Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526292 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1825 on: 12 November, 2016, 02:17:47 pm »
Well done huggy, it seems we are taking over AUK!

« Reply #1826 on: 12 November, 2016, 06:07:14 pm »
Sunday should work for me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1827 on: 12 November, 2016, 08:07:43 pm »
:thumbsup:
I have a pass for Sunday. Flexible on start time for a steady ride round.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1828 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:58:08 am »
:thumbsup:
I have a pass for Sunday. Flexible on start time for a steady ride round.
I'm about 80% likely to make this. If not I might be making my way around the route on Saturday.

« Reply #1829 on: 14 November, 2016, 10:21:30 am »
I need to do some bike fettling before then.

The fixed has just had a new BB fitted and I need to put the cranks back on and install my fancy new mudguards.

The Fratello is at Evanson where Richard is trying to bend the derailleur hanger back straight.  Apparently it is a bit of a known design fault with the Fratello.  It did occur to me that it was a bit of an issue when I was building it and with my history with derailleurs .... :facepalm:

Subject to all that, Sunday should be a go.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #1830 on: 14 November, 2016, 10:03:43 pm »
I need to do some bike fettling before then.

The fixed has just had a new BB fitted and I need to put the cranks back on and install my fancy new mudguards.

The Fratello is at Evanson where Richard is trying to bend the derailleur hanger back straight.  Apparently it is a bit of a known design fault with the Fratello.  It did occur to me that it was a bit of an issue when I was building it and with my history with derailleurs .... :facepalm:

Subject to all that, Sunday should be a go.

I do have a rear mech alignment checking/adjusting tool.

I will try to make it this Sunday, just have to see if I end up in Norfolk instead. The tourer now has mudflaps and inline brake cable adjusters for the wet group rides - the later being to keep the brakes working after a descent from Danbury. If the mudflap design works I'll implement it on the winter fixed as well, assuming the knackered old mudguards will take the extra loading.

« Reply #1831 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:32:41 am »

It was the bending the steel back that I was having trouble with - the Fratello does not have a detachable hanger, which is the design fault in my opinion.

Richard is currently building a fixed frame with disc brakes.  I am hoping for a sneak preview when I collect the Fratello.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1832 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:48:52 am »

It was the bending the steel back that I was having trouble with - the Fratello does not have a detachable hanger, which is the design fault in my opinion.

Richard is currently building a fixed frame with disc brakes.  I am hoping for a sneak preview when I collect the Fratello.

I thought detachable hangers were mainly an alloy/carbon thing,  to sacrificially bend to avoid knackering a frame.  Steel can just be bent back, and in the worst case a new hanger welded on,  so conventional wisdom seems to be that it's better to have the dropout at full thickness rather than thinned down to accomodate a removable hanger.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1833 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:42:38 am »
Richard certainly builds with detachable hangers.

He has repaired a Fratello where the hanger had snapped off and apparently it was a bit of a job to weld something on with the correct fit etc.

The answer is probably for me to be a bit more careful next time I swap the chain and cassette over  :facepalm:

Test ride of the new BB on the fixed this evening.  I was going to ride into work this morning but had visions of walking along the road with a crank in one hand.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1834 on: 15 November, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »
I was going to ride into work this morning but had visions of walking along the road with a crank in one hand.

But why would you be walking to work with OD?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1835 on: 15 November, 2016, 04:14:32 pm »
Because he's "special".

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1836 on: 15 November, 2016, 04:16:14 pm »

« Reply #1837 on: 15 November, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »
To bring this thread back to normality (well, perhaps OD baiting is not so out of the ordinary), I need a 200km this weekend to keep my double RRTY going. I'm thinking of joining the Sunday ride for some interesting company, effectively doing the same route as I will ECE in 2 weeks, but as a mandatory route. Does anybody want to nominate a starting time ... I don't mind an early start?

Unfortunately I have a parent's consultation tomorrow, otherwise I would have enjoyed a convenient 'near to home' destination for the Wednesday ride.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

BFC

« Reply #1838 on: 15 November, 2016, 07:00:04 pm »
A bit of unscheduled bike fettling today....
I finished my ride to work today with the saddle in the panniers, only 3 miles without anywhere to sit. The bolt through the saddle clamp sheared - a replacement made for the ride home.

« Reply #1839 on: 16 November, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
To bring this thread back to normality (well, perhaps OD baiting is not so out of the ordinary), I need a 200km this weekend to keep my double RRTY going. I'm thinking of joining the Sunday ride for some interesting company, effectively doing the same route as I will ECE in 2 weeks, but as a mandatory route. Does anybody want to nominate a starting time ... I don't mind an early start?

Unfortunately I have a parent's consultation tomorrow, otherwise I would have enjoyed a convenient 'near to home' destination for the Wednesday ride.
I am keen to get out reasonably early. I am thinking 8am Spoons breakfast and off by about 8:30

« Reply #1840 on: 16 November, 2016, 10:42:32 am »
That is early.  That's me leaving just before 7.

« Reply #1841 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:10:05 am »
Yeah, I have to be home later in the afternoon so I need to get out early so no worries if others are starting at a more civilized time.

« Reply #1842 on: 16 November, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »
I could be there by 8am. Probably a 5:30am start, but that's fine.

« Reply #1843 on: 16 November, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »
Is this turning into an A team and B team ride ?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1844 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:09:04 pm »
Is this turning into an A team and B team ride ?
I was thinking more like a 9am start, if not 10, and a non-thrashing ride round.  So it does sound like an A & B team plan.
Don't forget that I may be occasionally stopping to take notes for Tomsk's route sheet too.

« Reply #1845 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:16:10 pm »
I will almost certainly be on fixed which will be another slowing factor for the B team.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1846 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »
I've not ridden for 4 weeks, so if everybody else is leaving at something like 9am, I could do that also (or rather instead of 8am, not as well as!)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1847 on: 16 November, 2016, 09:41:28 pm »
Some of the Helpers' committee has met this evening over a pint and suggested a 9am readiness at the 'spoons in Witham and take it from there. I'm anticipating roughly a 6.5 hour ride in total for the 100k.

BFC

« Reply #1848 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:10:04 pm »
I am planning to be at the 'Spoons for 9AM start on Sunday. Don't wait if I'm not there, waking up in the morning after two weeks of late shift doesn't always go to plan.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1849 on: 17 November, 2016, 07:37:01 am »
MEMWNS yesterday evening ...

Very pleasant!  And yet another FORWARD PLANNING success (6:2 thank you very much  ;D  )  huggy and I set off from the Spa Road roundabout meeting Tomsk en route.  Dakota is proving herself to be well fast which tempted me to race Tomsk to the pub along the last stretch from Bran End, I let him win.

Once we got to the A&H we found jibers just finishing his tea.  A gentle ebb and flow of conversation, some nice beer in a nice pub topped off by a nice ride home.