Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638303 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #3025 on: 23 April, 2022, 12:31:14 pm »
My D-in-L has just sent me a video of a myriad of Ordinaries cycling over the bridge across the canal on the A12 in Hackney Wick.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3026 on: 03 May, 2022, 10:32:12 am »
I should have taken a photo but...

At the Fully Charged Show on Saturday was a Moulton APB (Land Rover branded and green) with a set of disc brakes. The owner of which was somewhere around the show but had parked his bike at the ARC bike display that my father was investigating to understand how their electrical wizardry interacts with the moulton front carrier.

I am suspicious that the owner of the bike is a resident here though.

« Reply #3027 on: 03 May, 2022, 03:18:34 pm »
A few owners have fitted disc brakes. The front ones need ingenious links to avoid using the unsprung forks, which are not stiff enough to take the reaction torque.

« Reply #3028 on: 11 May, 2022, 06:35:18 pm »
Seen in Brighton this morning

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3029 on: 11 May, 2022, 09:33:06 pm »
Dewey bars made serious...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3030 on: 23 May, 2022, 01:53:34 pm »
A cut above the usual cranky old grids seen parked outside Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles: a full-fat Thorn Nomad – heavy-duty racks, B17, Rohloff, the works.  Ridden by a grey-haired lady of mature years, lugging a pair of battered panniers that made my well-used Ortliebs look brand new.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3031 on: 23 May, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »
CFC: (Cheltenham) Cyclists Fighting Cancer appeal
cyclistfc.org.uk

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and outdoors

« Reply #3032 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:53:22 pm »
Here's the bike in action:

« Reply #3033 on: 02 June, 2022, 12:29:41 pm »
A Booomers Yonso bamboo-framed bike in Southsea yesterday.

https://booomers.com/products/bamboo-city-bike-yonso
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3034 on: 03 June, 2022, 06:16:46 pm »
A Schlitter recumbent in Penicuik (which excited one of my fellow bus passengers so much that she was telling someone on the phone about the funny lying-down bike).

« Reply #3035 on: 05 June, 2022, 08:31:27 pm »
Seen on the Bampton cycleway

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1xMC3Xu2nAo87sJS7
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3036 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:12:32 pm »
Didn't get a picture, unfortunately, but the other day, I saw a cargo bike adapted for child-carrying by means of a large Really Useful Box and a cushion.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3037 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:50:45 am »
Sunday evening at Temple Meads I got chatting to the rider of a rather nice 1990s Bob Jackson. Lug lining and carriage lining that was clearly hand painted but still neat. He'd just got back from a tour from Shropshire, starting Wednesday, and was now heading back to London on the train. A good way to spend a long weekend. Then I noticed he had no bar tape! Bare metal bars! What hipster nightmare was this? His hands must be bruised to pulp! "I got the bike together and finished packing on Wednesday morning" he said, pulling a roll of tape out of his bar bag. "I'm going to tape up the bars on the train so I can at least ride across London in comfort." He had, however, found the time to put a bit of tape (expensive Newbaum's cotton cloth stuff) round the edges of his bottle cages to stop them rattling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3038 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:17:00 pm »
While chasing barakta into the headwind on the A38 cycleway this afternoon, I spotted what looked like oncoming recumbent tricycle.  Which - fairly rapidly, on account of the relative speed - resolved itself to be a racing wheelchair with the rider in an extremely aero prone position.  They briefly exchanged grins with barakta as they passed.

I guess that's Commonwealth Games related - while wheelchair users and the occasional handcyclist aren't uncommon on the cycleway, that's the first time I've seen someone on such a performance-oriented machine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3039 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:50:02 am »
Claim to fame, surely – exchanging grins with someone who is possibly a Commonwealth Games medallist.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3040 on: 07 August, 2022, 10:47:30 pm »
Bruges bikes:

IMG_0348_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Dunno why the wheel is such a secret:

IMG_0407_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_0408_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #3041 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:33:15 pm »
I've started to see a recumbent hand cycle going into/coming out of Northampton.
Schlumpf and Alfine hubs.

Good U-tube on "The Car-Replacement Bicycle (the bakfiets)" here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhzEnWCgHA&ab_channel=NotJustBikes

Luck ...........  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3042 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:42:06 pm »
Good U-tube on "The Car-Replacement Bicycle (the bakfiets)" here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhzEnWCgHA&ab_channel=NotJustBikes

I watched that earlier.  I thought the child's eye view of the back of the car seat was a particularly powerful message.

Like one of the commenters, I realised that I can remember minute details of my parents' cars upholstery from when I was a child.  I also mostly remember landmarks (bridges, interesting streetlights, fences, buildings with unusual roofs) from above eye level on certain routes, while having no real idea of where they were.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3043 on: 10 August, 2022, 08:33:40 am »
My childhood car memories are of sticking my head out of the window on the motorway and sliding along the back seat to look at the speedometer. Also of bare legs sticking painfully to the vinyl seats of my grandpa's Austin Allegro. But this was the 70s, before seatbelts and child seats. If I think of my son when he was a toddler, he enjoyed the motion of being in a car but it never made him laugh like being in a bike seat did (mainly when we splashed through puddles, particularly in the forest) although his view there must have been mostly of my back. The other thing he did was push me in the back when we were going uphill  :D .

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3044 on: 10 August, 2022, 08:48:30 am »

I watched that earlier.  I thought the child's eye view of the back of the car seat was a particularly powerful message.

Like one of the commenters, I realised that I can remember minute details of my parents' cars upholstery from when I was a child.  I also mostly remember landmarks (bridges, interesting streetlights, fences, buildings with unusual roofs) from above eye level on certain routes.

You can have the same experience from the second row of seats in our LEL-issue van.  They're about 2 feet lower than those in front.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3045 on: 10 August, 2022, 08:51:50 am »
There are a couple of box bikes in regular use round here and a Christiania trike that was used to ferry two kids to primary school. Non-electric, up St Michael's Hill:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3046 on: 14 August, 2022, 09:16:23 am »

Northbound Elliptigo by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  DNF at Boston southbound though another one did finish.

« Reply #3047 on: 10 October, 2022, 07:20:28 pm »
There is a bloke who used to ride a slightly ratty looking trike (possibly a Pashley) around the Loughborough area who has now upgraded to a very smart looking Nihola.  I got a photo of it a while ago outside Aldi but it was only when I saw him this evening that I remembered to remember the make.

Not the best of photo's with various Sheffield stands, shopping trolleys and random other bikes cluttering up the image!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3048 on: 14 October, 2022, 09:36:04 am »
Not exactly seen, but do we have a "Random unusual bikes in unconnected news photographs" thread?

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/jurassic-spark-at-ashton-court/

I haven't been to Ashton Court for a while and didn't even know there were animatronic dinosaurs there.

« Reply #3049 on: 25 October, 2022, 04:31:14 pm »
Yesterday was checking tyre pressures on car and became aware of a couple of lads on bikes who had stopped on the pavement by my car. I don't think they'd seen me and was a bit suspicious so wandered to front of car. One lad had two new tyres round his shoulder and I looked down and saw a set of rockshox forks which I wasn't expecting. He then cycled off and looked to be on what I guess was a late 90s Marin full suspension bike