Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526224 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5200 on: 10 June, 2022, 10:12:32 am »
@bobb:  :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

felstedrider

« Reply #5201 on: 10 June, 2022, 11:21:07 am »
Doing a 300 in Sussex although I'm not completely sure why.   For some reason I hadn't seen the local ride.

That said I have done Green and Yellow Fields a lot.   I have been working through my old brevet cards recently for a little project and my first ride was in 1994 when it started from Wrabness Village Hall and was run by Herman.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5202 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:11:33 pm »
I remember you saying last year you could do G&YF 300 without a route sheet!

This will be only my fourth time on G&YF but very much looking forward to a June edition opposed to late April / early May!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5203 on: 10 June, 2022, 12:19:47 pm »
I will be at Manningtree around midnight, assisting Huggy.

Then off to Burnham Deepdale in the tin box.

I did the ride on Monday night into Tuesday. Very high pollen levels.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5204 on: 10 June, 2022, 03:33:56 pm »
At the station and at the Mogul too for CURRY.  :thumbsup:

I did the ride on Monday night into Tuesday. Very high pollen levels.

Got my medication this afternoon ... after several attempts at the surgery and chemist through the week.  ::-) This time of year I prefer a good damp ride.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #5205 on: 10 June, 2022, 04:39:16 pm »
I am aiming to leave the house sometime between 17:00 and 17:30 to get to Manningtree around 22:30 for curry and audax :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5206 on: 10 June, 2022, 09:51:10 pm »
Good luck all!  :thumbsup: I'm sure it will be a cracking ride, weather looks great!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5207 on: 16 June, 2022, 06:46:43 pm »
Hello peeps,

Well, tomorrow is the big day for me as I'll be doing my first 600 in the shape of the Fenland Friends Helpers' ride.

I did buy a packable down jacket but I think I'll leave it at home and just bring a long sleeved thermal cycling one, the weather says a low of 17C through Friday night! Also I'll probably not bother with mudguards. Since getting full guards on the single speed, I have developed a deep loathing for my half arsed/half covering raceblades (the only ones I can get to fit the geared bike). Winter gloves will also be out, as will a base layer (probably).

Does anything about that sound stupid?
Thank you!

« Reply #5208 on: 16 June, 2022, 06:59:21 pm »
Sounds fine Nick, but do remember that nighttime temps are often lower than the forecast. I’d probably take long fingered gloves, but the switch to a thermal layer in lieu of the down jacket should be fine. Just plan for what you might need if you have a mechanical issue that results in a prolonged stay outside without cycling.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5209 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:17:37 pm »
Sounds fine Nick, but do remember that nighttime temps are often lower than the forecast. I’d probably take long fingered gloves, but the switch to a thermal layer in lieu of the down jacket should be fine. Just plan for what you might need if you have a mechanical issue that results in a prolonged stay outside without cycling.

Excellent, many thanks, psyclist - I think on your advice I will keep the winter gloves and the base layer. I also have the (lightweight) rain jacket for another layer if needed. I've packed a sort of cellular (very quick to inflate/deflate) matress for the bus shelter. Its a bit weighty (250 - 300g?), is this worth it, do you think? Do you actually sleep or just drift in and out of consciousness? Will I be there long enough for it to be worthwhile?

« Reply #5210 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:19:20 pm »
It will feel a lot colder than you think, especially when tired, and 17C at night is colder than 17C during the day.  No solar radiation to warm you.  A silver emergency foil bag can be useful if you’ve got one, and barely takes up any room before you first use it.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5211 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:22:56 pm »
Re: mattresses - I think a hard surface feels surprisingly comfy at silly o'clock. I do however carry a space blanket type emergency bag, which would also be handy if the floor or wherever is a tad dirty. I usually pile up odd bits of clothing on my saddlebag for a pillow. The great thing about this time of year is after even just a nap, it's getting light and feels like the 're-set button' for your body.

« Reply #5212 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:24:47 pm »
It will feel a lot colder than you think, especially when tired, and 17C at night is colder than 17C during the day.  No solar radiation to warm you.  A silver emergency foil bag can be useful if you’ve got one, and barely takes up any room before you first use it.

Noted, and thank you, Phil! I think I'll be warm enough without the down jacket. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5213 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:30:48 pm »
Actually, just looked at the weather for north of me and it looks like rain on Sat, so mudguards are back. Half is better than nothing!

« Reply #5214 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:32:01 pm »
Re: mattresses - I think a hard surface feels surprisingly comfy at silly o'clock. I do however carry a space blanket type emergency bag, which would also be handy if the floor or wherever is a tad dirty. I usually pile up odd bits of clothing on my saddlebag for a pillow. The great thing about this time of year is after even just a nap, it's getting light and feels like the 're-set button' for your body.

Thank you, Tomsk - I might bring it anyway as I have room. Will bring spare socks in case of getting wet!

« Reply #5215 on: 16 June, 2022, 08:04:15 pm »
Actually, just looked at the weather for north of me and it looks like rain on Sat, so mudguards are back. Half is better than nothing!

Are you setting off tomorrow or Saturday?

felstedrider

« Reply #5216 on: 16 June, 2022, 09:06:51 pm »
Best of luck.  It does look a smidge warm tomorrow but I suspect you know that.

If you post on Twitter I’ll keep an eye out.   I plan to be out and about locally Saturday afternoon so might see if I can find you.

« Reply #5217 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:11:47 pm »

Are you setting off tomorrow or Saturday?

We're off tomorrow, Phil.

« Reply #5218 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:12:38 pm »
Best of luck.  It does look a smidge warm tomorrow but I suspect you know that.

If you post on Twitter I’ll keep an eye out.   I plan to be out and about locally Saturday afternoon so might see if I can find you.

Nice one - be good to bump into you. Goodness knows what sort of wrecked state I'll be in by then though. :-D

« Reply #5219 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:27:31 pm »

felstedrider

« Reply #5220 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:46:59 am »
Tracking link if anybody wants it: https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/d8ac-add9480-e593/view

More track watching.   That's my day sorted.   Making nice progress past Cambridge.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5221 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:39:56 am »
And now at the Chatteris contro :thumbsup: 

Proper fenland!

« Reply #5222 on: 17 June, 2022, 06:10:58 pm »
Just approaching Gainsborough at 18:00.  Dot watching beats Friday night telly!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5223 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:37:13 pm »
Just approaching Gainsborough at 18:00.  Dot watching beats Friday night telly!

Water torture beats Friday night telly.

I have been breaking into a neighbours house (shut door with keys on the inside, eurolock style locks). Found a double glazing unit that has external beading...

Then renewing an 8 speed chain and cassette for another neighbour.

« Reply #5224 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:48:28 pm »
Dot watching beats Friday night telly!
It's not as exciting as watching a forum thread commenting on the progress of the dot ;D ;D ;D