Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 897353 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #5450 on: 13 March, 2022, 02:02:59 pm »
Rowling is a perfect example of somebody who excels and is widely admired for their achievements in one area but when they broaden their reach it reveals rather more about them than perhaps they actually realise.

She appears to me to be a good fit for a tory candidate at the next election.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5452 on: 20 March, 2022, 12:01:45 pm »
Two Super-Twats for the price of one yesterday as Bloody Stupid Johnson delivers a speech to a half-empty hall at the Tory Spring Conference, in which he compared the Ukrainian people's current fight to rid itself of unwanted house guests to the UK voting for Brexit.  YA RLY.

“Absolute pleasure to welcome the Ukrainian Ambassador [Vadym Prystaiko] to Spring Conference to watch [Bloody Stupid Johnson ]’s brilliant speech” simpered Peter Lilley's successor as perennial Slimy Git of the Week Oliver Durrrrden.  This man sounds like a bit of a crawler, Moriarty.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5453 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:27:41 pm »
Rowling is a perfect example of somebody who excels and is widely admired for their achievements in one area but when they broaden their reach it reveals rather more about them than perhaps they actually realise.

She doesn't to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling#Politics

In 2008 Rowling donated £1 million to the Labour Party, endorsed Labour Prime Minister Gordon Brown over his Conservative challenger David Cameron, and commended Labour's policies on child poverty
Rowling dislikes the British tabloid the Daily Mail,[386] which she successfully sued in 2014 for libel about her time as a single mother

« Reply #5454 on: 21 March, 2022, 09:03:08 pm »
As an antidote to the twattery, what a gesture by Josh Adams... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/60809520
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5455 on: 22 March, 2022, 06:17:08 am »

She doesn't to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling#Politics

In 2008 Rowling donated £1 million to the Labour Party, endorsed Labour Prime Minister Gordon Brown over his Conservative challenger David Cameron, and commended Labour's policies on child poverty
Rowling dislikes the British tabloid the Daily Mail,[386] which she successfully sued in 2014 for libel about her time as a single mother

The problem is that as people age they do tend to shift their opinions to the right.  Obviously not everybody does but it is a known trait.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5456 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:16:25 am »
Sebastian Coe for being a transphobic twat.
Coe against trans women in sport
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #5457 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:20:43 am »
While Coe is generally a twat, none of that seems unreasonable.

« Reply #5458 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:42:41 am »
Sebastian Coe for being a transphobic twat.
Coe against trans women in sport

"... gender cannot trump biology"

We are all different.  If Coe had been born to my body I guarantee no manner of elite training would ever have seen him beat any elite athlete let alone those with whom he identifies.

There is a wider, mature debate needed I accept but there is a vociferous bunch of deniers refusing to accept that we are simply identifiable by a binary system.  This is so closed-minded and almost witch-finder in nature.

ian

« Reply #5459 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:46:05 am »
Well yes, but that's not what he says in the article.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5460 on: 22 March, 2022, 12:34:52 pm »
The problem is that as people age they do tend to shift their opinions to the right.  Obviously not everybody does but it is a known trait.

I saw some research (which was conducted on USAnians, so may not apply to the same extent in civilised countries) that suggested this effect was simply an artefact of wealthy people living long enough to become old.

The moral panic around trans people, on the other hand, is something that's being deliberately stoked for political aims.  That's why it wasn't a 'debate', let alone a mainstream issue until 2016.  The people directly involved were quietly getting on with establishing legal rights, providing medical care and regulating sport until [left as an exercise for the reader] decided it would be a useful element in a culture war.

And the thing about culture wars is that they provide an easy way to get your name in the papers with "$celebrity expresses opinion".  And since the existence of trans people is now being framed as an attack on women's rights, that means every female celebrity is now entitled to an opinion, no matter how ill-informed.

« Reply #5461 on: 22 March, 2022, 12:44:53 pm »
Well yes, but that's not what he says in the article.

Quite. The headline is clickbait.

Coe is head of World Athletics, and has overseen changes in regulations that permit transgender people to compete.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #5462 on: 22 March, 2022, 02:57:37 pm »
The thing about the culture war is that both sides seem similarly eager to join up. It's a righteous crusade on either side and there can be no weakness, no acknowledgement, no compromise, even thinking such a thing is moral weakness.

I'd agree a terrible headline, but a perfectly sensible comment about sensible, evidence-based regulation than enables people to compete fairly.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5463 on: 22 March, 2022, 03:33:02 pm »
All the members of the Gammonariat who think Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe should smile prettily for the cameras and express her undying gratitude to BRITAIN for springing her from chokey rather than being an assertive and pissed-off non-white woman saying harsh things about successive FOREIGN Secretaries, especially Bloody Stupid Johnson, can fuck the fuck off, and then do it again.

« Reply #5464 on: 22 March, 2022, 03:56:50 pm »
The thing about the culture war is that both sides seem similarly eager to join up. It's a righteous crusade on either side and there can be no weakness, no acknowledgement, no compromise, even thinking such a thing is moral weakness.

I'd agree a terrible headline, but a perfectly sensible comment about sensible, evidence-based regulation than enables people to compete fairly.

The thing about the "culture war" is the eagerness for folk to throw anything in as part of it just because they are ideologically opposed to it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5465 on: 22 March, 2022, 06:10:15 pm »

That's by design, I think.  Attack a precarious minority with decades of experience campaigning for equality, and they've got two options:  a) meekly accept their vilification and consequential erosion of their human rights  or  b) fight tooth and nail.  The LGBT community is acutely aware of how they were treated for most of the 20th century, and what sort of tactics won them the rights and acceptance they had in the UK in 2016.

...Which plays right into the culture war when the media's idea of balance is to two-sides everything, and sensationalism always wins.  So "We just want to pee without being harassed" starts to look like a righteous crusade, rather than a perfectly reasonable position.

Agreed.

« Reply #5466 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:01:54 am »
I see republican moderate and all round thoroughly nice chap Governor Ron DeSantis has contributed his usual measured and reasoned two cents to the transgender participants in sport debate.

« Reply #5467 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:33:26 am »
Oh, and I see that the tenacious and scrupulously neutral journalist Allison Pearson has weighed in too.  Good to see the debate being played out in such a balanced and thoughtful way in public.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5468 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:48:18 am »
Everyone's favourite fascist rabble-rousing shit-stirrer. Again.

Tommy Robinson has failed to appear at the High Court for questioning over his finances after losing a libel case brought against him by a teenager.

The English Defence League founder, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was due to appear on Tuesday in connection with unpaid legal bills...

...Speaking on Tuesday, Judge John Dagnall found Robinson knew "perfectly well" that he was due to attend court and had emailed the court asking for his hearing to be adjourned.

"It seems to me at first sight a classic situation where he has decided not to attend," he said.

Judge Dagnall said that "all I can do" is refer Robinson's non-attendance to a High Court judge, adding: "They may, if he or she chooses to do so, hold Mr Yaxley-Lennon in contempt."...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-60841114

Expect the Twattersphere to be full of the "WHy is U PIcKinG on ARE TOMMEH?" morons very shortly.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5469 on: 23 March, 2022, 11:23:15 am »
If Tiny Tommeh Ten-Names had learned anything from his long, varied and notably unsuccessful criminal career it would surely be to turn up to court at the appointed time.  However, learning appears to be beyond his ken, the thick fuck.

« Reply #5470 on: 23 March, 2022, 11:41:09 am »
He’s been successful enough to get filthy rich.  Hopefully he won’t get to keep it. 
Probably hoping a short prison sentence will get the contributions rolling in from the knuckle draggers & dodgy media outfits again.

https://hopenothate.org.uk/2022/03/22/tommy-two-homes-hope-not-hate-reveal-another-property-linked-to-tommy-robinson/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5471 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:23:05 pm »
Rishi Sunak is an utter shit*.

*Apologies to shit.

« Reply #5472 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:39:04 pm »

« Reply #5473 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:48:31 pm »
I think we are all so jaded by BJ that we don't bother . . .

However, him gurning and laughing as Sunak talked about people suffering in Ukraine is a new low, even for BJ.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5474 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:55:19 pm »
peter hebblethwaite of P&O ferries talking about the sacking of the staff today in front of a Commons committee