Author Topic: Marple Grimpeurs  (Read 8958 times)

Re: Marple Grimpeurs
« Reply #25 on: 25 July, 2015, 09:11:19 pm »
Arse.
I messed around too long and the Dark Peak is full.
Undeterred, I've entered the White Peak.
I DNF'ed last time after a puncture that took ages to fix, using the Rohloff bike and faffing around like a true faffer.
I hope the weather is better this time ...........

ETA: it wasn't the White Peak, it was whichever of the rides goes over Snake Pass.

« Reply #26 on: 31 July, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »
Whoever left the cycling glasses at the Ring o'Bells at the end of the Dark Peak can pick them up from me at the start of the White Peak

Mike

« Reply #27 on: 03 August, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
I rode the White Peak yesterday (Sunday) to check that every thing is OK for Wednesday, and it is.  I noted that the car park outside the library was being dug up, but that should be alright by Wednesday.

However, it gives me a chance to remind people not to park there anyway - the day visitors to the elderly centre quite understandably don't like us taking up all the car parking space, and we are asked to park on the Hollins Lane car park, next to the fire station.  There is a quick way through to our start from the top of that car park.

I had a non-control stop at the No-Car Café at Rushup Hall, a café much used by Saddleworth Clarion.  It's worth the stop but perhaps a bit early at 22km.

On my journey down Perryfoot Dale I encountered a load of riders coming in the opposite direction, probably a Sportive as I didn't recognise anyone.

I've sometimes toyed with the idea of using Monsall Trail, an old railway line that tunnels through the White Peak, rather than going over the top.  However I decided that the views into the Monsall Dale from Cressbrook, and from Monsall Head, make the traditional route worth keeping.

Monyash Café was busy but I still received my bacon and mushroom Oatcake without delay.  We're expected on Wednesday.

I couldn't find my info answer at Buxworth, so I'll have to put an alternative question on the brevet card.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
a load of riders coming in the opposite direction, probably a Sportive as I didn't recognise anyone.

Indeed, it was an Evans Ride, using roads familiar to those riding the Marple Grimpeurs.  I think we offer the better deal, don't you? 

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #29 on: 04 August, 2015, 10:35:59 pm »
No one offers a better deal than Peak Audax!

« Reply #30 on: 05 August, 2015, 02:40:34 pm »
I shouldn't be at home writing this, I should still be riding the White Peak.
I packed at Hayfield with bike problems that I couldn't diagnose. It turned out to be worn teeth on the small ring not playing nicely with the new chain. The bike mechanic at my LBS found the problem by riding the bike; the teeth looked to be in fairly good nick but he worked out what the graunching through the pedals and the back and forwards flicking of the RD meant. A new ring fitted while I waited (no labour charge, I'll take in biscuits  :thumbsup:) seems to have solved the problem completely. The cassette had been changed with the chain.

Today's positives are that I had a ride to Marple, I rode up some of the lanes near Birch Vale that I used to run on and I had an even better ride back to home (Sett Valley Trail, Marple Canal, Middlewood Way), I've avoided the rain and the bike is, hopefully, sorted for next week.
Unusually for me where audax is concerned, I'm not thinking of the negatives.

ETA: another positive is that I went over 10,000 miles on the Disco.

« Reply #31 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:38:25 am »
Andrew, what route did you take from Marple to CCH?

« Reply #32 on: 06 August, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »
I went along the Middlewood Way to the A6 but then re-traced to come out near Torkington Park.
After that it was, from memory, Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, Didsbury and CCH.

My total day's riding is here:- https://www.strava.com/activities/361792722

There is an additional, unnecessary loop along the Mersey to make it 50 miles  ::-)

« Reply #33 on: 06 August, 2015, 09:30:02 pm »
Thanks, Andrew.  Sorry you were frustrated by the mechanical.

Peter

« Reply #34 on: 12 August, 2015, 08:33:19 pm »
Unlike last week (and the previous time I rode this route), I managed to get round today.
It wasn't pretty and it certainly wasn't fast but I did it.

Many thanks to the organiser and the helpers en-route and at the finish and hello to the (few) riders that I managed to talk to.
FWIW, I was wearing the Subaru SS shirt and riding a black On One disc bike with red hubs.

I've just put my entry in for the West Peak Grimpeur next Wednesday..

Can we have the same weather please ?

« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »
I missed yesterday's ride but I'm glad to see that it equalled the record entry for the MidPeak Grimpeur on perhaps what is my favourite Marple Grimpeur.  Just think, if it weren't for PBP, I would have ridden and made it a record.

crazy diamond

« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2015, 12:29:12 am »
It was a good turn out, Mike, on a glorious day, and although it was a bit hazy the views from the top of the climbs were still pretty amazing.  The enforced route change after Hathersage seemed to go down well, with many people preferring it to the usual climb up to the Gliding Club. Just the two toughest rides to come now!

crazy diamond

« Reply #37 on: 14 August, 2015, 11:14:24 am »
PS  Forgot to say:  All the very best for PBP, Mike.

« Reply #38 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:50:32 pm »
West Peak today. I had some issues near the end (see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.19175) but it was a great day out.
Many thanks, as always, to the organisers and helpers. The banana at the top of Gun Hill was particularly welcome  ;D.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 19 August, 2015, 11:56:07 pm »
IRTA "Top Gun Hill"   :D

crazy diamond

« Reply #40 on: 26 August, 2015, 09:09:43 pm »
Well that's it then, the August Midweek Grimpeurs are over for another year.  A bit of a puncture fest today, but I think everyone got back ok.

For those of us who like Hilly Hundreds, I'm intending to replace the Monyash Peak at Easter with the Goyt Peak Super Grimpeur.  This has 3 AAA points for 100km ride, and is arguably the toughest 100km in the North West, perhaps in the country?  If your winter training goes to plan, then come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

« Reply #41 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:57:23 pm »
Well that's it then, the August Midweek Grimpeurs are over for another year.  A bit of a puncture fest today, but I think everyone got back ok.

For those of us who like Hilly Hundreds, I'm intending to replace the Monyash Peak at Easter with the Goyt Peak Super Grimpeur.  This has 3 AAA points for 100km ride, and is arguably the toughest 100km in the North West, perhaps in the country?  If your winter training goes to plan, then come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

One of my favourite rides.  It started off as a Rob Kilby 100 from Stockport about 20 years ago.  The start has been moved to the more cycling-friendly Marple, where the Ring o'Bells look after us at the finish. 

Outstanding climbs to Pymms Chair (twice!, once from Kettleshulme, once from Jenkins Chapel), Goyt Valley and Axe Edge, Royal Cottage, a real stinker of a climb to Macclesfield Forest Chapel, Chinley Head, Gorsey Brow and Apple Street.

Gulp!  I might just do the Icecream Wensdae as the "flat" alternative

« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:32:17 am »
Anyone riding any/all of these this year? Can only get the one Wednesday off this month so I'll be on the Staffs Peak in a couple of weeks!

« Reply #43 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:18:21 pm »
Anyone riding any/all of these this year? Can only get the one Wednesday off this month so I'll be on the Staffs Peak in a couple of weeks!

Yes, if everyone turned up today we could have a record number of validations.  A bit windy but a good day out.

« Reply #44 on: 17 August, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »
Great ride on the Staffs Peak, huge thanks to the organisers, helpers and whoever performed the appropriate ritual/sacrifice to guarantee good weather.

Plenty of stunning views from the tops and traffic free for long stretches. Definitely one to ride again, although maybe not on the rather portly commuter bike next time...

« Reply #45 on: 13 July, 2017, 11:56:14 am »
Well, it's July 2017 and the Marple Grimpeurs are soon to be with us.  Would you believe that this is the 18th season of summer grimpeurs from Marple?

Anyone riding these?  Silly question - I know the answer is yes because we've started to receive entries.  The first one (Dark Peak) is on the 26th July.  We then have a week's break for LEL, then it's Mid Peak (Aug 9th), White Peak (16th), West Peak (23rd) and the Staffs Peak (30th).

Start from Marple library, finish at Ring o'Bells. 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #46 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:38:05 am »
On the West Peak, the Norbury Hollow route is unlikely to be available.  The road has been marked 'closed' more often than not, for the last few months.  The short section of A6 nearby is also radically changed.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #47 on: 15 July, 2017, 06:22:55 am »
I can confirm Norbury Hollow road is fully open again now with a lovely new surface. After months of having to squeeze past a fence (and some very disinterested 'security') and ride a short section of cyclocross. At least you still have the preceding cobbles to spice things up, the rest feels a bit boring now.

A6 has been changed slightly. This just adds an extra LH turn at the lights where the 'new' road starts.

I'm sure Mike is all over it :)

« Reply #48 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:35:14 am »
On the West Peak, the Norbury Hollow route is unlikely to be available.  The road has been marked 'closed' more often than not, for the last few months.  The short section of A6 nearby is also radically changed.

Hey, that's me (VC167) and Chris Crookes (no helmet) showing the way, followed by a Macc Wheeler in orange (possibly Jim Ennis, sadly no longer with us), Neil Goldsmith in blue and Geoff Bell in the AUK jersey (now enjoying his retirement from riding Audax, after many years of collecting AAA points and the odd SR).

Note the sunny conditions and smiles.

« Reply #49 on: 25 July, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
Looks like mudguards might be useful for tomorrow's Dark Peak