Author Topic: This Weather We're Having  (Read 10280 times)

Re: This Weather We're Having
« Reply #50 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Basil, I believe you have connections with Wales therefore you just get used to be rained on all the time, well at least I have ;~)

:)
Yes.  My threshold of 'it's raining' has certainly been raised several notches.

You know?  I don't think I've ever seen an umbrella in Llandysul.  Wear a decent hat.

Basil does of course, place chocolate phalli rain god offerings at religious sites. He therefore has a distinct advantage over we lesser mortals in terms of weather experiences.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
You know?  I don't think I've ever seen an umbrella in Llandysul.  Wear a decent hat.

Sun hat presumably, as Llandysul translates as 'Land of Sun'.  Or something like that. Doesn't it?

Sorry Basil but my experience this year does not match yours.  This has definitely been the wettest start to a bike commuting year I've experienced in the past 8 years. I don't really have much leeway in timing though.  And with the wind, and showery nature of the rain -  and the time it takes from desk to changing room to bike shed - the dryer starts home have often been when I've logged off looking out at downpours and wettest when it's been sunny. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #52 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »
I've just realised that my comment about umbrellas in Llandysul may be confusing.
I didn't mean you don't see umbrellas because it doesn't rain.  It does rain.  A lot.  All the time.  People there tend to be reasonably pragmatic about it.  Hence the lack of umbrellas and preference for decent practical hats.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #53 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »
You don't see umbrellas here very often. When it rains out on the coast it's usually too windy to comfortably use an umbrella.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
Hankies usually go in the 60oC cotton wash.
I also wash towels, dishcloths and some selected bed linen on this setting.

David complained that the hankies had residual aromas when mixed with other items in a 40oC 'delicates' wash.

« Reply #55 on: 01 February, 2014, 09:06:17 pm »
Hankies usually go in the 60oC cotton wash.
I also wash towels, dishcloths and some selected bed linen on this setting.

David complained that the hankies had residual aromas when mixed with other items in a 40oC 'delicates' wash.
I wash them with the nappies on 60 or 90° washes. With a scoop of napisan or hippy equivalent. Towels and pale sheets as well.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:45:51 pm »
I'm intrigued by the concept of "hippy Napisan". What, pray, is that?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #57 on: 02 February, 2014, 08:49:58 am »
Hippy napisan is killer bleach/steriliser without the killer. You pays your money, you saves the fish.

« Reply #58 on: 02 February, 2014, 09:01:48 am »
This has definitely been the wettest start to a bike commuting year I've experienced in the past 8 years

Past 250 years, in fact (although you'd have to ask somebody who was around, like Ian H, if the records are correct)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 02 February, 2014, 10:00:02 am »
I'm intrigued by the concept of "hippy Napisan". What, pray, is that?
It sanitises the nappy on your hip. HTH
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #60 on: 03 February, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
I expect you'll all be greatly relieved to hear that I got wet this evening.  Very wet. 
Today I brought the Sardar back down to Wales.  This involves a 15 mile ride of extreme lumpiness from Carmarthen Station to home via the quiet route. 
After only 5 miles I was drenched, miserable and not enjoying the hills.  My phone rang.  Mrs B. telling me that I was a stupid old git, she couldn't relax due to worrying about me, and why didn't I stop at the pub in Llanpumpsaint and she'd come and get me?
 :-* :-* :-* :-*
How long do you think I needed to think about that one?

« Reply #61 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:36:04 pm »
Your lass sounds alright for a monkeyhanger, Basil ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:53:49 pm »
Here on the top of the Struod Weather Tower, it is pissing down.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #63 on: 04 February, 2014, 12:16:38 am »
Oh, weather! With this wind you are spoiling us  :facepalm:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #64 on: 04 February, 2014, 08:42:46 am »
Your lass sounds alright for a monkeyhanger, Basil ;)

:thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #65 on: 04 February, 2014, 08:48:16 am »
Has anyone else noticed that This Weather We're Having seems to be running on a constant two day cycle?

« Reply #66 on: 04 February, 2014, 11:02:15 am »
well this is confusing, Mr Brockway insisted we would be having snow, high winds and very very heavy rain today here in the Brecon Beacons. So far apart from a light hail shower and fairly low temperatures earlier on we are now going through a rather bright sunny moment, perhaps it's our spring:)

« Reply #67 on: 04 February, 2014, 11:04:22 am »
No snow at all up here on the Wolds so far this year for the first time I can remember. Tis quite wet underfoot though and the pond they drained 50 years ago in the big field at the bottom of the hill has made a reappearance.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #68 on: 04 February, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
well this is confusing, Mr Brockway insisted we would be having snow, high winds and very very heavy rain today here in the Brecon Beacons. So far apart from a light hail shower and fairly low temperatures earlier on we are now going through a rather bright sunny moment, perhaps it's our spring:)
For those not familiar with the BBC Wales weather forecaster, 'Mr Brockway' is not a quirky dialect usage referring to the habits of a badger to foretell the weather.  Nor is Mr Brockway a groundhog.

If our weather in Swansea is your weather in the Beacons in half-an-hour's time, it will still be bright and sunny in the Beacons in half-an-hour's time.  Having said that, your light hail shower earlier on was a painfully heavy hail shower for me on my commute.

« Reply #69 on: 05 February, 2014, 11:06:52 am »
I wish we did have your weather Nuncio, it would make a pleasant change.  Unfortunately a couple of miles here can make a difference Sennybridge mild & dry, Trecastle cold, wet & windy :facepalm:
At present the fields are saturated and all the rain now is just running straight off into the roads and rivers, heading for Swansea and Hereford, I suppose being so high up does have advantages sometimes.

« Reply #70 on: 08 February, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »
I managed a single ride out this week, next week may be the same if I'm lucky.

I set the alarm very early this morning to go out and it was blowing a gale and absolutely chucking it down, same tonight. I'm not setting it for tomorrow, I'd rather spend the time asleep.

This wind and rain is relentless, everywhere is flooded where I'm going and the roads that aren't flooded are covered in shite and tree branches.

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like! I think I've got cabin fever and I'm pissed off!

I feel really sorry for those in Somerset and Devon, riding a bike isn't exactly high on their list of priorities.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 08 February, 2014, 08:12:16 pm »
I had planned to go out either today or tomorrow. Today's a non-starter. The weather's crap and I always find it hard to summon the energy after a couple of days looking after the grandchildren and staying overnight at our daughter's place. I still haven't recovered from my ailments (cold, sore throat, snotty nose, conjunctivitis) so tomorrow's a non-starter as well.

Let's look forward to next weekend and half term!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 08 February, 2014, 08:18:42 pm »
I was hoping to get out tomorrow but not looking good atm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #73 on: 08 February, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
I've been quite lucky this week.  I've managed to spot an early window for a short ride and a long walk every day this week.  Except Friday, which was forecast to be lovely so Mrs. B had booked the day off, so riding was not allowed.
Today (Saturday) is just scarey.  Everywhere is underwater and driving anywhere would not be a clever idea.
So we drove to Lampeter for the shopping.   :facepalm:  Tried to pick a route that didn't get too low.  Too late we found that parts of the Tivy valley are water as far as you can see.  I realised we'd made a mistake, but the main road seemed ok, so I carried on. 
Three quarters of the Co-op car park was under water but I managed to park - fuddishly I'm afraid -mitigating circumstances. 
There is a river flowing alongside the car park.  We marvelled at how it had almost topped its bank.  So of course, guess what happened while we were in the shop?   :o
So paddle to the car and then a scarey journey home.  It took a while, and involved many 'whoops, not this way' detours.
Tomorrow, the farthest I'm going is to the wood shed.

« Reply #74 on: 08 February, 2014, 09:51:33 pm »
I pottered out this afternoon down to Windsor . I found that ncn61 was flooded at the A355 underpass and ncn461 was flooded behind Eton collage and along the lane into the back of Eton also the Thames cycle path opposite  the leisure centre . On the way back I took the roads through Eton and found the road to Datchet was closed due to flooding .back to slough and home after a gentle 10 miles . it stayed dry apart from a few drops of rain while I was out but it pretty windy  :)
the slower you go the more you see