Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526184 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3975 on: 28 July, 2020, 08:47:17 pm »
An ACME holiday would be smashing. Preferably local-ish, but some new territory in a quiet part of East Anglia/Lincolnshire/East Midlands maybe?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3976 on: 28 July, 2020, 08:54:56 pm »
It would be great if we could make use of farm fields, paying £10 per person per night sort of sticks a bit after experiencing France last year.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3977 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:17:20 pm »
If it was per tent, we could put a marquee on Fred and all share that  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3978 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:47:19 am »
It would be great if we could make use of farm fields, paying £10 per person per night sort of sticks a bit after experiencing France last year.

For the longer 2 night adventure I had in mind setting off on Friday evening, riding into the night, having a bivvy when we got tired, riding some more then having a longer bivvy on Saturday night before getting home sometime on Sunday.  In terms of a route I was thinking of heading up into Suffolk.  When I turned 50 you chaps gave me Jack Thurston's "Lost Lanes" book and I was wondering about incorporating some of his routes.

If it was per tent, we could put a marquee on Fred and all share that  :thumbsup:

Funny  ::-)  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3979 on: 29 July, 2020, 12:14:15 pm »
I'm not convinced with the ride till we drop, try and get 2 hours kip and ride more then get another 2 hours kip - I was thinking of a slightly more civilised get somewhere, break camp, cook, eat drink, 4 hours sleep... ride, repeat...  ;D ;D

I noticed some chaps did Peddlers Way and I think we might have discussed it the other week at Tomsk Towers over beers - seemed like a good idea for a bit of adventure?  There may be sandy bits though (I'm less inclined on them because of drive train issues they may kick up... ) Perhaps combined with a bit of Icknield Way?

Does Jack's book cover any of Suffolk / Norfolk?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3980 on: 29 July, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »
I'm not convinced with the ride till we drop, try and get 2 hours kip and ride more then get another 2 hours kip - I was thinking of a slightly more civilised get somewhere, break camp, cook, eat drink, 4 hours sleep... ride, repeat...  ;D ;D

I noticed some chaps did Peddlers Way and I think we might have discussed it the other week at Tomsk Towers over beers - seemed like a good idea for a bit of adventure?  There may be sandy bits though (I'm less inclined on them because of drive train issues they may kick up... ) Perhaps combined with a bit of Icknield Way?

I had in mind what you said above so all good with me.  Yes, some years back me, Tom, Oaky and Wobbly John did the Peddars Way - good it was.  I will bring Jack's book along this evening.

rob

« Reply #3981 on: 29 July, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »

I was riding round Norfolk yesterday and saw a couple of blokes with full bikepacking gear.   I wonder if that's what they were doing.

I had in mind what you said above so all good with me.  Yes, some years back me, Tom, Oaky and Wobbly John did the Peddars Way - good it was.  I will bring Jack's book along this evening.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3982 on: 29 July, 2020, 01:15:14 pm »
Vagrancy is becoming ever more popular rob  ;D

« Reply #3983 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:08:50 pm »
I'm up for this. But only if we can just call it a mini-tour or a camping trip. Any inclusion of words such as "bikepacking" or "microadventure" and I'm out....  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3984 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »
I'm up for this. But only if we can just call it a mini-tour or a camping trip. Any inclusion of words such as "bikepacking" or "microadventure" and I'm out....  :P

Fair enough  :thumbsup:

How are you fixed a week on Friday for the 1 nighter to Shinglehead Point?  Not only have I pinched Chris' wild camp site I've nicked some of HIS ROUTE as well.

« Reply #3985 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:38:18 pm »

How are you fixed a week on Friday for the 1 nighter to Shinglehead Point?  Not only have I pinched Chris' wild camp site I've nicked some of HIS ROUTE as well.

Friday the 7th? What time are you planning on leaving?

EDIT: I was at that camping spot the other week! I stopped there for a bit and not once did I think "Hmmm... This would make a good camping spot"!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3986 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »

Friday the 7th? What time are you planning on leaving?

EDIT: I was at that camping spot the other week! I stopped there for a bit and not once did I think "Hmmm... This would make a good camping spot"!

Dunno what time to leave, I'm up for suggestions.  I'd be free from 5:30 onwards.  Regarding the camping spot, I'm just going on the fact Chris went there.  On Strava he has a photo of 3 tents and plenty of room to spare.

« Reply #3987 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:32:26 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure it would be fine  :thumbsup: The tide was right out when I was there (it was the day I snuck over to Osea Island), but some areas were somewhat soggy underfoot. Still - there's an old pill box there, so if things get really bad, could always kip in there!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3988 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:38:13 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure it would be fine  :thumbsup: The tide was right out when I was there (it was the day I snuck over to Osea Island), but some areas were somewhat soggy underfoot. Still - there's an old pill box there, so if things get really bad, could always kip in there!

Fab, you're signed up!  I will see if I can sign some more folks up this evening.  I'm thinking of talking a little tent as opposed to a bivvy.  I'm putting some chunky tyres back on Fred and removing mudguards.  I'm also going to experiment with front panniers, big Carradice and stuff on the rear rack like what they do over The Pond.

« Reply #3989 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:39:39 pm »

Fab, you're signed up!  I will see if I can sign some more folks up this evening.  I'm thinking of talking a little tent as opposed to a bivvy.  I'm putting some chunky tyres back on Fred and removing mudguards.  I'm also going to experiment with front panniers, big Carradice and stuff on the rear rack like what they do over The Pond.

Oh I'm not quite a definite yet! Probably be ok for it though...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3990 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:41:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3991 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:08:43 am »

I'd give Maypole Lane a swerve and head along and take NCN1 route to Heybridge and then Chigborough onwards to rejoin the route... if you want a more adventurous route, then over the RBT at Maypole and left on to Wood Lane a quick right/left and follow the track up to Church Lane to pick up the route.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3992 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:03:05 am »

I'd give Maypole Lane a swerve and head along and take NCN1 route to Heybridge and then Chigborough onwards to rejoin the route... if you want a more adventurous route, then over the RBT at Maypole and left on to Wood Lane a quick right/left and follow the track up to Church Lane to pick up the route.

Make sure you come with us and lead the way  :-*

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3993 on: 30 July, 2020, 07:36:31 pm »
Re: Friday's night out - are we meeting for a pub meal before, or planning on cooking dinner by moonlight on the coast? We went to 'Ruby's' at Tolly D'Arcy on the autumn trip, I recall.

Btw, the tide tables say 7th Aug is just after the spring tide peak, (full-moon on 3rd) if I'm reading them correctly, but there'll still be a lot of water about, enough maybe to inundate marsh and beach beyond the sea wall, especially if the wind is onshore. And at just before 4 in the morning ... just saying!

« Reply #3994 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:43:33 pm »

If there's going to be an ACME bivi/camp weekend heading in my direction again, give me a ping about it (if I'm still welcome) - I don't always notice when my name is mentioned...  ;)

BTW. I've just put the tent up in the garden for a practice.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3996 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:26:13 am »

If there's going to be an ACME bivi/camp weekend heading in my direction again, give me a ping about it (if I'm still welcome) - I don't always notice when my name is mentioned...  ;)

BTW. I've just put the tent up in the garden for a practice.

Yes we will do and of course you're still welcome!  :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3997 on: 31 July, 2020, 10:28:51 am »
Re: Friday's night out - are we meeting for a pub meal before, or planning on cooking dinner by moonlight on the coast? We went to 'Ruby's' at Tolly D'Arcy on the autumn trip, I recall.

Btw, the tide tables say 7th Aug is just after the spring tide peak, (full-moon on 3rd) if I'm reading them correctly, but there'll still be a lot of water about, enough maybe to inundate marsh and beach beyond the sea wall, especially if the wind is onshore. And at just before 4 in the morning ... just saying!

I'm happy with a Ruby if others are.  If the option gets a vote I will phone them to see how we get a table.

Regarding high tides, I reckon we go check it out and if the situation looks marginal we move inland a bit.  Worst case scenario we ride home!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3998 on: 31 July, 2020, 01:39:23 pm »
Curry House was still BYOD when I went past a week or so ago...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3999 on: 31 July, 2020, 02:28:28 pm »
Curry House was still BYOD when I went past a week or so ago...
Bring your own ???

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...