Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526206 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5425 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:18:42 pm »
What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag

I thought you’d be more of a Tailfin person.

Our Nick is a man of great taste who respects English cycling traditions!

Fairlight have only been going for 6 years, not much longer than Tailfin. Two very modern companies.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5426 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:07:19 pm »
Hello all,

What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag on the single speed (and maybe on my shiny new Fairlight-that-is-still-in-my-dreamsa-a-bit-but-=think-I-will-get-one).

Do I need a metal rack for it tht comes off the saddle?

Ta. xxx

There are a few options but my favourite is this: https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags/

Great! many thanks!

« Reply #5427 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:09:14 pm »
I’ve got a bagman on the green fixed if you want a look.

I’ll be at Witham next Sat.

Ah, sadly I don't think I'll be there. Thanks though. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5428 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:14:48 pm »
What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag

I thought you’d be more of a Tailfin person.

Our Nick is a man of great taste who respects English cycling traditions!

Fairlight have only been going for 6 years, not much longer than Tailfin. Two very modern companies.

Its primarily for shorter rides on the Pearson, the world’s oldest bicycle business. I may use it on the shiny but probably not as that'll be for bigger rides where I'll need more room.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5429 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:44:29 pm »
I have a range of Carradice bags and bagman QR bracketry, including a few spare bagman sports support "wires". I have changed a few of my machines to home made supports.

« Reply #5430 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:47:04 pm »
I have a range of Carradice bags and bagman QR bracketry, including a few spare bagman sports support "wires". I have changed a few of my machines to home made supports.

Thanks - I will check them out when I collect the wheel if possible.

Lights are on order so hopefully soon.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5431 on: 30 October, 2022, 12:14:10 pm »
Also worth noting that the Bagman brackets need a bit of straight rail behind the seatpost (about 15mm) to clamp onto, and some seat/seatpost designs become a pain to set up and adjust once the bracket is fitted to the saddle rails.

Best compatibility is with side clamped seatposts, which include USE Duro/Sumo and Pro (Shimano brand for non series parts).
Not compatible with USE Alien seatpost clamps.
If short of space on the rails an in line seatpost (zero offset) or reversed seatpost is a possibility.

« Reply #5432 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:27:59 pm »
Going Free: 2 brand new tyres, Vee Tire Co, Speedster 700 x 40. They came new on a bike, but I replaced immediately with Schwalbe Marathons as my commute involves a canal towpath with all sorts of debris. These tyres are more suited to road and firm off-road surfaces. https://www.partsforscooters.com/154-286-Vee-Tire-Co-Speedster-700x40c-E-Bike-Commuting-Hybrid-Gravel-Tire

For collection (Bishop's Stortford) or I can take to an ACME event. I'd prefer to see them used than end up in landfill, or wherever tyres end up these days.

Amazon has the following description:

The Speedster is designed for rolling speed and minimal drag on hard-pack or paved terrain. The honeycomb center tread provides virtually zero rolling resistance and unbelievable tread life. This feature also gives you excellent traction in dry or wet conditions. Large diamond shaped side knobs provide the grip you need in corners, while the tread knobs get smaller towards the center for the ultimate speed and traction. And with its balloon-style structure, you ll feel like you re floating on air.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5433 on: 04 November, 2022, 12:59:13 pm »
Into the fog with the fogeys

Local venues are particularly welcome when the weather turns wintery and the Swan at Totham is one of the closest MEMWNS favourites to my offshore lair.   However, what should have been an easy 12 mile spin to the pub, ended up being a bit more adventurous than planned.  The first problem was an unexpected tidal surge.  I wasn't the only one caught out by the road being covered in over a foot of water when we were supposed to be heading to neap tides.  As I stood on the pavement, trying to decide whether I could cycle along the pavement without wrecking my bike in salt water and then "wash" it off in the inevitable post-deluge puddles to follow, my decision was made for me.  There is always somebody who thinks they are smarter than everyone else.  This driver thought nothing of the fact there was a large queue of traffic before a tidal causeway, drove past the queue and hit the water at almost full speed.  The wave of water that thudded into his radiator grill and cascaded over his roof probably brought him to his senses and he slowed to a virtual standstill as he sheepishly headed over.  Meanwhile, at the side of the road, his bow wave had caught me and my bike square on so there was little point in worrying about a few inches of seawater.

Safely across, I realised my glasses had fogged up while I was waiting.  The problem was that when I removed them, the visibility was no better.  The fog was so thick it was difficult to see the road - never mind anything ahead.  Eventually, I had to use a zoomed in map on the GPS just to ensure I didn't inadvertently miss a junction or cross one.  It was also properly cold for the first time in a long time.

The pub was a welcome sight when I got close enough to see it.

Inside, I found Tomsk and Robert Woodget in deep conversation.  A measure of just how foggy it was outside was that we did not see Hotblack's light show until he was at the window of the pub.

As Hotblack joined us, the penny dropped; I was gatecrashing the annual Golden Oldies night - no wonder I felt so young and sprightly.  We can now add the three cyclists to Monty Python's three Yorkshiremen.  First up it was who had the fewest gears on their bike when they cycled Sutton Bank in the 1960s, we then moved through; worst brakes, heaviest touring set up, least waterproof clothing and most unreliable lights.  As an encore, we had a wide-ranging debate on who used the least tech.  It was almost a relief when it was time for Hotblack's Half Hour. This week's powerpoint presentation was titled "Grease; viscosity not the film".  Who knew there was quite so much to learn about lubing spherical balls.

These days the Swan carries fewer ales but they always have at least two local brews on tap and Oscar Wilde Mild in bottles.  We sampled Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold and Mighty Oak's Captain Bob.  Both showed well enough to merit return sampling.  Even better, they were under £4 a pint and the pub was busy. 

Before we knew it, the clock had somehow sped ahead to closing time and we were standing outside in 3 degrees, fog and damp air.  You could hear my fellow athletes wheezing as they headed off up the road.

My journey home, or at least what I could see of it, was mercifully uneventful.  It even cleared up a bit when I reached the coast.

It seems that winter is finally upon us.  The Swan has to be a regular venue for the eastern contingent.  Maybe we could aim for a rolling roster of venues; SH, Swan, Sun, 'Spoons - other venues not beginning with S are also possible.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5434 on: 04 November, 2022, 01:05:35 pm »
It's like you were actually there  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5435 on: 04 November, 2022, 04:31:29 pm »
Apparently The Viper is close to re-opening too  :thumbsup:

Due to a vehicle mechanical on Team Car #1 I remained in Essex this week... (it's still grounded awaiting me to actually have some time to get it in to the garage...)

I almost joined you all, but work got in the way, as did the steak and bottle of wine, I was offered a lift over to see you all but given my answer was mostly snoring, the Team Car #2 offer was withdrawn....

I'm looking forward to actually getting out for some respite from work one of these weeks!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5436 on: 04 November, 2022, 04:33:17 pm »
Apparently The Viper is close to re-opening too  :thumbsup:

Venues with train assist work as well.  The Viper just about qualifies.

Be good to see you out  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #5437 on: 04 November, 2022, 11:01:31 pm »
Into the fog with the fogeys

Local venues are particularly welcome when the weather turns wintery and the Swan at Totham is one of the closest MEMWNS favourites to my offshore lair.   However, what should have been an easy 12 mile spin to the pub, ended up being a bit more adventurous than planned.  The first problem was an unexpected tidal surge.  I wasn't the only one caught out by the road being covered in over a foot of water when we were supposed to be heading to neap tides.  As I stood on the pavement, trying to decide whether I could cycle along the pavement without wrecking my bike in salt water and then "wash" it off in the inevitable post-deluge puddles to follow, my decision was made for me.  There is always somebody who thinks they are smarter than everyone else.  This driver thought nothing of the fact there was a large queue of traffic before a tidal causeway, drove past the queue and hit the water at almost full speed.  The wave of water that thudded into his radiator grill and cascaded over his roof probably brought him to his senses and he slowed to a virtual standstill as he sheepishly headed over.  Meanwhile, at the side of the road, his bow wave had caught me and my bike square on so there was little point in worrying about a few inches of seawater.

Safely across, I realised my glasses had fogged up while I was waiting.  The problem was that when I removed them, the visibility was no better.  The fog was so thick it was difficult to see the road - never mind anything ahead.  Eventually, I had to use a zoomed in map on the GPS just to ensure I didn't inadvertently miss a junction or cross one.  It was also properly cold for the first time in a long time.

The pub was a welcome sight when I got close enough to see it.

Inside, I found Tomsk and Robert Woodget in deep conversation.  A measure of just how foggy it was outside was that we did not see Hotblack's light show until he was at the window of the pub.

As Hotblack joined us, the penny dropped; I was gatecrashing the annual Golden Oldies night - no wonder I felt so young and sprightly.  We can now add the three cyclists to Monty Python's three Yorkshiremen.  First up it was who had the fewest gears on their bike when they cycled Sutton Bank in the 1960s, we then moved through; worst brakes, heaviest touring set up, least waterproof clothing and most unreliable lights.  As an encore, we had a wide-ranging debate on who used the least tech.  It was almost a relief when it was time for Hotblack's Half Hour. This week's powerpoint presentation was titled "Grease; viscosity not the film".  Who knew there was quite so much to learn about lubing spherical balls.

These days the Swan carries fewer ales but they always have at least two local brews on tap and Oscar Wilde Mild in bottles.  We sampled Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold and Mighty Oak's Captain Bob.  Both showed well enough to merit return sampling.  Even better, they were under £4 a pint and the pub was busy. 

Before we knew it, the clock had somehow sped ahead to closing time and we were standing outside in 3 degrees, fog and damp air.  You could hear my fellow athletes wheezing as they headed off up the road.

My journey home, or at least what I could see of it, was mercifully uneventful.  It even cleared up a bit when I reached the coast.

It seems that winter is finally upon us.  The Swan has to be a regular venue for the eastern contingent.  Maybe we could aim for a rolling roster of venues; SH, Swan, Sun, 'Spoons - other venues not beginning with S are also possible.

Great write up, ted - hope to see you soon!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5438 on: 06 November, 2022, 06:45:17 pm »
I'm riding the Waveney Wander on 20th Nov ... anyone else? Watching the weather - I was thinking of camping at Kessingland, as I did last year for the Silly Suffolk, but maybe go back to the Travelodge this time as it's been so wet recently? If reasonable weather I may ride part-way from/to, from Ipswich, if not I'll probably drive.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #5439 on: 07 November, 2022, 12:24:38 am »
I'm riding the Waveney Wander on 20th Nov ... anyone else?

Myself and the medium Big Saxon are riding. A splendid laney route, has to my fav 100km.. Camping in late November?? I could be tempted if the weather is not adverse. Will be driving all the way there and back.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5440 on: 07 November, 2022, 07:34:42 am »
Camping in late November??

'The Hollies' campsite in Kessingland has good well-drained turf and heated shower blocks. It's still a 'maybe' at the moment.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #5441 on: 08 November, 2022, 08:54:36 pm »
I have also entered the ‘Wavenley Wander.’ Since it just around the corner (relatively speaking.) If anyone wants to cycle and not camp in November you’re welcome to stay at mine in Lowestoft on Saturday night. I have a spare bed and a sofa bed and you can park your bike in the front room. Let me know. 😊
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5442 on: 17 November, 2022, 08:31:04 am »
It was a wild and stormy night ...

I made it to the Prince of Wales via a slightly indirect route and arrived just after GavinC. The Pledgedon Green lane had it all: carpet of leaves wall-to-wall so you couldn't see the road; floods likewise; potholes, drifts of gravel and assorted skogg. At least a bit of shelter from the wind! Terry the landlord remembered our visit a year or more ago, including psyclist testing his cargo bike. I think Josser rode the furthest to get there that time.

The log burner was going and there were about 6 people in the pub. the return trip was into the wind for me, at least Gavin has a tailwind on his longer trip home. The rain was like being hosed-down and the lanes were rivers. I now know which bits of waterproof kit are in fact not, any more ... a useful test.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5443 on: 17 November, 2022, 08:35:46 am »
It was a wild and stormy night ...

I made it to the Prince of Wales via a slightly indirect route and arrived just after GavinC. The Pledgedon Green lane had it all: carpet of leaves wall-to-wall so you couldn't see the road; floods likewise; potholes, drifts of gravel and assorted skogg. At least a bit of shelter from the wind! Terry the landlord remembered our visit a year or more ago, including psyclist testing his cargo bike. I think Josser rode the furthest to get there that time.

The log burner was going and there were about 6 people in the pub. the return trip was into the wind for me, at least Gavin has a tailwind on his longer trip home. The rain was like being hosed-down and the lanes were rivers. I now know which bits of waterproof kit are in fact not, any more ... a useful test.

You're making me envious now.

I spent the evening drinking G&Ts, red wine and eating lasagne (made by me) so it wasn't all bad.

Well done to you and Gavin for getting out there  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5444 on: 17 November, 2022, 10:09:36 am »
You're making me envious now.

I spent the evening drinking G&Ts, red wine and eating lasagne (made by me) so it wasn't all bad.

Well done to you and Gavin for getting out there  :thumbsup:
I think everyone who decided not to come out last night made the right decision  ;D

When I got home I had a half an inch of water sloshing round the inside of my goretex boots!

« Reply #5445 on: 17 November, 2022, 10:13:57 am »
I think both of you deserve some kind of award at the annual awards ceremony!

Well done to you both, I bow down to the pair of you. :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5446 on: 17 November, 2022, 10:36:30 am »

ACME Indissolvability Award? Dihydrogen Monoxide Combativity?

felstedrider

« Reply #5447 on: 17 November, 2022, 10:39:20 am »
I was drenched walking back from the station to the car last night.

I was supposed to ride in this morning but blagged a lift instead.   Cooler and brighter for my 200k on Saturday.

« Reply #5448 on: 18 November, 2022, 07:16:43 am »

ACME Indissolvability Award? Dihydrogen Monoxide Combativity?
Good ideas!

felstedrider

« Reply #5449 on: 21 November, 2022, 07:59:23 am »
On a slightly different note I have a milestone birthday in January and I'm keen to do something.

I'm thinking a group 50k perm from the Spiritual Home the last Saturday of the month.   We could use the Hopstock route and have something at the Blue Egg part way round finishing with drinks/food.   If enough people are up for it will talk to our favourite landlord about using one of the function rooms.

It has been pointed out to me that this now clashes with the Oyster.   Back to the drawing board.