Looks like somebody UK based and super keen to get their 200k done asap after the start of the new season would have to travel.   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #112 on: 19 August, 2022, 01:20:38 pm »
Qualifying super early is a silly thing to do. Anecdotally, Aussies qualifying before Christmas DNF PBP at a noticeably higher rate.

felstedrider

« Reply #113 on: 19 August, 2022, 01:40:36 pm »
Forget about qualification plans.   Have you all booked your accommodation ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #114 on: 19 August, 2022, 02:38:44 pm »
I haven’t found anywhere that would let me book that far ahead yet. Perhaps next week?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #115 on: 19 August, 2022, 02:49:54 pm »
A different way to get from the UK to France for PBP

https://saillink.co.uk/

Dover to Boulogne-sur-Mer on a sailing boat. Space for two bikes per crossing
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #116 on: 30 August, 2022, 12:54:22 pm »
I've got my accommodation sorted for next year - an apartment on the Rue de Magenta in Paris owned by a former colleague who lets a select few (+ me!) use it from time to time in return for a  donation to his drinks cabinet. 

Its a minor schlep to get to Rambouillet via Montparnasse but overall well worth it.   With no bike check planned for 2023 its a journey that will only have to be made once anyway. 

If I don't ride next year I'll head over and help out. 

« Reply #117 on: 30 August, 2022, 02:01:23 pm »
Had never given it a thought that there might be BRM's in Majorca.

As a holiday destination at least once a year, I am certainly interested in riding at least a 200k there next year.

Will keep an eye on the website/s.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #118 on: 31 August, 2022, 09:12:23 am »
I've got my accommodation sorted for next year - an apartment on the Rue de Magenta in Paris owned by a former colleague who lets a select few (+ me!) use it from time to time in return for a  donation to his drinks cabinet. 

Its a minor schlep to get to Rambouillet via Montparnasse but overall well worth it.   With no bike check planned for 2023 its a journey that will only have to be made once anyway. 

How does one get to help out at the start? I missed out in 2019 but with a daughter just the other side of the Rambouillet forest I am very tempted for next year. Is it contact ACP directly or is it a question of knowing someone?

« Reply #119 on: 31 August, 2022, 07:43:03 pm »

At this stage contact the ACP. Or just drop in during the ACP remise des récompenses in january.

How does one get to help out at the start? I missed out in 2019 but with a daughter just the other side of the Rambouillet forest I am very tempted for next year. Is it contact ACP directly or is it a question of knowing someone?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #120 on: 12 September, 2022, 02:04:37 pm »

Might be worth dropping Chris Crossland (AUK Chair) a line as he is our ACP rep too. There may well be a need for some AUK helpers at the start - sometimes we have a stall at the registration.

I've realised that I am probably not going to be able to ride next year so may be doing that myself.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

moontoast

« Reply #121 on: 14 September, 2022, 06:14:42 am »
Is October inclusive for pre-qualifying for 2023?  Is Any BRM event in October good for pre-qualification?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #122 on: 14 September, 2022, 08:16:06 am »
Yes

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #123 on: 14 September, 2022, 08:52:34 pm »

Might be worth dropping Chris Crossland (AUK Chair) a line as he is our ACP rep too. There may well be a need for some AUK helpers at the start - sometimes we have a stall at the registration.

I've realised that I am probably not going to be able to ride next year so may be doing that myself.

As far as I'm aware, and this is information already in the public domain, there is going to be an online volunteer hub, possibly located at the slightly updated PBP website at www.paris-brest-paris.org which currently will allow you to see a web link to download a volunteer application form. However it hasn't yet been updated to let you have the form.

I think that we will find out more in the fullness of time, hopefully sooner rather than later.

For anybody looking to volunteer at one of the other controls, the word is that you should apply directly to the one(s) that you are interested in.

Chris

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #124 on: 14 September, 2022, 11:45:34 pm »
I've come to the conclusion that I can't afford 2023
Bugger.