Author Topic: The Royal Baby  (Read 8910 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Royal Baby
« Reply #50 on: 23 July, 2013, 09:10:39 am »
I've got a £10 that Philip and Louis will appear in the name...

I assume that they both have to appear for you to win?
Even so, I bet you didn't get very high odds.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #51 on: 23 July, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
In other news, on hearing that it was a boy, one of the two super-sized cargo ships full of tat has just turned back for China.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

spindrift

« Reply #52 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:02:36 am »
New Zealand's gift was that of a hand woven fine shawl, which took over 280 hours to weave.

Fair play. Then the Australians start taking the piss:

The prime minister of Australia has announced the country's gift to the baby prince, who is the future head of the Australian state. It's a research project examining the desert dwelling Australian marsupial, the Bilby.

A bilby yesterday:

Seriously. That's Australia's present, someone will go and look at some rats.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #53 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:07:50 am »
It would have been more appropriate to study a parasite, but I think, as it stands, that's the best present announced so far.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #54 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
Should yacf do an official present?

Any suggestions?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #55 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:38:31 am »
The yacf bike.   Oh, wait.  The bike is at least useful...

« Reply #56 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:12:52 am »
I am about as interested in the Royal Whelping as I am in listening to someone at an office party taking a full half an hour to describe their "food intolerance" issues to me.

Next time they start that, suggest that it is due to their gut flora, and that a fecal transplant is the latest and greatest treatment for such things.
:thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
In other news, on hearing that it was a boy, one of the two super-sized cargo ships full of tat has just turned back for China.

Actually, previous unwanted Royal china tat has been used for roadbuilding.
Getting there...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #58 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:51:21 am »
Using an idea shamelessly stolen from Mock The Week shouldn't he be called 'sonlyhit.

« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »
It's got a winkle!

Of course it has. The mother has been on a 30C dilution of slugs, snails and puppy dog tails before, during and after conception.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:12:34 pm »
BBC Headline "Royal baby brings world celebrations"

I don't think so, haven't seen street parties in Rio, Washington Beijing or anywhere in the UK come to think of it. Let me fix that for them:

A fair proportion of the world think the royal baby is nice for the parents but world media goes mad.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #61 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »
New Zealand's gift was that of a hand woven fine shawl, which took over 280 hours to weave.

The prime minister of Australia has announced the country's gift to the baby prince, who is the future head of the Australian state. It's a research project examining the desert dwelling Australian marsupial, the Bilby.

A bilby yesterday:

There is a chocolate Easter Bilby in Oz, competing against the imported Easter Bunny. Rabbits are considered feral, destructive pests to be destroyed or stopped. They even built rabbit-proof fences to try and keep rabbits out of fertile areas of Western Australia, to no avail. The chocolate rabbits spread far and wide regardless. The farmers were devastated but their children seemed quite happy.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #62 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:19:20 pm »
BBC Headline "Royal baby brings world celebrations"

I don't think so, haven't seen street parties in Rio, Washington Beijing or anywhere in the UK come to think of it. Let me fix that for them:

A fair proportion of the world think the royal baby is nice for the parents but world media goes mad.

meanwhile in far, far more important and interesting news: Beyonce gets hair caught in fan !

« Reply #63 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:20:46 pm »
Pakistani journalist apparently Naheed Mustafa tweeted: "Today's news: someone you will never meet had a baby you will never know."
I think that about sums it up for me...

LEE

« Reply #64 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:21:20 pm »
Dear BBC,

The whole world isn't celebrating the birth of the royal sprog...because I'm not.

I'm not against the birth of it..just that I couldn't possibly care less.

I expect there are several billion others like me.

Ferchristssake can't we just get the new football season started?

« Reply #65 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:24:02 pm »

Any suggestions?
A bust of James Hewitt, his uncle's dad?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #66 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:25:36 pm »
I'm not against the birth of it..
That's good - given that she was pregnant it would be a bit unreasonable if you were ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #67 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »

A bilby yesterday:

Bilbies are not rats - they're marsupials.

There is a chocolate Easter Bilby in Oz, competing against the imported Easter Bunny. Rabbits are considered feral, destructive pests to be destroyed or stopped. They even built rabbit-proof fences to try a keep rabbits out of fertile areas of Western Australia, to no avail. The chocolate rabbits spread far and wide regardless. The farmers were devastated but their children seemed quite happy.

I love the Easter Bilby idea... it shows that Aussies do have a sense of humour.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #68 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »
I heard a BBC 'reporter' at Buck House saying 'this is a unique moment in history', as she interviewed successive foreign  tourists why were standing about, while they sought a camera angle to make it look like a crowd. 
Why can't any of the media stop for amoment and ask ' what on earth is going on here - why are ther more journos than people here?
I think they have confused the whole thing with the death of 'Saint Diana the the leopard skin bikini'd jetskier and rugger plugger'.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

red marley

« Reply #69 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:27:10 pm »
The Today Programme this morning was reduced to making an uncritical news item out of a compilation of the reporting of the event by itself and other news programmes. News really has eaten itself.

« Reply #70 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »

Any suggestions?

How about a big picture of a narwhal, suitably captioned to reflect the spirit of yacf?
Working my way up to inferior.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #71 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:43:47 pm »
Narwhal mobile FTW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #72 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:48:42 pm »
All I want to know is if we're going to get a day off? Nice quiet roads for cycling when they got hitched.

« Reply #73 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »
All I want to know is if we're going to get a day off? Nice quiet roads for cycling when they got hitched.

Yes for his coronation. You may have to wait t a while though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #74 on: 23 July, 2013, 03:51:38 pm »
Best bit yet - on CNN a reporter asks a member of the crowd for a reaction to the news and lady says ' I hear the boy is black!'.  Stunned silence and then move on quickly.  Ace.
The palace is apparently in turmoil at the arrival of the black prince.
I expect they will shorty be showing the (a) baby off on the balcony to disprove the growing rumour that he is black.  They will of course pull a switch and use a white stooge baby while the real black one has been spirited off to a secret orphans home.  Thats the sort of hypocrits these royals are - there is no shame in Kate getting a bit of extramural activity with the underfootman - its a longstanding tradition in royal circles - but they won't admit it will they?

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird