Author Topic: Lunatic nutjob to break sound barrier jumping from balloon at the edge of space  (Read 26602 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
This is the sort of reassuring story that tells me the age of daredevil adventurers isn't over quite yet:

Man to Break Sound Barrier Jumping from Edge of Space - Red Bull Stratos - Gizmodo

This man—looking as badass as Ed Harris in The Right Stuff—is Felix Baumgartner. He actually has The Right Stuff: The cojones to reach the edge of space in a weather balloon. Up to 120,000 feet—and then jump.

Baumgartner will join United States Air Force Captain Joe Kittinger as the only man to jump from near space altitude. Kittinger jumped on August 16, 1960, from the Excelsior III balloon, which at the time was flying at 102,800 feet—that's 19.47 miles or 31 kilometers up in the sky.

Kittinger's original jump for Project Excelsior was about proving the technology needed to fly planes like the U2.

Incidentally, James May's flight in the U2 is only available for two more days on iPlayer.  Watch it whilst you can  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

You want a go, don't you?   ;D
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Meh...  I reckon it'll end up like the last attempt...

...with the balloon blowing away before he can even get into it.   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Can you fly, Bobby?  :D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Incidentally, James May's flight in the U2 is only available for two more days on iPlayer.  Watch it whilst you can  :)

I watched it ages back, and my view was "Arse, why does he get a go in a U2 just because he's a TV presenter". :demon: >:( ;D

Still, go Felix Baumgartner, go go go nutters of the world. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

...go go go nutters of the world. :thumbsup:

Is that the official starters' order phrase for Audax UK?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

...go go go nutters of the world. :thumbsup:

Is that the official starters' order phrase for Audax UK?

Don't look at me, I've never done an Audax in my life.  I strictly stick to non-sanctioned events for nutters, such as FNRttCs and camping in the snow (expect that all the snow had melted by then).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Thank you for the James May reminder. Just watched it. Brilliant. I'd have cried my eyes out with emotion I'm afraid.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
It marvellous, isn't it?  There's a thread on PPRuNe about it, which makes interesting reading:

James May - U2 (the spy plane) Trip - PPRuNe Forums

(along with a video link if iPlayer's no longer doing it by the time anyone's reading this ;))

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Felix Bumgravy, the man's got the right name for the job!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Thanks for posting the link to JM and the U2, Charlotte. Don't usually watch things like this but it was a break well spent  :)

gonzo

Should I point out that, aerodynamically, he's highly unlikely to reach mach 1 (ie. the speed of sound).

The reason looks a little like this:

If he is going very high there wont be that much drag as there will be very little air density.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gonzo

If he is going very high there wont be that much drag as there will be very little air density.

Speed of sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The higher you go, the greater the speed of sound.

Won't he get ron to bit by aerodynamic friction?
I believe that was the fate of the bodies falling from the shuttle, although their craft broke up at very high speed, so that might have something to do with it.
However, most airline bomb victims are stripped of clothing by aerodynamic drage during the descent, so some flappiness would definately need t be avoided.

I am pretty sure that this is Kittinger's jump used as video for Boards of Canada's Dayvan Cowboy.

Looks pretty straightforward - you just have to wait ages then step over the edge.  ;)

LEE

Won't he get ron to bit by aerodynamic friction?
I believe that was the fate of the bodies falling from the shuttle, although their craft broke up at very high speed, so that might have something to do with it.
However, most airline bomb victims are stripped of clothing by aerodynamic drage during the descent, so some flappiness would definately need t be avoided.

That's because they are exposed to 600mph speeds in very dense air I expect.

There won't be much air around when he takes his first step.  I'd expect the slow build-up of air pressure to slow him down to "Normal" terminal velocity (125mph) as he ends his fall.

Space Shuttles burn up because they are doing collossal speeds as they hit the thin atmosphere.

PS.  I love the "Dayvan Cowboy" track.  Cue Spotify

microphonie

• Tyke 2
I'd be more impressed if he took his surfboard with him & recreated the BOC Dayvan Cowboy video  ;D
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Martin

in the James May programme he mentioned that if he bailed out at the max operating ceiling of the U-2 he would face a freefall of 13 miles before he could use his chute;

still strapped to his seat

IIRC Concorde flew at only 10000 ft below the U-2: I assume the only pressurised craft to fly at this altitude.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Kittinger fell arse-first, his limbs trailing like the feathers of a shuttlecock, to keep his fall stable.  He had to decide when to turn by using his analogue instruments.  IIRC, one froze up.

I remember him quoted as saying that it was really weird at first because it was so quiet.  The air was so thin that it made almost no sound as he plummeted through it.  Once he hit the thickosphere * it was all roars and woosh and good old-fashioned terminal velocity.

Balls of solid rock. 

* technical term
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Incidentally, James May's flight in the U2 is only available for two more days on iPlayer.  Watch it whilst you can  :)

It's on my HD... a GREAT program.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Felix Baumgartner, sounds like a baddie from a Cold War-era spy novel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I've just watched and enjoyed the U2 programme but am wondering how the two technicians were able to function in the lack of pressure chamber wearing just mask and helmet while he needed the full suit. Is it training?

Also James May is wearing odd boots at one point, one smooth soled and one with a tread. Dull but true.

Talking about it being quiet high up, did I read somewhere that on re-entry astronauts hear molecules of air beginning to hit the capsule?
Somehow I think this cannot be right - you could not hear the impact of a single molecule.