Author Topic: Too much information  (Read 7301 times)

Too much information
« on: 23 September, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »
Bearing in mind the complaints about the difficulty of finding information about audax events, I've put as much as I can on the ukcyclist.co.uk website. There's a description of each event, a routesheet, online entry (non-members included), and now a gpx file.

Have I forgotten anything?

border-rider

Re: Too much information
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »

I expect so ;)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »
...and there was I thinking this was going to be about info controls...

But seriously, those look very useful to me, and great adverts for their respective events.  Devon's a fair trip for me, but I hope I can make it to at least one of those next year.

The only suggestion I can think of might be: is it possible to embed the Google Maps view in the main page?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

AndyH

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2010, 10:24:03 pm »
Excellent site. Rode 2 of the featured rides this year (Mad March 100 and VOR). Maybe more next.

A map of the "Old roads" would be good. Maybe also a clue as to the, ahem, scenic nature of some of your rides  ;)

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »
Wow I like this :)
The Glastonbury one looks like it could well be my first Audax of the new year if I master this winter riding malarkey!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2010, 07:45:06 am »
Bearing in mind the complaints about the difficulty of finding information about audax events, I've put as much as I can on the ukcyclist.co.uk website. There's a description of each event, a routesheet, online entry (non-members included), and now a gpx file.

On my website, for calendar events I also have a map showing location of the start and for AAA calendar events a profile chart.

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:08:15 am »

On my website, for calendar events I also have a map showing location of the start and for AAA calendar events a profile chart.

I started off by supplementing the info on audax.uk.net, but I've come round to the idea of a self-sufficient listing, including entry.

But it'll still refer to AUK regs, calendar, and all the other vast amounts of info there. And there's still the pre-filled AUK entry form.

So, yes, there are still things to add.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
Pretty good  - and some nice improvements compared to the 2010 version. One minor, tiny thing with the design (and not the content): If you go to last years main audax site (http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/aukcal2010) you get nothing not even a 404 (in FF and Chrome). Some sort of redirect would be nice for people who bookmarked the central audax page. Of course, I could just change my bookmark :). Great site!
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:04:12 pm »
Pretty good  - and some nice improvement compared to the 2010 version. One minor, tiny thing with the design (and not the content): If you go to last years main audax site (2010 redirect) you get nothing not even a 404 (in FF and Chrome). Some sort of redirect would be nice for people who bookmarked the central audax page. Of course, I could just change my bookmark :). Great site!

Good point. Is it better now?

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »
Content fine, but the blue on blue tab labels and the yellow on blue 'Online Entry Alternatives' fail current WCAG accessibility gudelines for text / background contrast. Also, there's lots of very small text - though this can be enlarged in the browser.

The rides look good, however  ;)

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »
I can't see a link to a GPX file for any events, where is it?
Also the "Find B&B" link gives an error of "You are not authorised to view this resource."

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »
Content fine, but...

Thanks for that, though it might be a little while before it all gets addressed.

I can't see a link to a GPX file for any events, where is it?
Also the "Find B&B" link gives an error of "You are not authorised to view this resource."

Blimey, I'm getting an uncomfortably thorough audit. Gpx link is only on the events page, top item on the left column. New and not properly integrated yet. I think I've sorted the authorisation error.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:07:02 pm »
There was me thinking this was thread was about my humble submission to Arivee on how I fashioned an emergency replacement foreskin out of cling film.

H

« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
There was me thinking this was thread was about my humble submission to Arivee on how I fashioned an emergency replacement foreskin out of cling film.

H

Unfortunately I think you'll find the article has been bowdlerised to the point that readers will think you  wrap your CoolTool in clingfilm. Now they really will look at you oddly.

AndyH

« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2010, 04:44:39 pm »
I was trying to find a way to enter more than one event at a time yesterday (i.e shopping basket) and pay online, but failed miserably. You have probably got an entry for VOR but no payment. Is it possible to do this ? (or am I just being lazy)

« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »
I was trying to find a way to enter more than one event at a time yesterday (i.e shopping basket) and pay online, but failed miserably. You have probably got an entry for VOR but no payment. Is it possible to do this ? (or am I just being lazy)

No, it doesn't do that. To be honest I didn't think of someone entering several events. I'd need an entry form for each (I'm very keen to stay exactly in line with AUK's entry policy so that insurance, etc., is covered).  I suppose there could be a Paypal button that says "Choose number of perm events at £3 each".

And yes, I have an entry from you

« Reply #16 on: 02 November, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »

I know it's petty, but with regards to the date, could you put the day in too. I suppose
this is because at a glance, individuals could see whether the event was to take place on
a day they couldn't/didn't like to ride on (eg me, don't like doing 200s on a Sunday as it
generally leaves me knackered tired for working on the following Monday.

« Reply #17 on: 02 November, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »

I know it's petty...

I dunno!...actually, you're right. It's on my list to do.

« Reply #18 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »
The things you find during random searches here. ukcyclist.co.uk is still around, much changed. More events; all the old favourites.

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »
I rode Mr Hs  Sea and Levels 200 perm last year. Great ride through some pretty countryside and not as level as the name suggests.    I got Ians permission to start at Clevedon instead of Lyme Regis to save about 200km in the car.

Theres also a 150 km version of the ride.

I can recommend the Moon and Sixpence pub in Clevedon as either a lunch time or arrivee control depending which way you ride it.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »