Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526398 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4550 on: 30 May, 2021, 04:45:25 pm »
If you've still got the files then you can still submit a report (they don't have to be retained on the device even though they say to!)  but if you do submit a report, take the youtube video off line :)
I'll give it a shot then.  ;)

« Reply #4551 on: 30 May, 2021, 04:53:27 pm »
Did you miss me?  :-*
Yes!  Where an earth have you been?  :-*
Mostly here, some running, and very little cycling. That little cycling has been very local, although today I went to Wickford!
Going out on Tuesday to meet the FortyPlus, Papermill Lock.
After 16 years the powers that be have finally cottoned on to the fact that I am my Mums carer! Although too late to get teh jAb earlier than my age group generally did.

« Reply #4552 on: 30 May, 2021, 05:27:14 pm »
If you've still got the files then you can still submit a report (they don't have to be retained on the device even though they say to!)  but if you do submit a report, take the youtube video off line :)
I'll give it a shot then.  ;)
The deed is done!  :demon:

« Reply #4553 on: 30 May, 2021, 05:53:37 pm »
All this video close pass stuff has reminded me of last year when I recorded a yoof firing an imitation 45 caliber style automatic pistol near the Thames Estuary Yacht Club. I wasn't sure what it was but I was pretty sure it wasn't a real gun as there was no bang, just the rustle of the leaves of the bushes he was firing at. I pulled up about 100 metres past and called the rozzers. They didn't seem all that bothered and as far as I know they didn't look at the footage I posted, in a private link, either. Still it's been nearly a year so here it is.
https://youtu.be/h-zLPC6b4ck

felstedrider

« Reply #4554 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:40:05 pm »
Bumped into Bernster on the Cambridge Busway cycle path this morning.  Both of us on 200k perms.

Nice day for it.

Very nice to see a friendly face from ACME whilst out and about - I was thinking after we'd met that the Cambridge Busway is probably one of the more well used sections of DIY route, so I guess if I was going to see someone, it would more than likely be there  :thumbsup:

I managed to stay dry for 195km of my 200k ride, then the heavens opened for the last bit  ::-)

I had to detour just South of Whittlesey as the road was closed.  I didn’t think to ask but I assume it had re-opened before Hereward the Wake went that way.

It went a bit dark just before my destination but stayed dry.  I had a very slight tailwind pretty much the whole way.

« Reply #4555 on: 30 May, 2021, 09:15:47 pm »
Bumped into Bernster on the Cambridge Busway cycle path this morning.  Both of us on 200k perms.

Nice day for it.

Very nice to see a friendly face from ACME whilst out and about - I was thinking after we'd met that the Cambridge Busway is probably one of the more well used sections of DIY route, so I guess if I was going to see someone, it would more than likely be there  :thumbsup:

I managed to stay dry for 195km of my 200k ride, then the heavens opened for the last bit  ::-)

I had to detour just South of Whittlesey as the road was closed.  I didn’t think to ask but I assume it had re-opened before Hereward the Wake went that way.

Not only open but lovely smooth fast tarmac with no sign of spray and go gravel of many a resurface.

« Reply #4556 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:11:29 pm »
I have a pending notice of prosecution for a close pass video I sent to Essex/Southend Plod. Part of the email says
blah blah boiler plate stuff ... "offering the offender an educational course, a fixed penalty notice or preparing a file to be heard at court."

This is from my early morning Friday ride not the incident mentioned above.

« Reply #4557 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:29:10 pm »
Two more emails re the close passes mentioned above. They are both being reported for prosecution.

It's a good result, I can see that, so why do I feel bad, guilty even, about submitting the videos?  ???

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4558 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »
Two more emails re the close passes mentioned above. They are both being reported for prosecution.

It's a good result, I can see that, so why do I feel bad, guilty even, about submitting the videos?  ???

Don't see why you need to feel guilty.  If the driver drove their vehicle correctly you wouldn't have any cause to report them.  They made a choice to drive like a twat, no-one forced them.

« Reply #4559 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:59:43 pm »

Don't see why you need to feel guilty.  If the driver drove their vehicle correctly you wouldn't have any cause to report them.  They made a choice to drive like a twat, no-one forced them.
You're right  :thumbsup:, I've had this conversation with Mum, and you both hit the nail on the head.
I've been through the video I shot today. I could report at least another seven but because of disc space I'm going to use this new power for the ones that are really bad, punishment passes for example.
I think I've become immune to them as they don't really register much anymore. They have to very bad now for me to use teh language and the gesticulation of the digits.

« Reply #4560 on: 02 June, 2021, 03:53:52 pm »
I have been playing around with GoPro Quik and iMovie. Here is my interrupted descent into madness Papermill Lock.
https://youtu.be/fXLI4KdcGtE

« Reply #4561 on: 03 June, 2021, 10:32:18 am »
What a difference a week makes.

Didn't we all just know that as Step 3 was drawing to a close and we were looking forward to sitting indoors again, the weather would finally turn in favour of sitting outside.

A combination of a central venue and favourable weather always draws out the crowds (and the sandals) and last night was no exception.

Spurred on by the remains of a tailwind and the imminent threat of a thunder shower, I arrived at the Swan early again - technically I arrived at a different road entirely, having managed to take a wrong turn, and was fortunate to spot the familiar figure of Carlos as he chewed his bars in an effort to gain even more speed out of his Ti dream machine.  Obviously I pretended to have been looking for other riders rather than admit to the navigational error as I puffed after him.

We found Sir Robert Helpmann already settled in and fiddling with his mullet and were soon joined by Robert Fitzroy.  it didn't take long for us to create something of a muddle with our sample ordering - possibly not helped by Sir Robert telling the barkeep she ought to be more kangaroo.  Order was restored with the arrival of the famous Witham peloton (Huggy, the Hustler and the rest of Jemango) - the faint swoosh of a well-ordered fast group and a carefully choreographed crunch of gravel announcing their presence just before they hove into view.  The Hustler took immediate charge of the situation by establishing a kitty and an order of service and then bringing Huggy sharply into line when he tried to go off piste and miss the first sample in favour of a later tipple.  The Hustler brooks no nonsense but his iron rule is without fear or favour.  Tomsk then arrived as the sole representative of the Wild Westerners - Josser having been stricken with a late case of CBA. 

That left us waiting for the repurposed Ambassador Desiato and his return from his first voyage of discovery. His mission; Suffolk, the final frontier, to explore new venues, to seek out new ales and new covered outdoor seating venues and to go boldly without using split infinitives where no ACME rider has gone before.   When he arrived back from the strange new land known as the Shoulder of Mutton he brought not only pictures for us to voo on a compooter but even a menu to show what the local population eats - remarkably similar to our own diet in fact. 

We thought that was us for the night but we had reckoned without OD's genius for making the simple complicated.  Poor Christophe had fallen under his spell and been treated to a madcap dash through the lanes of mid-Essex circling the Swan in a series of loops until they eventually made it. By my calculations it is about 5km from Christophe's Cabin to the Swan, how he managed to clock up 51km on that journey, OD alone knows.

A high turnout affords an opportunity for some of our special interest clubs to form break out groups.  Last night I was bamboozled as usual by the Using the Internet to Show Pictures of Birds Nests, Weather Stations and Other Stuff Caucus, the Round Ring Society - a bit like the Flat Earth Society but they don't believe in oval chain rings rather than a spherical planet, the Talk Nonsense With OD Discussion Forum and, inevitably, the Ti Circle droning on about the lack of road buzz and how shiny their bits are.

We are lucky to have such a fine bunch of people as the QCC in amongst all the technical mumbo jumbo.  It is a plain-talking group whose only agenda is to spread joy and harmony through the consumption of real ale.  This is something neatly encapsulated in its simple mission statement: The Quaffers' Choice Committee is a social and community development organisation for bike riding ale enthusiasts and by bike riding ale enthusiasts Our work is about building stronger communities, neighbourhoods, and economies, and we believe that bike riding ale enthusiasts are an important leverage point in that work. The Quaffers' Choice Committee's mission is to cultivate vibrant communities by connecting bike riding ale enthusiasts with the skills, information, and services they need to make informed choices about bike riding ale sampling and about living life.

Last night we sampled; Woodforde's Wherry, Crouch Vale's Yakima Gold, Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold and Mighty Oak's Captain Bob - at least most of us did, even the Hustler's authoritarian tendencies are no match for prankster-in-chief OD as he weaves his mayhem into merlot drinking while dragging the easily-influenced along with him.  Yakima took the coveted award.

Somewhere along the line and somehow I am now Carlos's designated carer, entrusted with seeing him most of the way home on a Wednesday.  It has not been a complete success to date but we do seem to be getting better.  One of the problems is that the great man is so quick, it is not always easy to shout directions at him as he disappears off the wrong way.  Last night it was me who nearly took a wrong turn - having a rider up the road is not always a bad thing.  What a pleasure it was to ride back on a windless and still warm evening and to return offshore before 11.30.  These are the golden nights of MEMWNS.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4562 on: 03 June, 2021, 11:32:45 am »
Splendid as ever Sir Bard!

In other news I shall be spending some time with Oaky over the next few days.  He and I have already loosely discussed another bivvy adventure and I hope further discussions will reveal a range of dates which I hope we can share with folks shortly.   We talked about riding to a nice pub on a Friday evening for food and drinks then bivvy close by and return on Saturday morning.

« Reply #4563 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:07:50 pm »
A mechanical question if I may.

My SRAM XD cassette needs replacing, and I have sourced a replacement. Instructions for removal make it look straightforward, use a chain whip to keep the cassette from turning, and then put the adapter-thing into the cassette and use a long-handled wrench to undo the cassette in an anti-clockwise direction.

As you might imagine, that isn't working. There's no movement whatsoever when applying brute force, nor when carefully using a mallet.

Any sensible suggestions gratefully received.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4564 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:22:40 pm »
It can take brute force.   I recall putting the cassette tool in the desk vice and using the wheel as a lever (copying the local bike shop's method).   I have also seen on here, but can't find it, in a reader's bodges thread a forummer who attached the whip to a nail in the garage door frame in order to then use a scaffold pole on the spanner on the cassette tool.

« Reply #4565 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:28:24 pm »
It can take brute force.   I recall putting the cassette tool in the desk vice and using the wheel as a lever (copying the local bike shop's method).   I have also seen on here, but can't find it, in a reader's bodges thread a forummer who attached the whip to a nail in the garage door frame in order to then use a scaffold pole on the spanner on the cassette tool.

Ah yes ... I'll try the vice technique. Thank you ... I'll report back in a while.

« Reply #4566 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:38:12 pm »
Daft question, you are turning the cassette tool the right way?

« Reply #4567 on: 03 June, 2021, 06:57:34 pm »
Anti-clockwise, yes. Using the vice, there is only one way in any case.

Vice technique is not working. I'm going to soak the thing in WD40 overnight, and try again tomorrow.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4568 on: 03 June, 2021, 08:52:37 pm »
I use a standard locking adaptor with a 24mm spanner - the spanner is bent to align the applied force with the effective drive surface. I put the spanner and the handle of the chain whip close to each other and then close the gap between the two using the grip of both hands - this technique also saves knuckles from the spokes when it does release.
An alternative to using high static torque is to use an impact gun (air or battery powered car wheel bolt gun). They get BB cups out a lot better than long wrenches, especially when working solo because the adaptors don't twist off the cups (whilst using the other hand trying to hold the framedown).

I have never had a cassette lock ring sieze but I assume it just amplifies the problems of keeping the chain whip on and stopping the adaptor twisting off whilst stopping the wheel escaping. Keep a tyre on, fully inflated, to protect the rim and act as a handle; and avoid strapping anything to the spokes or catching them with tools or knuckles.

WD40 can help, but is prone to evaporating and becoming less effective on long soaks. In most mechanical situations heat can help but I would avoid this on hubs and cassette due to the plastic and rubber seals.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4569 on: 03 June, 2021, 09:38:05 pm »
I assume you've had a look at the usual youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP3kCM1IuUc

I'd give the normal method a go but with the tyre on rather than the bare rim! I wear a pair of builders gloves to avoid the knuckle rash that is quite often a issue as pointed out by BFC.

I assume you put some copperslip on before the cassette was fitted?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-x1-11speed-cassette-stuck/
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-xd-cassettesfreehubs-heads-up/

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4570 on: 04 June, 2021, 08:01:41 am »
My fool proof technique...

1. Buy a few bottles of beer
2. Contact BFC and ask nicely
3. Travel to BFC's house
4. Leave bike related issue and beer with BFC (sometimes money is required too)
5. Return when problem resolved

« Reply #4571 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:06:15 am »
Thanks BFC, Joergen and OD.

I'd mostly be doing what you have suggested, but when using the chain whip / wrench I think my gap could have been closer to aid the mechanical force ... and in the video I like the idea to use bodyweight in a more downwards trajectory.

Copperslip. I will be using it with the new cassette. The current one was put on by the bike builder. 15000km later it has served its useful life.

OD - your suggestion is so tempting! I'm hoping to work this one through. My singlespeeds and fixie have never been this problematic.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4572 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
XD cassettes are the work of Stan. That is all.

BFC

« Reply #4573 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:54:53 am »
With that cassette design put the chain whip on one of the larger sprockets, preferrably the largest but look after the spokes.

If you put the chain whip on the smaller sprockets the side force applied to the cassette squeezes the collar you are trying to turn between the cluster and the freehub - the harder you try the tighter it gets.
The only thing stopping the splines from flaring is the smallest sprockets, the splines on the tool need to be long enough to fully engage in the collar (8mm min).

If the splines fail it looks like the main cassette body will come off (once most of the splines are gone!) giving access to the outside of the collar. Cutting the last couple of mm off the splines would also release the cassette (die grinder would do this).

On rebuild I would probably put adhesive PTFE tape on the plain part of the freehub before applying the copper grease to everything, but most people don't have such stuff laying around. Also note that the collar tightens onto the outer bearing surface, I assume they don't use stainless steel bearings as standard, this is the most likely area for rot to get established at the ally to steel interface.

BFC

« Reply #4574 on: 04 June, 2021, 02:53:36 pm »
... and in the video I like the idea to use bodyweight in a more downwards trajectory.

Be carefull, I know someone that broke their wrists undoing car wheelnuts - pushing downwards, when it did turn all their weight and effort propelled their palms into the concrete.

General elf an safety is to think about what happens when either the thing you are trying to turn does, it snaps or the tool slips. I have plenty of scars to prove I don't always think before doing. Mostly it's just ammusing to anyone watching, sometimes it gets serious.