General Category > The Knowledge

Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE

<< < (25/26) > >>

Nemosengineer:
Astral Radiant (Rolf Prima) 700C rims, mounting 700X25 Schwalbe Pro One TT TLE tires., in a tubeless configuration, new wheels, new tires.
Tires install on rims with thumb pressure, lube and air compressor was required to seat beads (beads fully seated at 85 psi), sealant was filled through presta valve.
Ease of installation 7.5 out of 10.
Comparable to Mavic Open Pro and Vittoria Corsa G2 with exception that the Vittoria beads seat first time everytime, 9.5 out of 10.
: Mike

imajez:

--- Quote from: vorsprung on 12 August, 2018, 10:14:41 am ---That might well be a tubeless ready tyre
All tubeless compatible tyres have an insanely tight bead
I think that it is normal to have to use tyre levers and a bead jack to get even the first bead on for this type of tyre
On my tubeless bike when I do the long rides I carry a tyre jack

--- End quote ---
Except many tubeless tyres I fit by hand no problem and the very worst I've come across was a tubed tyres on Mavic rims.

Something that has not been mentioned about ease of fitting and it's a biggie, is temperature. Had a sod of a tyre a while back where I just couldn't get last part of second bead on. Left it in sun on a hot day before attempting it again and on it went. It wasn't warm when I was outside on initial attempts.

Also many hard to fit tyres have subsequently been much easier to get off and refit after being mounted on rim.

rogerzilla:
Schwalbe One Brompton tyres on Sun CR18 16" rims are a combination few people will ever see, but it is a swine.  Like most new folding tyres, the Schwalbes are a bit small.  Also, CR18 rims have no real "well" as they are a straight box section.

Even the first bead couldn't be fitted by hand, which is a first for me.

The special VAR tyre lever got them on safely.  I expect they will be pretty easy once they've been on the rim for a fortnight.  Kevlar beads always stretch plastically. 

rogerzilla:
Ok, it's the rims, not the tyres.  A set of steel beaded Stelvios were just as tight, needing the VAR lever again.  Looks as if the 16" Sun CR18 causes problems for a lot of people.  It's the shape of the rim channel that's the problem.

SpaceBadger:
Rims: DT Swiss R470

Tyres: Vittoria Corsa Control 28mm - tight but acceptable, difficulty 6/10

Tyres: Continental GP4000 25mm - very tight, swearing required and would not want to attempt at the roadside, difficulty 8.5/10

Tyres: Continental GP5000 28mm (not TR) - impossible without breaking the laws of physics. Patience, sense of humour and shit lost in an epic way. Defeated. Difficulty 11/10

All tyres were brand new at time of the experiment.

SpaceBadger et al, 2023.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version