Author Topic: Why do women and girls have long hair?  (Read 17998 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Why do women and girls have long hair?
« Reply #50 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »
I can't stand hair in my face any more (I used to have a Thelwell fringe).
But it was a pita getting it cut often enough.
Eventually I discovered that it never gets any longer than it is now and so haven't had it cyut since, nice little hair tie keeps it out of my face.

I tried pigtails at the weekend.  Tall guy told me I looked like Pocahontas and not to do it again.  My mum stopped telling me what to do with my hair years ago as she worked out I never paid any attention anyway (along with her exhortations to wear makeup I mean what's that all about, makeup).

I do not think either son would rejoice if I had short hair.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »
What we need to know is how many ladies on this forum have hair they can sit on?

I did, but the ends got all nasty because I kept sitting on it.  It's now lower back length, through a combination of slightly enthusiastic barakta-trimming and a small accident involving POWER TOOLS.

Not being one for preening and products (other than dye, and that's been a while), I'm all about minimal effort.  Thanks to gravity, my hair is by far the least effort when it's long.  It may take ages to dry, but I can sit at the computer and do other things while it's drying.  When it's chin-length I have to take an active role in the drying process in order to persuade the wavyness to curl in sensible directions.  If it's much shorter it looks good for all of 10 minutes after leaving the hairdresser, then develops a mind of its own and sticks out in random directions.

I also hate hairdressers, ever since one managed to draw blood when I was a child.  Long hair is an excellent excuse for avoiding them.

I hadn't thought about the women-of-a-certain-age factor.  I suppose that's true.  Though at the rate mine's going silvery grey, I expect I'll be able to pull off the spooky goth look by then.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:26:44 pm »
What we need to know is how many ladies on this forum have hair they can sit on?

I did, but the ends got all nasty because I kept sitting on it.  It's now lower back length, through a combination of slightly enthusiastic barakta-trimming and a small accident involving POWER TOOLS.

Eek! You've just reminded me of a number of horror stories involving go-karts and long hair.  :sick:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »
I generally make sure mine is long enough to tie it back out the way when I am operating at work. It gets more in the way if it's too short to tie back or tuck behind my ears. In general the longer your hair is the more different things you could potentially do with it on nights out, although I don't usually bother.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #54 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

Being bald looked even more odd tho'

I didn't mind being bald- it was just a touch chilly, that's all.

How come this thread is up to 4 pages already?  For goodness sake!

LEE

« Reply #55 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »
I shaved mine off (#3) as soon as I noticed male-pattern bald spot appearing.

There is nothing, NOTHING D'YA HEAR?, nothing, more terrible than balding blokes with long hair.

...although this chap makes it work somehow

Hmm..I sense a new Avatar may be imminent

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #56 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »
Girls simply love to play with their hair, fiddle around, make themselves look pretty, try different things...and this is something you can only really do with long hair. It's in our genes!
Gosh.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ravenbait

« Reply #57 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »
Girls simply love to play with their hair, fiddle around, make themselves look pretty, try different things...and this is something you can only really do with long hair. It's in our genes!

Um. Sarcasm?

Sam

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #58 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:36:33 pm »
Must be sarcasm, since Cindy's an unusual name for a bloke.

ravenbait

« Reply #59 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:39:08 pm »

But she might be an animated doll. I used to have her horse, you know. Not the doll herself, just the horse.

Sam

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »

Yeah, and blokes with girls' names tend to be American, where they don't do sarcasm properly.

« Reply #61 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »
I'm not sure that the type of girly girl that loves to spend heaps of time on their hair are very likely to be into cycling.

The main reason my daughter gives why she isn't keen to cycle to school is that she spends 2 hours every morning washing and straightening her hair to within an inch of it's life, and does not then want to mess it up in the wind and rain on her bike. She asked me if it was possible to use an umbrella while cycling  :facepalm:

I often ride to my hair dresser appointments in a nearby village. My hairdresser gives little sad sighs when I stick my helmet on over my new hairdo to ride home  :demon:

« Reply #62 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »

Not being one for preening and products (other than dye, and that's been a while), I'm all about minimal effort.  Thanks to gravity, my hair is by far the least effort when it's long.  It may take ages to dry, but I can sit at the computer and do other things while it's drying.  When it's chin-length I have to take an active role in the drying process in order to persuade the wavyness to curl in sensible directions.  If it's much shorter it looks good for all of 10 minutes after leaving the hairdresser, then develops a mind of its own and sticks out in random directions.

This is my reason. Long hair is much less effort than short. If I go to sleep with it damp, short hair sticks out in random directions but long can be plaited into order. :)
Also I'm too tight to pay a hairdresser very often. The last time was 4 years ago.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:03:18 pm »
Also I'm too tight to pay a hairdresser very often. The last time was 4 years ago.

I was ordered to go to a hairdresser before my brother's wedding in 2005.
My previous visit was in 1975.

I've saved LOADSAMONEY!!!!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »
Ah, hmm.  Er, 1998 for me?

My mother doesn't approve.  But I work on the principle that as long as the number of random compliments I get from Indian women in supermarkets exceeds the negative ones I get from her, I'm winning.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #65 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
I'll say it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: the last time I went to the hairdresser (which was called a barber) it cost me 2/- (shorthand for two shillings to anyone so youthful that they can't remember real money).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:17:53 pm »
Kim, your hair looks great.

IANAn Indian woman.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:18:33 pm »
I'll say it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: the last time I went to the hairdresser (which was called a barber) it cost me 2/- (shorthand for two shillings to anyone so youthful that they can't remember real money).

Crikey, that was an expensive haircut for 1904! ;)
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #68 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
Men don't like nits so much  ???

Observation fail.  You should have noticed that when you were at school the nit inspectors stopped looking at boys hair when they reached pubity

Our inspectors were all older than that anyway.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #69 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »
I'm not a woman, but I do have an aversion to paying for my hair to be cut. Particularly because I don't have a complex hairstyle.

Generally I cut it myself, every 2-3 weeks, but can occasionally persuade Emily to do it for me "*tut* not a-bloody-gain! You're always cutting your hair!"

She has had a variety of lengths and styles, from Number1 all over, to wool + plastic weave, to shaved sides with longish top, to quite naturally long, to shoulder length, to short, to aaaaaaaargh! Why won't my hair grow faster! (the current phase).

Her rule of thumb is: I shall wear my hair as I wish... unlessitwontbloodygrowquickenoughgoddamit!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #70 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:08:06 pm »
The main reason my daughter gives why she isn't keen to cycle to school is that she spends 2 hours every morning washing and straightening her hair to within an inch of it's life, and does not then want to mess it up in the wind and rain on her bike. She asked me if it was possible to use an umbrella while cycling  :facepalm:
The answer is 'Yes, if you're Dutch & ride a sit-up-and-beg bike with a back-pedal brake at little more than walking speed along car-free bike lanes & quiet streets where motorists expect to see slow-moving bikes & give them room'.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #71 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:56:23 pm »
I'm not sure that the type of girly girl that loves to spend heaps of time on their hair are very likely to be into cycling.
Not very likely, perhaps, but La Pendleton is an exception. {can't be bothered to google for the relevant interview!}
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:11:39 pm »
I find even just wearing a hat when cycling is incompatible with putting gloop in my hair.  And the wind effect from cycling tends to mess it up if I have no hat on (not feasible at this time of year) anyway.

border-rider

« Reply #73 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:17:26 pm »
Ah, hmm.  Er, 1998 for me?

That would also be about the last time I paid for a haircut.  Apart from with sexual favours, of course.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #74 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:17:47 pm »
The irony hadn't been lost on me.  ;)