Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526241 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2275 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:51:20 pm »
I rode the Shark last year. Despite the first 4 hours being rather wet, it was an enjoyable ride. Quite a few suffered loss of air pressure in their tyres in the flint-strewn wet lanes, so I would recommend not going for lightweight tyres. From memory the profile mixes flatter sections between the more undulating stuff.

I would recommend the ride.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2276 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »
Your going to Tourdax on AAA (and proper AAA) routes, you are insane, in the best possible way obviously  ;D

Last year's UP NORTH! tour would probably attracted some AAA points had it of been an audax route.  28kg of kit on a 18kg bike was something of a challenge but you you just got off and walked.  Mind you, it was surprising what you could ride up with Fred's very low gearing.

« Reply #2277 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:05:14 pm »
Thanks Psyclist...you've calmed me down, oh hang on....you love a hill! I will learn to!

OD, I think it's the gearing that bothers me a little bit. Compact double and 32t should actually be enough.....you deal with what you have I guess!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2278 on: 14 March, 2017, 06:13:21 pm »
You'll be fine Nik, but you could go the whole hog and put a 11-34 on the back unless you're 11spd.

I'll be up for sharing a lift i think. Not sure which bike to take yet, tempted to take the rose off the turbo but suspect I'll be ok with the CdF.
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2279 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:02:05 pm »
We live a very short distance from the start of the Shark, so any ACMEs interested in accommodation or parking can PM me (one parking place only!) I think we will be around.... I suppose we could even ride it!

« Reply #2280 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:15:32 pm »
Thanks Psyclist...you've calmed me down, oh hang on....you love a hill! I will learn to!

I guess I do enjoy heading to hilly terrain when I can, but I don't ride the hills enough to be any good at them. I tend to click down to one of the lowest gears very quickly when on a hill, and keep to my own pace. I'll never achieve a quick time that way, but it does help over the longer distances.

Up until this year my lowest gear was 34x27, but I've now got a 34x32 on the new 'orange' bike (11 spd). Certainly helps on the steeper sections.

« Reply #2281 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:33:05 pm »
Yep, I am on 32t on 11 speed. If I can't get up on that I will accept a walk. Hopefully riding fixed all winter has helped my strength a bit, only one way to find out.
I've shelled out a whole £8 to park for the whole day and not  sure if I can cancel it, if you have no other takers I might check the T&C on the site I used. I may need a lie down at the end though  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2282 on: 14 March, 2017, 10:40:27 pm »
Yep, I am on 32t on 11 speed. If I can't get up on that I will accept a walk. Hopefully riding fixed all winter has helped my strength a bit, only one way to find out.
I've shelled out a whole £8 to park for the whole day and not  sure if I can cancel it, if you have no other takers I might check the T&C on the site I used. I may need a lie down at the end though  ;D

I did Rosedale and a lot of 18% hills on the way there on a 100km on 11x32 so you'll be grand I recon...

In other news, I've been through every Shimano BB for the fixed and finally got the right chain line with the cog fitted the right way, 127mm BB length!... bad news is I've upped teh gearing because I was feeling brave...  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2283 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:56:52 am »
 :thumbsup: what have you changed up to? Feels good when it all starts coming together right?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2284 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:28:27 am »
I haven't gone too mad, from 66 to 69 inches, so swapped out the 19t for 18t on the back and removed a link on the chain so it's probably only another 1.5kph change but will be interesting to see how it feels relative to the terrain... Out on it tonight on similar route to Mondays ride but without the hills at the beginning
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2285 on: 15 March, 2017, 12:03:39 pm »
You'll be fine. I reckon you will feel little if any difference on the ups/flat but you will appreciate the bigger gear going down.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2286 on: 15 March, 2017, 01:10:13 pm »
You'll be fine. I reckon you will feel little if any difference on the ups/flat but you will appreciate the bigger gear going down.

Yeah I was thinking hoping the same
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2287 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:37:46 am »
Yesterday evening was very pleasant, it got chilly as the night wore on but it was dry with a full moon.  In attendance was myself, huggy, jibers, tippers, Jan, psyclist and AndyC33333333333333333333333333333333333333.  The Rose & Crown was very nice as was the beer.

The talk was of adventures awheel to come both at home and on foreign shores.  psyclist tried to engage tippers in a game of "Assess With 100% Accuracy The Size of Woolly Jersey I'll Need Just By Looking at Me!" but tippers wasn't biting.  It seems as soon as you mention sheep or wool tippers gets distracted with a faraway look in his eye - strange.

I had a glimpse into the murky world of single speeding / fixed gear nonsense when Fred's rear gear cable snapped.  I didn't like what I saw.

ted didn't show, up.  After abusing him by text message it transpired he simply went home after his "off-site".

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2288 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:24:36 am »
Yesterday evening was very pleasant, it got chilly as the night wore on but it was dry with a full moon.  In attendance was myself, huggy, jibers, tippers, Jan, psyclist and AndyC33333333333333333333333333333333333333.  The Rose & Crown was very nice as was the beer.

The talk was of adventures awheel to come both at home and on foreign shores.  psyclist tried to engage tippers in a game of "Assess With 100% Accuracy The Size of Woolly Jersey I'll Need Just By Looking at Me!" but tippers wasn't biting.  It seems as soon as you mention sheep or wool tippers gets distracted with a faraway look in his eye - strange.

I had a glimpse into the murky world of single speeding / fixed gear nonsense when Fred's rear gear cable snapped.  I didn't like what I saw.

ted didn't show, up.  After abusing him by text message it transpired he simply went home after his "off-site".

That reminds me, Steve missed out the discussion about the wonderful routing software that avoids ferries...  :thumbsup:  ;D

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2289 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:30:58 am »
I used that exact ferry on my travels last summer. It was excellent and a very short trip. A massive group of school kids (and their teachers) all got on as well, on their bikes. Brilliant.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2290 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:37:43 am »
My experience of Ferries in NL is that they were quite frequent and quite good.  It's an option if we go anticlockwise from the start but I have been unable to find anything other than a little google graph which shows it operating between  06:00 and 18:00 so we'd need to confirm hours of operation to be sure - its a long ride round to detour if its not sailing :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2291 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:44:01 am »

Point of order, Ted did not simply go home after his off site.  Ted rode most of the way to the pub.  Sadly at the point where his homeward route and outward route crossed, Ted took the easy option and went home. 

I have no excuse other than that it was colder than I expected and I was quite enjoying the ride at the time so decided I didn't fancy stopping indoors in the warm and then riding home on my jack jones again.  Very poor I know.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #2292 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:48:52 am »

Point of order, Ted did not simply go home after his off site.  Ted rode most of the way to the pub.  Sadly at the point where his homeward route and outward route crossed, Ted took the easy option and went home. 

I have no excuse other than that it was colder than I expected and I was quite enjoying the ride at the time so decided I didn't fancy stopping indoors in the warm and then riding home on my jack jones again.  Very poor I know.

^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2293 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:36:39 am »
My experience of Ferries in NL is that they were quite frequent and quite good.  It's an option if we go anticlockwise from the start but I have been unable to find anything other than a little google graph which shows it operating between  06:00 and 18:00 so we'd need to confirm hours of operation to be sure - its a long ride round to detour if its not sailing :)
http://water.connexxion.nl/diensten/602/veerdienst-maassluis/245

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2294 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:00:49 am »
OK, so my circular route suggestion includes at least one ferry, that's cos I used jibers track - I remember now.  The bits of my circular route which I freestyled are all roads as my Garmin software doesn't do boats.  We need a separate thread.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2295 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:09:47 am »
OK, so my circular route suggestion includes at least one ferry, that's cos I used jibers track - I remember now.  The bits of my circular route which I freestyled are all roads as my Garmin software doesn't do boats. We need a separate thread.

Ooops, WE HAVE A THREAD!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2296 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:38:25 am »
OK, so my circular route suggestion includes at least one ferry, that's cos I used jibers track - I remember now.  The bits of my circular route which I freestyled are all roads as my Garmin software doesn't do boats.  We need a separate thread.

You're not wriggling out of it that easy, I think you might find none of the tracks I have ridden use that ferry AFAIK :) so it is your software that routed it :p
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2297 on: 16 March, 2017, 02:11:26 pm »
Had a little chuckle when I saw this. A new dashboard tool caught my eye, and when I clicked on the Project Management image the name of the project was rather topical. Any news?

https://freeter.io/dashboard-examples/project-management

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2298 on: 16 March, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
Maybe i should set up a trello for the Dutch adventure too lol
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2299 on: 16 March, 2017, 02:59:34 pm »
Had a little chuckle when I saw this. A new dashboard tool caught my eye, and when I clicked on the Project Management image the name of the project was rather topical. Any news?

https://freeter.io/dashboard-examples/project-management

Are you asking about ACME.bike?  If so I can report its slowly getting there.  The copy is mostly written but needs a bit of tweaking.  What we REALLY need are decent photos so you can all help.  If you are out at the weekend get snapping!  Camera phone photos should be OK but if you've got a proper camera please take it out with you and use it with gay abandon.