Author Topic: St Jude's Stormwatch (mainly for shandy-drinking southerners)  (Read 12537 times)

Re: St Jude's Stormwatch (mainly for shandy-drinking southerners)
« Reply #25 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »
How are you getting to Dover? GA have cancelled all trains before 9am. Don't know about Southern/South-Eastern.

Southern are the same - no trains before 9am, though it would depend on how quickly Network Rail can clear the lines of fallen trees and/or debris.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:14:04 am »
Quote from: simonp
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 23:00:19 »
Well it's 11pm in Somerset and it's not windy here but rather wet. Calm before the storm?

Yes indeed. Within an hour, you'll have a southerly wind of 20 gusting 40mph. Between now and 4 am you may have occasional heavy showers with associated localised winds of up to 50mph. By 7 am the wind will have veered to North-westerly, and will occasionally gust to 85mph with a steady 45-50mph lasting until around 9. After that, it'll settle to a 30mph westerly with occasional showers. Enjoy the quiet while you can!

« Reply #27 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:36:58 am »
Are you up in the air driving a plane, watching it all?  ;)
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

TimC

« Reply #28 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:40:22 am »
No, safely on the ground! Watching the various airfield forecasts and actual weather reports, and wondering how much of my 700-year-old house will need even more repairs by tomorrow night!

« Reply #29 on: 28 October, 2013, 02:28:06 am »
Well.

Just woken up.

Nothing.

« Reply #30 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:50:36 am »
All East Coast trains cancelled - I thought it was supposed to be in the South? FCC not even saying their trains might have existed.

:-\
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:53:11 am »
I was awoken by the wind, but it was self-generated.

So far, the biggest gust my weather station has recorded today was 27mph. The software responsible for the web page presentation describes the current conditions as a "gentle breeze". It certainly sounds stronger than that.

To put that 27mph into context, yesterday's highest recorded wind speed was 29mph, the year high was 32mph on 31/1/13 and the all-time high was 38mph on 4/1/12.

My main conclusion from this is that my anemometer it not high enough, but I already knew this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:14:36 am »
Plenty of rain - there was a river running past my front door at 0500 but it's fairly calm now.

My two nearest weather stations are reporting force 2 in Wittering and gusting to force 8 in Bedford. Still considering whether to cycle to the station - when the trains start they will either be packed to bursting or people will have taken the day off.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:18:44 am »
29mph at 5.32.

« Reply #34 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:48:06 am »

29mph at 5.32.

Sprout curry last night?

« Reply #35 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:49:32 am »
Quite unpleasant yesterday afternoon (about 5:30) but quiet overnight up in the ancestral homelands.
I'd have had a lie in, if I'd been at work, thanks to GA, but as it is, I'm on holiday and wide awake.
Looking forward to a run up the valley later to admire devastation, in the unlikely event there is any. Not many trees to blow away, and I'll have missed any low flying sheep.

« Reply #36 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:50:52 am »
I think it rained in the night, a bit.

I daren't look out of the window for fear of an apocalyptic vision of total destruction

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:01:50 am »
Aha! 41mph at 6.23.

TimC

« Reply #38 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:09:18 am »
99 mph at The Needles a few minutes ago. Heathrow is reporting maximum gusts of 45 kts (52mph) in the last 20 minutes.

ETA: looking round the south of the country, forecasts and actual weathers are somewhat less apocalyptic than they were last night. Most stations are reporting steady winds of around 30mph with Max gusts around 40-50mph. Windy, but not too dire. The Needles report seems to be somewhat exceptional.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #39 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:26:22 am »
No trains to London from the Kent coast yet with trees down across the line at Sevenoaks and Orpington. Electricity was intermittent earlier but seems to have stabilised. Wind seems to be dropping; very strong gusts an hour an hour ago. I think today may be a washout.

essexian

« Reply #40 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:29:22 am »
Nothing here in the “desolate” almost North (Stafford) apart from some rain and not even heavy rain at that.

Typical we got ready for a mega storm last night…candles and flask of tea make but it doesn’t seem to have hit us.

Isn’t it typical of “Tory Britain…” everything going to the South East while we outside the Home Counties get nothing........

(Poor attempt at humour off)

Stay safe.

« Reply #41 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:32:19 am »
Wet and windy here in North Yorkshire but nothing exceptional. Was going to set off at 7:00am to drive to Birmingham for a meeting but it was cancelled due to the weather. Hurrah that's 6 hours I don't have to sit in a car for today.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #42 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:43:45 am »
It seems to have missed this part of South Wales.  Commute in was, at worst, squally.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #43 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:45:56 am »
Based on the complete lack of blown down fences and trees here (just North of Portsmouth), I'm pretty sure we had windier weather, or at least stronger gusts last autumn.

I'm not quite sure why this particular minor storm was so hyped. I guess it was due to the "Fish" effect.
Owner of a languishing Langster

TimC

« Reply #44 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:53:57 am »
Gusting 50-60 mph outside right now. Just had the first power cut of the day (we usually suffer several in windy weather).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #45 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:54:21 am »
It's super-windy here, rattling windows, power flickering, dog looking po.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:09:26 am »
We had some garden chairs blow over.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #47 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:10:38 am »
I'm not letting the chickens out of the run today in case they end up in Holland.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #48 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:13:41 am »
Interestingly sickening approach to Amsterdam airport, but the landing was perfect. Could see massive amounts of surf at the coastline. Tailwind to Helsinki later.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #49 on: 28 October, 2013, 08:34:55 am »
One of my plastic watering cans blew over.

Thankfully, the other one survived.