Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526195 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1375 on: 16 June, 2016, 10:43:46 am »
Spotted in the window of Bakers of Danbury when on the A Little Essex R&R 100k test ride and photo opportunity taken last night on the MEMWNS ride to the Swan beer festival

I wonder how long it may stay there so it could be used as an info control  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1376 on: 16 June, 2016, 07:04:57 pm »
Still in Harwich. I think most of the HGV's in East Anglia are being loaded on this ship!

They do that as ballast when they already have something heavy on board  ;D
But Fred and OD were not on board!

Anyway...observations from day 1 riding through the Netherlands
1. They really do have it right. The only time I shared the same roads as cars was for short section of very quiet roads.
2. People give way to you evenue if they don't have to
3. The e-bike is taking over
4. Not every village has a pub and I have yet to see an Amstel sign
5. Folk are chilled, friendly and for some reason seem to know I speak English.

:thumbsup:

10ish KM to the Belgian border in the morning.

« Reply #1377 on: 16 June, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
It is always a seminal moment in a relationship when one party takes the other for granted.  The crunch point is usually a forgotten date.  This was the first anniversary of jiberjaber's first ride with ACME. I don't actually know if he forgot, but it's clear he doesn't care.

Meanwhile the rest of us had a great time at the Swan beer festival.

I meandered over that way to  find ride leader, the Hustler, trying  to organise Huggy, Oaky, Hotblack and special guest Zenia Warrior Princess.

It was obvious that the safe bike parking / easy beer ordering location was the back garden but the Hustler was so transfixed by the Morris Dancing that he had apparently lost his mind.

Eventually we made it to a nirvana of picnic tables,  marquees and a private bar.

We sampled a variety of beers and the unruly types (Zenia, Oaky and Hotblack ), went big with some ciders as well. Wibblers' Copperhouse took the Quaffer's Choice.

You would think that Morris Dancers would be fairly difficult to impress, but when Hotblack started his lightshow it was like humans seeing fire for the first time. 

All too soon, it was time to head off into the balmy night to beat the streetlight curfew but, despite the  lack of legends, it was another splendid night.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1378 on: 17 June, 2016, 05:57:13 am »
Your reports always make me giggle. I think MEMWNS and ACME need a book and you can write it, after all you're the one with the most time on his hands.

« Reply #1379 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:13:25 am »
The only Midsummer Madness on show last night was in our decision to head out into the stormy gloom.  With heavy, humid air and portentous skies, it looked more like the opening scene of a horror movie than an evening out just after the summer solstice.  All that was missing was the creepy house and the odd looking butler (OD was off with Tomsk, Bobb and Huggy tucking into black pudding and curry sauce or whatever they eat up north).

After some shoe maintenance issues ( :facepalm:), I managed to intercept the Oaky breakaway chain gang.  Once I had managed to cling onto the back of their tight group, it became apparent that this was, in fact, the ACME peloton itself. 

Oaky was putting a select group of Sir Robin of Locksley and Zenia Warrior Princess through their paces. He had routed us via loop 23(a)(ii) from OD's Bumper Book of Weird Ways to the Pub.  This meant diverting from the obvious route for a random ride through Goldhanger and then up a newly loose dressed lane (Oaky is on trend with his current love of gravel) back to about 100 yards from my interception point.

Gravel passed, Oaky zoomed off at a moderate pace to the Tap Room with the rest of us trailing in his wake. I am sorry to report that one of our number declined the opportunity to ride up Market Hill and bailed out to a side street option.  My only excuse for doing this was that I knew I wasn't going to get up there with the gear I was using  :facepalm:

Soon after we had re-assembled at the Tap Room, Jiber Jeste of the Foreign Legion hove into view.  He also seems to be suffering from a bit of the ODs and had plotted an "interesting" route to Maldon from Chelmsford.  We sampled Paradise Found, Kings, Captain Bob and Oscar Wilde before heading down to the Hythe and the delights of the Queen's Head.  Jiber was on a strict curfew but something in the ever present threat of rain and the smell of mud seemed to remind him of home so he soon abandoned himself to the night's revelries.

The usual random conversation followed while we sampled Woodforde Wherry, Puck's Folly and, the Quaffer's Choice - Dark Star's Hop Head, (quote Jiber "it's quite hoppy" - well who would have thought).

Despite the darkening skies and occasional flash of lightning, it was a warm and pleasant place to while away some time.  We probably all knew that we were using up the dry part of the night, but we were all happy to sit there watching the orange glow of the horizon disappear into black clouds. 

As it happened, it only really started hammering it down when I was 10 minutes from home.  I don't think Jiber was as fortunate though.  Not long after I got safely indoors, all hell broke loose with rolling thunder, lightning and torrents of rain. Nevertheless, another top evening of ACME fun.

Perhaps, when summer arrives, we can plan our annual yacht club trip.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1380 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:58:47 am »
If things continue as per this morning, we may be able to do a yacht trip up North Hill before the summer is out.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1381 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
Lol.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1382 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:01:46 pm »
Driving in this morning, it was hard to believe that I had cycled along the same roads a few hours before.  Basically, it was like driving through a shallow river with some deep patches.  The roads are also covered in debris which will make cycling interesting for a few days to come.

This being the thread where forward planning is tolerated and even encouraged, I am going to propose the 6th of July as the YC trip.  I won't be out next week so feel free to head as far west as you can  :thumbsup:

I will come up with a route from Spa to the YC (which may look remarkably similar to last year's route).

Edit: in other news, my new time-trialling sandals have just arrived  :o

« Reply #1383 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:34:12 pm »
Edit: in other news, my new time-trialling sandals have just arrived  :o
And when do the Socks arrive?

Agreed on the road bits. Braxted road had loads of crap over it and it was also a bit washed out in a couple of places. My early start for Saturday's 200 DIY is currently looking likely, the rain only forecast for later in the afternoon by which time I fully intend to be back in the house!

Sorry I missed last night....work is killing me this week.....

« Reply #1384 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »
And when do the Socks arrive?

Funny you should mention that...

My time-trialling coach and I have been working hard on putting together exactly the right ensemble to ensure maximum aerodynamic efficiency.  The subject of socks came up last night.  Coach Oaky has suggested Team Wiggins socks.  He believes that if they say Wiggins on them then they must be ideal for time trialling and will compliment the sandals beautifully.  We are now working on sourcing a retro helmet in the style of Chris Boardman circa 1996.  I remain unconvinced that the musty pelt of destiny is an appropriate skinsuit but coach knows best.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1385 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »
Skinsuit, aero helmet and aero overshoes all a must if you're going to do it properly.......! Sandals optional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1386 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:32:03 pm »
Oaky was appointed as coach after a rigorous selection process.  Unsuccessful applicants should refrain from trying to give unsolicited advice.

Coach Oaky is very strict about such matters.

« Reply #1387 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:33:49 pm »
Oaky just wants the helmet to put the pasties in it!

« Reply #1388 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »
He told me they were aerodynamic ballast.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1389 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:45:10 pm »
I think we need to subject rainlegs to a wind tunnel analysis.  Might work like trip strips and aid your vortex shedding.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1390 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:53:49 pm »
I am sure I read somewhere that it doesn't work with faux denim though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1391 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:40:53 pm »
F Y I... Windmill Ride is EOL if peeps still fancy it...  :thumbsup:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-272/
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1392 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:54:52 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't make the Windmill ride this Sunday. I remember being tortured byTomsk and tippers last year.

Are you riding jiber?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1393 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:24:26 am »
Yup, though that depends if I stop drinking and go to bed before Sunday.....
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1394 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:28:51 pm »
Don't worry jiber, the rain will soon freshen you up.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1395 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:34:41 pm »
Are you in an ACME peloton of one or are there others  joining you?

« Reply #1396 on: 25 June, 2016, 04:03:56 pm »
I got my 200 for June in Today on my now favored DIY route. First one on Fixed, it was OK but reasonably glad I didn't get my hands on the new cogs which were delivered to work.

The Windmill Ride is a cracker, lots of hills for an Essex Ride. It's Tomsks 'Smash it' ride although I believe he is giving love at one of the controls this year  ;D

« Reply #1397 on: 25 June, 2016, 06:09:36 pm »
I think we need to subject rainlegs to a wind tunnel analysis.  Might work like trip strips and aid your vortex shedding.
Need to see if the faux denim ones make a difference as well.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1398 on: 25 June, 2016, 06:19:30 pm »
I can report that faux denim Rainlegs don't frighten sheeps.

« Reply #1399 on: 25 June, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »
I can report that faux denim Rainlegs don't frighten sheeps.
No doubt they stopped lanolin getting on your thighs.  :P