Author Topic: Lunatic nutjob to break sound barrier jumping from balloon at the edge of space  (Read 26592 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Felix reports his face heater isn't working.  Sound has now been cut.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

I'm watching two different feeds and have lost sound on both, since the moment Felix said he cannot feel the heating 'on'.

Edit:Audio restored.

where are the outside distance shots coming from?
Is there a chasing balloon with cameras?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
where are the outside distance shots coming from?
Is there a chasing balloon with cameras?

They showed it earlier.  Two NASA trucks parked downrange with enormous stabilised uber-zoom tracking cameras.

No way! :o :o :o
At that distance?

On the stream that I'm watching (bostinnno.com), it showed a brief shot of his mum, who is clearly finding it all very entertaining! I suppose this is only slightly more mad than the stuff he usually gets up to.

I love this stuff.

Puts a risk assessment for a game of conkers in the playground into perspective.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Must be a sure Darwin awards winner or at least honourable mentionings if he survive the jump.

It's interesting that they are happy to transmit this live, whereas AFAIR a recent wire-walk across the Niagara Falls could only be transmitted live if a safety cable was deployed. Ain't no safety net here.

Just tuned in. Is that white-haired guy driving the desk at mission control Kittinger, or some regular NASA bod?
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Just tuned in. Is that white-haired guy driving the desk at mission control Kittinger, or some regular NASA bod?

It's Kittinger. He has jump form.

Just over 15 mls up now...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Um, at what height is he going to jump?

Does the capsule itself have a 'chute, in case for some reason he couldn't get out?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Andrij

• Андрій
Jumping from 23mi. up.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Does the capsule itself have a 'chute, in case for some reason he couldn't get out?

From what I heard on BBC News 24, it does, although he needed to get above a certain height before it can be deployed. The first km or two was the most dangerous.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Dunno about whether it's a manned bail-out option, but there's lots of video being recorded that they'll want to recover, so yes.  It's the red and white bit in line between the capsule and the balloon.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
It's interesting that they are happy to transmit this live, whereas AFAIR a recent wire-walk across the Niagara Falls could only be transmitted live if a safety cable was deployed. Ain't no safety net here.

I believe they have added 30 seconds of delay on the transmission to hopefully avoid the possibilities of someone's demise being broadcast.

Truly amazing stuff and, not to detract from his bravery, the thought of doing this 50 years ago is even more terrifying!

Really gripping though. Brave, brave chap.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Andrij

• Андрій
Both BBC and National Geographic documentaries coming up in a month or so.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I'm watching this on the web in the chilly office - is it on Freeview at all in the warm lounge, do you know?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

I'm watching this on the web in the chilly office - is it on Freeview at all in the warm lounge, do you know?

Just think of the ambient temp where Felix is  :D

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
That's one crazy motherfucker right there.

Edit: Not you Auntie H.

Interesting that at 80000ft it was -50 outside, but now at 105000 its warmed to -23C?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson