Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718048 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #25 on: 24 August, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »
Hmm... Margaretting Tye ... Wednesday...

It's a good pub, or at least, years ago, when I last went in there, it was. I believe the locals call Margaretting Tye "Tiger's Island" for some unknown reason. It's certainly a lovely downhill run from Stock. I suppose that must be a round trip from Southend of about 50 miles.

There are a number of stories as to why it is locally known as "Tiger's Island". Probably the most reasonable would refer to local drug dealers there. If you wanted to score some class A, B or C drugs -  the pub in question would be your best bet. A short drive, or even a bike ride from nearby towns and villages is easily possible. And there were never too many coppers around either. I know this from experience  :P

I agree that the downhill from stock is a glorious stretch of road. Twats in massive 4x4s do need to be considered though!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #26 on: 24 August, 2009, 08:32:35 pm »
According to the pub's site, their own "official" version of the derivation is this:-

"The 'Island' derived from the fact that when the river Wid flooded and the water rose it never quite reached as high as the pub. The 'Tigers' were the railway builders last century who got dressed up to visit the pub each weekend, and sometimes resolved their disputes in the pub precincts!"

It's highly rated by the Chelmsford CAMRA branch who have voted it regional pub of the year a couple of times recently.  {EDIT: Winner in 2007 and 2008 and runner up in 2009 (pdf) }

It's probably at least 3 years since I last went in (for a saturday lunch with the family IIRC).  I've ridden to/past a couple of times lately and it looks to have been seriously smartened up since I last remember it.  The beer garden looks very inviting - hope the weather is up to that.

Cheers,
Mark
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2009, 08:47:59 pm »
See you at Witham station at 18:30  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #28 on: 25 August, 2009, 09:30:41 am »
Splendid. Have a good ride!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 25 August, 2009, 10:51:52 am »
OK, I'll do this one. I'll cycle over from Braintree after work and head for Chelmsford after the pub. :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #30 on: 25 August, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
OK, I'll do this one. I'll cycle over from Braintree after work and head for Chelmsford after the pub. :thumbsup:

Cool - see you tomorrow then :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #31 on: 26 August, 2009, 08:06:33 am »
Recce'd this last night (mostly for my proposed return leg to Witham, which I hadn't ridden before - I've done the outward leg a couple of times).

There's one road that's marked as closed (in Hatfield Peveral) but is actually pefectly passable by bike.  It also looks like they might be finally thinking about fixing the terrible road surface at the top of North Hill - there is evidence of road works and a 15mph speed limit (which I obviously kept slavishly to  ::-) ).

I stopped in the White Hart for a pint of Oscar Wilde on the way round - very tasty it was too.  The pub is very pleasant, with 7 real ales listed:  Two from Suffolk: Adnams Best and Broadside, three from Essex: Mighty Oak ??? IPA and Oscar Wilde and one from Red Fox brewery in Coggeshall, and two others (Keltek brewery "Trevitihick's revenge" and one other golden ale which I don't remember the brewery or name of)

« Reply #32 on: 26 August, 2009, 08:08:40 am »
There's one road that's marked as closed (in Hatfield Peveral) but is actually pefectly passable by bike.  It also looks like they might be finally thinking about fixing the terrible road surface at the top of North Hill - there is evidence of road works and a 15mph speed limit (which I obviously kept slavishly to  ::-) ).
They be messing with the elektrissy tubes but not the road surface.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #33 on: 26 August, 2009, 08:34:09 am »
They be messing with the elektrissy tubes but not the road surface.

Hrumph  >:( the surface will probably get worse in that case.  :(

« Reply #34 on: 26 August, 2009, 02:26:04 pm »
Any more takers then, for this inaugural ride of the series? 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »
Del and I will be travelling in convoy from about 6.30.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »
If I do come along, I'll probably just go straight to the pub. But I'm undecided......

« Reply #37 on: 26 August, 2009, 03:25:53 pm »
Come on bobb - you need to get your legs in gear and revved up for Friday's ride to Mildenhall. :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #38 on: 26 August, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »
Come on bobb ... enquiring minds need to check what happens to your cranks when your bike wheels backwards ;-)  (Unless you've fitted a Shimano freehub since the thread in question).  :demon:

« Reply #39 on: 26 August, 2009, 06:22:34 pm »
I'd make sure I came on fixed  :P

I'm gunna give this one a miss. For a start, the weather looks nasty and I have some fine looking pork chops to cook.

I will definitely be in attendance on other MEMWNS rides in the future though....

« Reply #40 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:48:38 pm »
lovely night, nice to meet some new people from here  :thumbsup:

Now to find a towel to dry off with   :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #41 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:52:30 am »
Just got in, 40 miles and several new varieties of beer better off. Good to meet Chief, as well as the old droogies from previous nights of debauchery.

Del and I seemed to be riding ni the rain all the way home, but rarely was the road wet.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #42 on: 27 August, 2009, 07:11:19 am »
Well done chaps. It rained in the night here as well. We're now on our way to the Dordogne.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #43 on: 27 August, 2009, 07:57:40 am »
It was a very pleasant evening. 

In the end Tokamak, chief and I rode over via a hybrid of the out and back routes posted above, to maximise the scenery.

Several (I lost count!) pints were had, of various types (I had the Keltek Trevithick's Revenge, the Mighty Oak IPA, the Oscar Wilde and a few Red Fox Coggeshall Golds).

En-route back, I followed Tokamak and chief as far as the outskirts of Sandon, then parted company to make my way back to Witham.  I think I missed the obvious route (reversal of the outward leg above) and instead ended up on Sporhams lane, a smaller quieter road, with a ford.

I then must've nearly broken the record for the slowest descent of North hill ever.

Bouyed by the excitement of one ford, I decided to tackle a second and varied my route back from papermill lock to take me through the Nounsley one (famous for it's "slimed bottom", as pointed out by nutty).

Needless to say, despite coasting through in a straight line, making no sudden moves whatsoever, I fell foul of nutty's slimed bottom and landed in the water.  At least I'd already been soaked through from the rain, so didn't mind the dunking so much.

All told, a spit over 40 miles by the time I squelched my way back home.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #44 on: 27 August, 2009, 08:03:31 am »

Much laughter from the A9 near Nimes on learning of Mr O's swim. I didn't think the cycling not drinking concept would last long.  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #45 on: 27 August, 2009, 08:59:54 am »

Much laughter from the A9 near Nimes on learning of Mr O's swim. I didn't think the cycling not drinking concept would last long.  ;D

Nobody mentioned "not drinking  :o".  I'm sure the brief was "more miles, fewer pubs" which I thought we kept to admirably.   :)

« Reply #46 on: 27 August, 2009, 09:05:36 am »
That was good and all the boxes ticked. Mid Essex, check, Mid Week, check, Nocturnal, check.
Some good beer, some good company, and a jolly good ride, despite the howling winds and torrential rains  ::-), to and from the pub.  :thumbsup:

Here is what you're waiting for, Clicky!

« Reply #47 on: 27 August, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
The wind was a right bugger. First of all I'd forgot how the route from Braintree to Witham through the Notleys is pretty lumpy, not a big issue in itself but with the bastard wind all over the place it was quite hard work, also the road surface was pretty bad and there was a lot of traffic at that time (between 6 and 6.30). Then I must have missed a turn near Witham because instead of popping out near the train station as I had envisaged, I found myself at the other end of the town and having to contend with a load of nobbing traffic to get to the station to meet the others. So, not the best start to the evening's ride. After the three of us set off from Witham the rain started to come down a bit harder, it was never really bad but with the wind, it made for pretty shitty riding conditions. Anyway, we covered some familiar roads through Hatfield Peverel, Little Baddow, Danbury, The Hanningfield's, Stock and eventually Margaretting tye and the pub! The pub has been ponced up a bit since I was last in it a year or so ago - it's pretty much been converted into a restaurant now, and was quite busy for a Wednesday with diners. The beer selection was good though, and I had several of the Red Fox brewery Coggeshall Gold, which was rather tasty! The ride back home was much more enjoyable - perhaps because the roads were quieter, and perhaps because of the beer I had consumed! ;) Got home some time after 11, had my dinner at 11:30 and then went to bed. I think Oscar's dad should be pleased that we carried out his intentions for this ride pretty faithfully. And I look forward to the next one. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #48 on: 27 August, 2009, 10:36:52 am »
It was lovely to see a door with the words "Tap Room" painted on it in an ornate style, and every time the barmaid opened the door, there they were: serried ranks of barrels lying on their sides, just oozing to release their issue for the thirsty cyclist.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #49 on: 27 August, 2009, 10:48:05 am »
... I think I missed the obvious route (reversal of the outward leg above) and instead ended up on Sporhams lane, a smaller quieter road, with a ford.

I do remember thinking as I rolled downhill to the ford .. "

Bouyed by the excitement of one ford, I decided to tackle a second and varied my route back from papermill lock to take me through the Nounsley one (famous for it's "slimed bottom", as pointed out by nutty).

Needless to say, despite coasting through in a straight line, making no sudden moves whatsoever, I fell foul of nutty's slimed bottom and landed in the water.  At least I'd already been soaked through from the rain, so didn't mind the dunking so much.

There's one further detail I didn't mention earlier, but will do now seeing as it has a happy ending after all...

When I picked myself up from the river, dusted myself off and inspected the bike I remember thinking that I came off very lightly indeed - a bit of pond weed on the left pedal and a bruise on my left hip.

It was about 40 yards up the road that I realised I was no longer wearing my wedding ring!  :o :'( :-[ :-[

I spent the next 45 minutes or so squelching up and down the ford conducting a fingertip search of the area (there's an impressive scrape in the slime cover from the pedal, BTW), to no avail, then set off home, wondering if that was where I lost it after all - I started to think that maybe it came off in the pub when I took my mitts off (a quick perusal of del's photos confirms that wasn't the case).

We returned to the ford this morning, and between myself, Mrs O. and the little O's managed to find it.  :thumbsup: :D

What is really embarassing about the incident is that I know the ring is a bit loose and have been meaning to get it resized for a while now so I usually take it off before rides - I only didn't do so this time because my new mitts tend to hold on to it quite well - I forgot that I had decided to wear the old mitts for that ride owing to the new ones being over-padded and giving me pins and needles  :-[