Author Topic: Whamageddon 2022  (Read 6011 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Whamageddon 2022
« Reply #50 on: 19 December, 2022, 06:01:37 pm »
Ok, that makes sense, ta.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #51 on: 19 December, 2022, 10:58:16 pm »
I should be safe now. Pub tonight was only doing 50s and 60s Christmas stuff and I don't intend going out again before the 25th.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 20 December, 2022, 01:15:27 pm »
Fairy Tale of New York would make another good candidate

I definitely remember this version being played before everyone settled on Wham.  There was a 'no Poguerolling' rule.

Mariah Carey would also work...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 20 December, 2022, 01:18:58 pm »
Just been whammed.  The shitty Freesat box* decided to go mute again (it takes a 30 minute power down to restore it) so I channel hopped on the other satellite bix, the one I nornally use for radio.  Magic, you bastards.

*they took manufacturing in-house, there is one maker (Arris) and the firmware is dire.  S/h Humax boxes sell at a premium because the new ones are so unreliable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #54 on: 20 December, 2022, 03:54:13 pm »
Got Whammed walking past the children's play centre on the way back from the shops.

Should have gone out this morning or left it until after dinner, chiz.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #55 on: 20 December, 2022, 06:52:49 pm »
Bugger. Just been whammed.
Quiet room in the pub is being repainted.  Had to join the noisy, shouty, forced overloud laughing room.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #56 on: 20 December, 2022, 07:01:15 pm »
During 1 ½ pints I've endured every Xmas song ever.  Now Noddy's told me IT'S CHRISTMAS!  I'm buggering off home.  >:(

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #57 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:09:14 pm »
Just been whammed. 
Got Whammed walking past the children's play centre
Bugger. Just been whammed.
My God, it's like the Somme out there!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #58 on: 20 December, 2022, 10:38:39 pm »
I'm still standing
yeah yeah yeah!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #59 on: 21 December, 2022, 10:15:32 am »
If you expose yourself to a tiny second worth of Wham, are you then inoculated against it?  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #60 on: 21 December, 2022, 10:42:25 am »
If you expose yourself to a tiny second worth of Wham, are you then inoculated against it?  :thumbsup:

I thought that just reading this thread would have had a homeopathic effect to keep me safe.
Which proves homeopathy doesn't work.

« Reply #61 on: 23 December, 2022, 05:02:20 pm »
Bollocks. The bastards on PM just played a five second clip.  I'm out.  So so close.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 23 December, 2022, 05:05:22 pm »
Mr Sainsbury's emporium of sparsely stocked comestibles was absolutely rammed (no trolleys to be had, and I think a fight was about to break out in the cheese aisle), and consequently if they were playing music, I couldn't hear it.  Having narrowly survived the taxi back from the hospital yesterday (featuring both Mariah and the tail end of the Pogues), I think that means I'm safe.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2022, 09:22:11 pm »
I don't know whether it's my ability to totally zone out of otiose intrusions into my auditory system, but I honestly couldn't tell you whether Mr. Waitrose's Emporium of Higher Class Toothy Comestibles actually plays any music to its customers or not.

I'm sure if it had been Bach I would have noticed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 24 December, 2022, 12:01:48 am »
I'm reasonably sure they don't play music in Waitrose, although they might make an exception for Christmas.  It was my backup option had lactose-free milk been absent from Mr Sainsbury's shelves, but that would involve a hill and a horrible contraflow cycle lane - to say nothing of paying an extra 50% or so for milk - so I was glad it wasn't necessary.

ASDA are the worst, in that they turn the music up to a level where you can hear it over the general noise of a busy supermarket.

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 24 December, 2022, 07:13:28 am »
I started watching a film on telly last night called Last Christmas. Heavily themed around the song.

Truly terrible. I managed about 15 minutes of it before deciding I’d seen more than enough. My son told me the twist that comes at the end. So glad I didn’t waste my time sticking around for that.

Anyway, the song appears in the opening titles and again in the first few minutes of the film, so I guess that means I lose. Wevs.

rogerzilla

« Reply #66 on: 24 December, 2022, 08:08:44 am »
If you look on ITV X or iPlayer, there are literally tens of terrible straight-to-video romantic films with "Christmas" in the title.  I imagine they cost almost nothing to license.

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 24 December, 2022, 10:31:40 am »
If you look on ITV X or iPlayer, there are literally tens of terrible straight-to-video romantic films with "Christmas" in the title.  I imagine they cost almost nothing to license.

I'm well aware of the genre, but it would be slightly unfair to lump Last Christmas in with those. I vaguely recall it being a well publicised cinematic release a few years ago and it even has proper A-list stars whose names you'd know - including Emma Thompson, who also co-wrote it.

Of course, if I cared about the Wham thing, I wouldn't have made the schoolboy error of even starting to watch a film called Last Christmas, but I thought it might be a suitably untaxing way to pass an hour or two while waiting for the call from my son to be picked up from his night out. Was expecting something of the Love Actually level, but it's way more inane than that. Lost my patience with it very quickly.

Without wishing to spoil it for anyone who has it on their must-see list, the premise appears to be basically a literal interpretation of the song's lyrics.

Also heard a cover of the song on 6music this morning - had to go out before it finished so didn't catch who it was by, but it was one of those affectedly ironic takes by some rock band that are so very irritating.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #68 on: 25 December, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »
OK - who's left in?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #69 on: 25 December, 2022, 12:23:49 pm »
Well, I guess George Michael won't have heard it this year - yet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 25 December, 2022, 01:04:28 pm »
I remain unwhammed.

« Reply #71 on: 25 December, 2022, 02:21:37 pm »
If we have to survive until Xmas Day I'm fine.
If hearing it on Xmas Day counts, I'm out: friends have Xmas "tunes" on and, sadly......

« Reply #72 on: 25 December, 2022, 02:32:12 pm »
Don't be sad, Andrew!  I think there is a lot of standard forum type herdism going on.  Last Christmas is so successful because it's actually a very good record, made by a superb singer.  It shares its incredibly well-worn chord sequence (I - VI - II - V) with probably half the songs ever written from about the 18th century including At Last and Blue Moon, which I've never heard a single complaint about!

But, funnily enough, I haven't heard it this year, though I've made no attempt to avoid it and I go shopping like everyone else.  So I guess that makes me a winner as well as culturally informative!

Whatever - MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL !! 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #73 on: 25 December, 2022, 05:03:55 pm »
I cannot tell a lie. HK turned on the radio yesterday morning and before I’d even opened my eyes, I was gone. So close!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #74 on: 25 December, 2022, 08:52:34 pm »
If we have to survive until Xmas Day I'm fine.
If hearing it on Xmas Day counts, I'm out: friends have Xmas "tunes" on and, sadly......
The game only runs until 0000 on Xmas Day, so you are a winner!