Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813280 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #900 on: 24 June, 2008, 10:42:22 pm »
Just done a Barling Loop on the tandem in under 1h 30m! 10.98 mph - certainly the fastest this year and maybe the fastest ever! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #901 on: 25 June, 2008, 03:25:16 pm »
Yep - first ride for a few weeks.  :D

Great weather but a stronger breeze than expected. Just did a 28 mile loop, so nothing special, but that is following a week where I had a rather nasty cold.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #902 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »
8 miles of commuting. Windy!

bobajobrob

« Reply #903 on: 27 June, 2008, 01:38:01 pm »
A hilly 60k last night with the CTC from Cheltenham to Oakridge (near Stroud) and back. It was spitting when we started, raining when we got to the pub and chucking it down when we left. I got rather wet. Was wearing my montane featherlite velo jacket on the way back with an endura gilet over the top, which kept me nice and warm.

24k of commuting today. I had a westerly headwind on the way to work and was struggling to reach 30kmph.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #904 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:43:29 pm »
20 miles or so in my lunchbreak around Gargrave ,West Marton Bar'lick and Thornton.I wore full gloves it was so cool.

« Reply #905 on: 27 June, 2008, 06:01:44 pm »
Sat on a train most of the day from Hampshire up to Edinburgh with the Brommie.

Brommied two hours around the city and now off for a pint or two or three  ;D

« Reply #906 on: 28 June, 2008, 12:34:41 pm »
A ride along the river with Gabrielle with me on the Thorn and E on the Dahon. Lovely.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #907 on: 28 June, 2008, 02:19:33 pm »
Go-Ride club with Daughter1. 7miles. Coached the younger ones.

vince

« Reply #908 on: 28 June, 2008, 04:10:26 pm »
60 miles pootling about Norfolk this week whilst my friends were boating. Respect to those of you who regularly deal with those headwinds.

I forgot my camera again, but here are a couple I took with my phone on the Reedham Ferry:

Beautiful weather, the rides only marred by trashing my gear cable by putting it inside the seat stay when I refitted my gear hanger  ::-)

« Reply #909 on: 28 June, 2008, 04:53:34 pm »
Just a gentle 20 or so miles, cycling around Croydon and Wimbledon collecting parcels from DHL and the Post Office, both in opposite directions to each other of course!  That was followed by popping the trailer on so I could collect some food from Sainburys, and have the makings for lunch and coffee.
Actually, it is rocket science.

gordon taylor

« Reply #910 on: 28 June, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
74 miles on the Longstaff WITH GEARS!!!Woosh! Don't they go fast with all those jaggy clicky things on the rear wheel?

« Reply #911 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:14:02 pm »
36 miles to Holmfirth and back to man the control on the Midlands Super Grimpeur 300

« Reply #912 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »
Yep.
75+ miles or so, Greenwich to Whitstable with a brace of compadres, including a bit of d*ck*ng about in Rainham whilst one of our company sought a replacement tyre vendor.
Well done Victory Cycles, Rainham.
Arrived for refreshment at the Sportsman in Seasalter after around 6 hours.
The remainder of the ride was, ahem, relaxed.  ;)
Probably a little too much sun, but saveloy, chips and a gherkin on Whitstable beach were sublime before the train home.
My thanks to Alan and Ray for their company.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #913 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:47:48 am »
I shall be setting off shortly for a CTC Sunday ride, which will involve a café, a pub and, hopefully, about 60 gently sunny miles.

« Reply #914 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:05:40 am »

A flat Mesh 200 to rescue my RRTY. Glad to get round, but sorry to be missing the multitude of fine Audaxes this weekend, and the YACF Swindon Ride (again).

« Reply #915 on: 29 June, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
A rather solid 3-hr ride with Julian et al. We worked well as a small group (of 4) although our German colleagues couldn't take their turns at the front on the flat on the first part of the ride as we were maintaining a healthy 23+Mi/h, in spite of some wind in some sections. To be fair, one of them had run for 3 hours the day before; the other 3 of us had just been eating too much There were hills too: Two servings in Ticknall as we looped it twice, one in Calke Abbey and before that we had taken the hill through Castle Donnington. I did well on the latter, okay on the first round of Ticknall but struggled the second time around -- I like hills but in a strange way, as I am not very good on them. I was happy when we returned to the flat land; I am a rouleur of sort.

A great time out; a lot of play and as much fun. The bonus point was that we were all back home for 11:30ish and our respective partners and spouses must have been happy for once!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #916 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:02:26 pm »
Out with the club. About 70Miles worth. Nice ride despite being a bit windy and wet at times.

Route: Lancaster, Carnforth, Silverdale, Storth, Levens, Lindale, Ayside, Cartmel, Grange-Over-Sands, Meathop, Heversham, Milnthorpe, Beetham, Holme, Hale, Priest Hutton, Over Kellet, Nether Kellet and Lancaster. 

alan

« Reply #917 on: 29 June, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
Emily wanted to go out on the tandem so we did :thumbsup:
About 10 miles fuelled by ice cream,laughing & singing. I think the singing brought on the rain just as we were literally two minutes from home.

A delightfull 90 mins with my grand-daughter 8)

ronstrutt

« Reply #918 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:14:49 pm »
Took part in the Guildford Bikeathon. I like to support these events, not only because they raise money for good causes but also because they encourage people to get out and get cycling.

In the event I did the course once (23 miles) then did it again with variations to bring the total 'mileage' up to 100km.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #919 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »
I shall be setting off shortly for a CTC Sunday ride, which will involve a café, a pub and, hopefully, about 60 gently sunny miles.

I'm back after wonderful ride in which we visited a café where I sat under the biggest fig tree I've ever seen - it was at least 40 feet high and the trunk must have been 18 inches in diameter at ground level. It was also dropping figs on people! We visited a pub on the banks of the River Blackwater which, for an Essex river, was very clear and swift, and had ducks and ducklings and a pair of swans with 8 cygnets. Then at Maldon the ride split and two of us headed for Burnham and the ferry, where we were obliged to wait and that meant drinking 2 more pints of beer. Shortly before reaching Southend we were reunited with the rest of the group who had probably ridden 15 miles more but spent £11 less.

Just over 70 miles at 12 mph.

« Reply #920 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »
About 74 miles including Mother Shiptons 100 from Easingwold

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #921 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:38:36 pm »
Mepal to Sandringham for a picnic with Mrs T.  Tail wind all the way which probaly accounts for the 3 hour time !

Lovely ride.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #922 on: 30 June, 2008, 12:20:52 am »
Popped down  to meet my brother and ride with him on a circular route from Brockenhurst.

I managed to get the ferry over from Hythe as I thought this would avoid the headwind. Nice as it was, I was wrong.

Still a lovely ride, fine beer and some lovely countryside.

THe route back went astray and I ended up diverting off the Cabnam road through Bartley.

A good night to be out nonetheless.

H

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #923 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:18:10 am »
Saturday I sailed on a friend's racing yacht from Swansea to Cardiff Bay with a following breeze  :thumbsup:

Sunday, a 50 miler around the Vale mainly into the breeze that, the day before was only a help, turned the ride into a grind. The short route back was mostly 20+mph.

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #924 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:17:28 am »
Around forty miles yesterday with E. We went out along back roads through Greenford, Northolt and Ruislip to Harefield. Then down into the Colne Valley to West Hyde and The Oaks pub. On the way we had to weave through a queue of traffic waiting behind two police cars with blue lights flashing. The coppers were kicking rubbish into the gutter. It was mostly magazines and paper, but there was a lot of gravel and muck, as if something had hit the verge and bounced off.

A sign of the times, the pub had a sign up saying it couldn't take any credit cards. The food was edible, but no more. Still, the alternative would have been the Coy Carp — the name says it all.

It threatened to rain as we continued south along the old road and through Denham Green, then looped back to Harefield and through Ruislip. At Northolt village we doubled back and got on to the canal towpath. Under the A40 we turned on to a patch of open space covered in vetches flowering in blues and yellows. It is criss-crossed by a network of gravel paths.

We continued through Greenford, Dormer's Wells and back to Ealing, then past Northfields to visit E's mother at the Care Centre. The sight of us in lycra seemed to shock some of the care workers. The residents took it in their stride.

Then back home.