Author Topic: front bike boost light with remote on/off  (Read 3007 times)

front bike boost light with remote on/off
« on: 18 January, 2020, 05:17:07 pm »
I have a lovely dynamo light which works fine.  There are a couple of sections on my commute where I know the road is bad, big potholes , etc and I would like a bit more light.  I would ideally like a rechargeable light with a clamp which will attach underneath a Garmin mount and which has a remote switch I can mount next to the hoods on the bars.  Does not need to have a good beam pattern as it is only for short periods of floodlighting.

Switch needs to be on/off, not cycle through 100 different iterations!!

Does such a light exist?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: front bike boost light with remote on/off
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2020, 05:54:51 pm »
My Exposure Strada has such a thing.  It's stupidly expensive but you should be able to pick up an old one on the bay.

Ravemen have a remote switch but I've never used one so can't give a personal recommendation.  I looked at them a while back but they were all shaped beams which couldn't be reversed so the lights couldn't be underslung - I don't know whether they've changed anything since then.

[Edit: looking on their website, the Ravemen LR800P with ARB01 might suit?  Otherwise, an Exposure Joystick or similar with their remote.]

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2020, 08:33:30 pm »
The Fenix BC30 series have a remote control, I bought mine from fastech.com who offer a good service and price.  Also from Fastech the Convoy S2+ flashlights are a good option if you have one mounted on the bars, they do have multiple modes but it does remember the last mode selected.  I always use one of these to supplement my dynamo lighting.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2020, 09:54:40 pm »
Have a look at this thread Chris:- https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114434.0

I'm after something similar to you.
I've just (ie today) taken delivery of a Fenix TK32 torch plus remote switch. It seemed the most cost effective way to achieve what I want. I tried a Raveman but its "throw" wasn't as long as I wanted plus the remote switch cycled through all the settings rather than offering "on", "off".
I'll update my original thread when I've got more experience of the new light.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:46:33 pm »
Andrew. Thank you. I did not think to do a search but must have seen your post previously and had it somewhere at the back of my mind.

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:10:50 am »
My Exposure Strada has such a thing.  It's stupidly expensive but you should be able to pick up an old one on the bay.

I had a Strada 600 which I bought for TCR.  I liked the fact that it gave quite a bit of gentle lighting to the sides so quite good for road signs, and just knowing what is around me, but I sold it as I found it didn't put much light on the road, unless I had it on a very high setting.  You must find them OK - I assume that you have one of the more powerful versions?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2020, 12:00:17 pm »
Yes, I've got a 1200.  It's got many good points but you're right that in opposition to most lights, the beam is a bit too wide rather than too narrow.  That would count against it for how I imagine Chris wants use a boost light, which is why I thought something more focused like a Joystick might work better.

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2020, 04:07:54 pm »
I think the joystick is a bit too small but worth considering.

The problem with the Strada is that when i used the remote it was a funny press to turn it off.  Too long and it went to flashing or cycled through the various levels but i did like the Strada.

I am liking the Fenix remote button which only comes on when the button is pressed. This sounds perfect for commuting, the small dip with no lights and possibly water at the bottom or a pothole or poor edge to the road. 5 seconds of illumination and off again.

i will let you know when i make a decision and how it turns out.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:40:00 pm »
I usually run my Strada on medium (about 10 hours).  Unless you envisage running it on high (about 3.5 hours) all the time, it only has three modes to cycle through so a double click on the remote will put it on high, then you can click back down to medium/low afterwards.  Would that be an acceptable option?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:46:25 pm »
In principle this sounds like a job for a Chinesium MTB light driven by a Generic 8-pin Microcontroller™ that can be replaced by a more sensibly-programmed 8-pin microcontroller.  But you just know the effort involved in finding and modifying a suitable one is going to prohibitive...

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:18:23 pm »
The generic “Cree” lights are already controlled by a tact switch, so wiring up a remote would be trivial for someone who knows their way around a soldering iron. Waterproofing it, less so.

« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2020, 11:06:58 am »
In principle this sounds like a job for a Chinesium MTB light driven by a Generic 8-pin Microcontroller™ that can be replaced by a more sensibly-programmed 8-pin microcontroller.  But you just know the effort involved in finding and modifying a suitable one is going to prohibitive...
Or you could just use a 4.8Volt-ish battery and an appropriate valued wire wound series resistor  using terminal block and a classic motorcycle dip switch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2020, 11:59:48 am »
Or you could just use a 4.8Volt-ish battery and an appropriate valued wire wound series resistor  using terminal block and a classic motorcycle dip switch.

How does that stop the light booting up in the 'off' state?

Davef

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2020, 12:58:10 pm »
Give it another year and they will all be running Amazon Alexa (bike light edition).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2020, 08:20:37 pm »
Quote from: SA_SA_SA_SA
How does that stop the light booting up in the 'off' state?

Rather than replacing the microcontroller board with a homebrew replacement  as you suggested I was suggesting replacing it with said resistor, dip switch etc (ie gutting lamp except for optics and led): which is a simple but slightly inefficient solution available to anyone who can solder (I presume the LED might need soldering rather than wire terminals). I chose 4V8ish to minimise inefficency (could use a USB bank).

« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2020, 06:27:43 am »
In the end I bought a fenix torch with remote control and handlebar mount.
Over the last 80km it has worked perfectly.

Flashing the light at cars 2 bends away let’s them know something is round the corner and I can flash the light for bends, dips and other obstructions.

« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:25:36 am »
Glad you have a solution.  Out of interest, which one did you buy?

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2020, 10:40:47 pm »
Tk32. It puts out an amazing amount of light. I may open up the remote wire which is foiled and may also add some micro switches in various places.

« Reply #18 on: 06 February, 2020, 09:56:32 pm »
Tk32. It puts out an amazing amount of light.

Small world or similar conclusions based on the spec Chris ?
I haven't managed to do any significant riding using my TK32 yet but initial thoughts are:-

It's bigger than I thought.
It does have a long "throw".
The remote works well but the "wire" is a bit short

I think it's the way forward.
Fenix bike mount has been delivered and I'm going to try it at the weekend.

« Reply #19 on: 06 February, 2020, 10:02:33 pm »
It's an interesting idea.  I had a look at the TK32 and it looks like a serious piece of kit.  However, it looks like you need a separate charger so wouldn't work for me - I'd like similar that you could charge via a USB.
There are cheap ones on eBay that hit the spec but I expect the remote functioning wouldn't be as good so they would be less pleasant to use.  Beam probably not as good, but maybe good enough.
eg this one, if anyone is interested:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/65000LM-L2-LED-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Hunting-Camping-Torch-with-Remote-Switch/392392313501?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649

« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
It's an interesting idea.  I had a look at the TK32 and it looks like a serious piece of kit.  However, it looks like you need a separate charger so wouldn't work for me - I'd like similar that you could charge via a USB.

Fenix do a TK20R which has an 18650 battery inside but which can be charged via USB as well. It is also compatible with the same remote switch (AER-03) as the TK32

https://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-tk20r-rechargeable-tactical

(It can be got cheaper from elsewhere)

The remote works well but the "wire" is a bit short

There looks to be 2 versions of the AER-03 switch V1 and V2,  V1 one with a longer coiled cable and V2 with a straight lead which can be used with the TK32 and the TK20R or do you have a different one altogether?

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Accessories/Remote-Switches/13171-Fenix-AER-03-Remote-Switch.html

https://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-remote-pressure-switch-aer-03-v2

Specs are similar for the TK32 and TK20R. With the TK20R you don't get the green and red lighting (not something I need), and the the throw is shorter at max 310m

Quite interested in the idea of a TK20R as it means I don't have need to buy an 18650 compatible charger as well.

I've also recently bought a Busch and Muller Ixon Space which is an SVTZO compatible light. This gives a shaped beam like a car dipped headlight. It's incredibly bright but to get the extra 'throw' I find the tendency is to tilt it up a bit, which probably negates the benefit of the shaped beam in not dazzling other road users.

The addition of a 'main beam' would be 'spot on'.  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 07 February, 2020, 02:44:51 pm »

I have the Fenix PD35 (Which I think is also compatible with that switch). I have 18650 batteries for it, they have a micro usb socket on the side and can be charged from any usb socket. No special charger needed. The batteries I have are Fenix branded.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #22 on: 07 February, 2020, 03:49:31 pm »

I have the Fenix PD35 (Which I think is also compatible with that switch). I have 18650 batteries for it, they have a micro usb socket on the side and can be charged from any usb socket. No special charger needed. The batteries I have are Fenix branded.

J

That looks another good option.

The remote switch for the PD35 looks the same but is a different model

https://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-remote-pressure-switch-aer-02

« Reply #23 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »
Posted on my original thread but I thought it would be useful to put it here as well.
Crap joke still included:-

"Holy thread resurrection Batman.

I bought a Fenix FC32 and the Fenix mount plus the remote switch back in March.
Before I had any proper chance to try it, well...............*

I used it last night on the lanes around Mobberley (probably the last "evening" ride I'll organise for my local group this side of Xmas). Low cloud meant it got dark very early.
In conjunction with an IQ Speed the torch did everything I'd hoped in terms of illumination; nice spread of light and a massive range from the TK32 when I needed it.
I've managed to strap the remote switch onto the inside of the LH hood where I can operate it with my thumb and I can still brake, change gear or steer at the same time.
I even managed to "flash" an oncoming car to dip its headlights. The "on-off" nature of the switch works really well.
It's possible to turn down the light level by using a touch pad on the rest of the switch but I'd set it on "lazer"** and used it at that setting.

So far so good.

Drawbacks are that the torch is rather large so fixing it on the bars isn't easy (I've ended up mounting it under the bar next to the stem on the huge Fenix mount) and the cable to the remote switch is too short*** so I need to watch where I'm putting my hands when I'm not riding on the hoods.

Executive summary: Good purchase but could be better.

*Whoever said no single person can change the world didn't eat an under cooked bat.
**Not an official description.
*** Current Fenix on-line info says it's a curly cord that can extend. That's old info, it's a (too short for my application) straight cable."