Author Topic: A dumb Raspberry Pi question? probably  (Read 1415 times)

A dumb Raspberry Pi question? probably
« on: 20 July, 2019, 07:23:08 pm »
I have a RPi 3B running I think Debian, preloaded, and I can't get it to log onto my wifi network.  It finds all the networks in the area and if I select mine from the list it asks for my Pre Shared Key.  So I enter my WEP code for that network and press enter and nothing changes.  However if I select an open BT hotspot it does log onto that and displays a screen in the browser that asks me to log onto BT.  It also updated the time and date, so it can connect.

Is a PSK the same as the WEP code for the SSID or is it something different?

I feel I've fallen at the first hurdle, if not a DNS.

Thanks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A dumb Raspberry Pi question? probably
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2019, 07:36:04 pm »
Are you really using WEP?

If so, it's probably sufficiently prehistoric that the GUI tool isn't inserting the right syntax in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, because it was designed after everyone had switched to WPA (because WEP is so laughably insecure).  You'll probably have to edit it manually.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88644 refers.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2019, 07:38:20 pm »
I've just created a hotspot on my phone and it connects happily.  The security on the phone is WPA2 PSK.

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2019, 07:40:44 pm »
How do I know if it is WEP or WPA?  Same result if I try to connect to my Virgin network which is somewhat newer, it has both 2G and 5G connections.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »
What version of debian and what prgram are you using to access the wireless.

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2019, 08:11:43 pm »
Don't know but the Debian Reference guide is V2 and what do you mean what program am I using?

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2019, 11:03:41 pm »
If it is a Pi3B (or most other versions/flavours) of Pi, running a pre-loaded OS would it not be Rasbian, of which the latest version number I do not know (but I am still on the previous version)?
If the Pi finds your network then the most likely thing is that you are on WPA not WEP. I have gone round in circles like this sometimes with Puppy where you have to register a profile before connecting with it. Choose the wrong protocol, you can't connect (obviously) but just try to delete the wrong profile! I didn't have this problem with the Pi though, I hit the right one first time. Normal that you get no failure information, just a failed connection.

Incidentally with the Pi, if you are using a non-english keyboard you have to connect with a wired line to set the thing up before configuring the wi-fi. NOOBS users beware!
Also watch out Pi3 needs cooling if you are using it fairly long periods. Mine used to cut out through overheating (some sort of heat security device), you can actually see this on the screen. Now I have a modified case with a little PC processor fan (mine runs off a second USB power supply, which is not enough volts but works fine) which allows the Pi to run Youtube all day if I want (the monitor is the telly).

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2019, 06:32:27 am »
I've been running my Pi3b plus as a media device for a number of years now and never had it overheat/shutdown. I have once in that time noticed the on screen thermometer flash - that was when it was decoding an H265 file.

The new PI 4 though - that is getting hot at the moment. They've released a firmware update to reduce it a few degrees. I'm hanging fire to see if there is a hardware update, though I doubt that is likely in the near future.

« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2019, 09:55:24 pm »
I've been running my Pi3b plus as a media device for a number of years now and never had it overheat/shutdown. I have once in that time noticed the on screen thermometer flash - that was when it was decoding an H265 file.

The new PI 4 though - that is getting hot at the moment. They've released a firmware update to reduce it a few degrees. I'm hanging fire to see if there is a hardware update, though I doubt that is likely in the near future.

What OS are you running as a media centre - one of the Kodi distributions? FWIW I am running stock Raspbian and since the main use is streaming Youtube mine is probably decoding continuous H265 streams that probably corresponds. I have Librelec which I have never noticed overheating but then it doesn't get used much or for very long. We have failed to configure it for french catch up TV. Also do you have a passive radiator or nothing at all - and in what case?

Interested to hear comments on the Pi4. My daughter and girlfriend are thinking of getting one (possibly for a server).

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2019, 07:07:27 am »
Sorry - just seen this, yes Kodi based Librelec.

No passive radiator - stock (enclosed) box.

Re PI 4. Most people who care about heat I've seen post use an open topped housing with a passive heatsink on. Seems to drop temperatures sufficiently.