Author Topic: 5p bags  (Read 13575 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: 5p bags
« Reply #25 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:03:19 pm »
Obvious solution:  For a small deposit they could let you keep the delivery trays until next time.

I think Waitrose are lending crates out. Sainsbury's are not AIUI.

Ben T

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:05:44 pm »
About time too  :thumbsup:

just a thought; the big piles of currently free bags next to the self service checkouts in Tesco etc, how are they supposed to know if you've taken one (or even 10)?

better idea would be that if you don't press the "I bought my own bag" button (which in my case corresponds to "I don't want one but I'll have the 1 green point for not using one thanks") it adds 5p to the bill  ;)

I often press "yes I brought my own bag", my rucksack with my gym kit in, thanks.... I'm also taking one of yours, to put my shopping in. That wasn't what you asked...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:33:49 pm »
Obvious solution:  For a small deposit they could let you keep the delivery trays until next time.

Not sure that would work - the Ocado tote bins are SO useful to store stuff in the garage/loft  :demon:

Rob

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:43:01 pm »
The Ocado man came today - they've obviously been trained/primed on how it'll work from the 5p charge starting ... seems like they'll say you have x bags with this delivery - and I've taken y bags from you for recycling = where x is arranged to match y - with a net effect of not supplying any bags, or charging.   It may look like a fiddle but it does makes sense.   As the chap was OK with it I actually unloaded the stuff from bags in the hall (I'll have some boxes ready next time) and gave him back the empty bags plus the ones from last time.

All this about bags is interesting BUT should have been applied to all shops not just those with >250 employees - that's just stupid.  The other interesting question is how is Poundland going to deal with the 5p charge???

AND what about the other major blights on our landscape ... plastic bottles and drink cans?    Perhaps we'll have what is seen in New York and other places - tramps with a supermarket cart collecting empties for which they receive a few cents at the recyling centre (part funded I understand by the local authority as an investment in litter reduction)

Rob

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »
The Ocado man came today - they've obviously been trained/primed on how it'll work from the 5p charge starting ... seems like they'll say you have x bags with this delivery - and I've taken y bags from you for recycling = where x is arranged to match y - with a net effect of not supplying any bags, or charging.   It may look like a fiddle but it does makes sense.

Good.  I wonder if Sainsbury's will do the same?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »
Got an email in the last few weeks from asda explaining their process for when  charging for bags comes in they are charging a flat 50p (I think) or they can leave the crates & collect later.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
AND what about the other major blights on our landscape ... plastic bottles and drink cans?    Perhaps we'll have what is seen in New York and other places - tramps with a supermarket cart collecting empties for which they receive a few cents at the recyling centre (part funded I understand by the local authority as an investment in litter reduction)

Germany does something similar, too. The €1.15 you pay, say, for a 500ml bottle of Coke includes a 15c deposit. Then you take them to the supermarket, scan the barcodes on the bottles as you put them in the recycling bin, and the machine gives you a receipt to get the deposits back as a discount on your shopping.

(As I'm only there for a day or two and don't go anywhere near a supermarket, I leave mine on a colleague's desk who takes them with hers.)

I'd like to see something similar here.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:59:30 pm »
This is something we were really struck by in France this year. Little or any litter in the verges and hedgerows. Or anywhere much, really. They just don't seem to do it. Must be a Brit Thing.

It's pretty awful in the UK, outside of the developing world, litter here is probably the worst I've seen. I don't know if other places clean it up or we just uniquely don't give a shit. It's all pretty much the same types of rubbish: chocolate wrappers, crisp bags, bottles and cans, junk food packaging, and the carriers bags it probably came in.

Edit, I'm tempted to write to the school tbh and tell them to sponsor a weekly clean up. Probably against the kids' human rights or something.

« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2015, 10:06:53 pm »
Kids have always been like that.  Back in the 80s I took some youth club kids cycling.  We stopped in a bus shelter for food and they simply dropped what ever packaging.  I shouted 'Oi!', and they looked completely baffled.

« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2015, 10:17:28 pm »
This is what I do.
No deposit.
Just 'Leave me  a crate mate and we'll swap next time you deliver. Saves your time and mine'
So far it has worked faultlessly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:14:02 pm »
The Ocado man came today - they've obviously been trained/primed on how it'll work from the 5p charge starting ... seems like they'll say you have x bags with this delivery - and I've taken y bags from you for recycling = where x is arranged to match y - with a net effect of not supplying any bags, or charging.   It may look like a fiddle but it does makes sense.

Good.  I wonder if Sainsbury's will do the same?

Doesn't look like it.

Things might change if they perceive losing customers over this.

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:33:05 pm »
they'll still be disposable at 5p, people aren't more thoughtful of the environment because they can afford 5p bags

I agree, all bags should be like the old strong paper variety.

sadly the paper bags although more recyclable cost more in eco terms than the plastic if you only use them once

or something...

« Reply #37 on: 01 October, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »
they'll still be disposable at 5p, people aren't more thoughtful of the environment because they can afford 5p bags

sadly the paper bags although more recyclable cost more in eco terms than the plastic if you only use them once

or something...

Does that take account of the indestructibility of plastic and the consequent long-term effects?

« Reply #38 on: 02 October, 2015, 10:04:11 am »
I often press "yes I brought my own bag", my rucksack with my gym kit in, thanks.... I'm also taking one of yours, to put my shopping in. That wasn't what you asked...

The purpose of that question is usually to allow you to add something to the 'bagging area' without the machine freaking out.  In Wales, the machine asks again at the end, with the more specific question, 'How many bags have you used?' 

It does reduce bag usage.  Instead of the cashier throwing 15 bags at everyone, they have to specifically ask how many you want.  It focuses the mind to make people more mindful of what they are doing.  It doesn't solve the problem, but it reduces it.  That makes it worth doing.  I'm slightly baffled at the implication that it isn't worth doing because it won't solve the issue entirely.  ???

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #39 on: 02 October, 2015, 10:17:47 am »

I asked Tesco about this on numerous occasions and they were unwilling to leave trays with me, so I kept getting the bags. For me they were always saved and re-used as rubbish bags when camping.

Now I've started shopping at Lidl I suspect I'm going to have to buy bin bags as I don't have any spare to use for rubbish.

I'm still not totally convinced that this isn't some plan just to get the supermarkets off the hook, I remember it being a big deal in the early 80's persuading shops to provide free bags. It seems such a small thing to focus on when most people really are re-using these bags anyway and most if not all are bio-degradable.

I wish there was a simple way of disposing of rubbish without needing bags.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 02 October, 2015, 10:21:00 am »
I wish there was a simple way of disposing of rubbish without needing bags.

There is; however it's neither environmentally-sound nor legal :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:23:43 am »

Germany does something similar, too. The €1.15 you pay, say, for a 500ml bottle of Coke includes a 15c deposit. Then you take them to the supermarket, scan the barcodes on the bottles as you put them in the recycling bin, and the machine gives you a receipt to get the deposits back as a discount on your shopping.

(As I'm only there for a day or two and don't go anywhere near a supermarket, I leave mine on a colleague's desk who takes them with hers.)

I'd like to see something similar here.
Several years ago, I read of a Polish bloke who toured to the northernmost point of Norway. Because he was a) unemployed b) from one of Europe's cheaper, lower-income countries c) in one of the most expensive countries, he was pretty skint. So he financed himself by collecting soft drink cans which you can then feed into machines for 1 kronor per tin. Apparently he was able to get by quite well like this. So clearly if you're as rich as a Norwegian, deposits on cans don't stop you chucking them out the car window.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:31:11 am »
Back to plastic bags: apparently South Africa (or maybe it was just one of its provinces) banned disposable bags completely. You can still get the tougher, reusable ones – I don't know if you have to pay for them – but because people hang on to them and because they're tougher, they don't become windblown litter.

This summer we were in Austria, Czech Rep and Poland, and in all those countries we were not offered free carrier bags. There were only tough, reusable ones for a small charge. Still got a few... too many to sensibly use, really. Clearly not an ideal solution but a step.

As for litter generally, I really don't think it's a Brit phenonomenon. Lots of litter in Polish towns. But one thing that had cleared up recently over there is fly tipping; the edge of the forest used to be a rubbish dump of discarded furniture, old TVs and car parts. What's improved that is the introduction of a regular rubbish collection (even though it's only once a month and is an opt-in service charged separately from other local taxes) and better access to the tip.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:38:21 am »
Big rise in fly tipping around Birmingham this year, as a direct result of the council charging for green waste collections.  This has caused enormous queueueueueueueus for the council waste sites, to the point where they've had to deploy barriers to contain the resulting traffic jams.

As a result, it's not just green waste that's being fly-tipped.  Indeed, much of the green waste is being burnt, with varying degrees of competence.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:40:41 am »
In Polish villages, it's traditional to burn all waste. But only in the winter.

Also, Kim: What's "lqt as they say in sheds" in your post upthread?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:47:42 am »

Low Quality Tat.  As distinct from Top Quality Tat, which is the main constituent of shedspace on account that it might come in useful for molishing.

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:47:54 am »

or something...

Does that take account of the indestructibility of plastic and the consequent long-term effects?

very true; I saw a poster once saying that a plastic bag would last as long as the fossils of the dinosaurs, and would people go to look at plastic bags in museums in 65 million years?

the deposit on cans and bottles is a very good idea, saw it all the time in Sweden, but wasn't much use for cycle touring IIRC as you had to post the empty bottle back at the shop you bought it to get a deposit for that store only (not sure if was that store or that chain)

back in the days of Corona bottles I would spend my summer holidays scouring the housing estate that was under construction, usually netted about 25p a day at 5p a bottle;

I think I bought my first ever LP Aladdin Sane this way

If you were lucky enough to find a Whites soda syphon you were in big money; 75p IIRC

Strange how different our attitudes are to the Victorians, I used to scour local river banks for old bottle tips, Codd bottles were the real must-have at the time, but were always smashed so kids could pinch the little glass balls for marbles

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:49:29 am »

Low Quality Tat.  As distinct from Top Quality Tat, which is the main constituent of shedspace on account that it might come in useful for molishing.
Ah... I was thinking along the lines of lpg and wondering if the q was some petrochemical or just "-quified"!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:49:42 am »
A pound for twenty Tesco bin liners is still a bargain.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #49 on: 02 October, 2015, 11:56:41 am »
I like to be subversive with my reusable bags- I take the Lidl ones to Waitrose and the Waitrose ones to Lidl...