Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471333 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Arrivée est arrivé!
« on: 04 August, 2008, 12:31:54 pm »
The Summer issue of Arrivée plopped onto my doormat this morning. WOW! Content-packed. Lovely article by Jasmine.
I didn't know there was an LEL run in 2007 though...

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:35:42 pm »
Gah!

The day I'm at home feeling like crap and all I get is a letter from HMRC.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2008, 06:05:05 pm »
Its bigger than usual,60 pages.Is this the biggest Arrivee yet ? Just had a flick through,loads of interesting articles too. :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2008, 10:03:05 pm »
I feel like I'm a real member of the AUK community this week - I took 40 winks in a shop doorway on a ride this weekend and my photo is on page 43 of Arrivee  :thumbsup:

RJMcB

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »
Phew - escaped the photo-shoots again  :thumbsup:.

Off to the bog for a read.

Edit: On second thoughts, I really don't like how that sounds...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »
And Damerell (of this parish and urc) has a good write up of his time on the Rural South.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »
I feel like I'm a real member of the AUK community this week - I took 40 winks in a shop doorway on a ride this weekend and my photo is on page 43 of Arrivee  :thumbsup:

RJMcB

I make my Arrivee photo debut  :-X

But no doorways as yet....well not for sleeping in anyway - I'll have to be a bit more careful when 'making use' of doorways in future  :sick: ;D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2008, 10:34:42 pm »
Spotted the first rider mis-ID on the second photo in the mag; "Peter Finch" is in fact my old boss Geoff

Not sure what the El Supremo letter is about (and I don't have the luxury of being able to turn away EOL's on my event)

Don't forget to keep your AUK dinner booking form (typical; I'd just sent an entry form to Pam about 10mins before it hit the doormat)

I spotted that too, Geoff Ericsson rides a lot of my events.

The other unidentified rider on my Invicta 400 is Brian Matkins
"Don't stop pedalling"

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »
RJMcB,  I saw the lovely photee.  You'd right on a couple of counts, but to be a full AUK veteran, on our next ride you'll have to fill your bottle from a ditch, wear a bread bag when it rains and have a ready supply of 2-4-1 little chef vouchers  ;D

I'm sad though, cos i'm not in it - last issue I managed 2 pics :(

frere yacker

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:01:32 am »
As far as I can tell, the comments about AUK insurance on page 4 were fundamental...

Rob

« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:10:01 am »
This isn't fair.   I'm not back at home until tomorrow night.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:15:13 am »
This isn't fair.   I'm not back at home until tomorrow night.

ditto (1am Thursday morning)

The Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:32:07 am »
Miffed!  :( Two rides mentioned in which I participated and not a pic of me in sight

Probably due to the fact that I am so far back that the photo fiends have long gone home by the time I get there.

« Reply #13 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:02:15 am »
The Summer issue of Arrivée plopped onto my doormat this morning.

.....with the Gas bill !!!

frere yacker

« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:11:15 am »
Miffed!  :( Two rides mentioned in which I participated and not a pic of me in sight

Probably due to the fact that I am so far back that the photo fiends have long gone home by the time I get there.

Maybe your not the right image for the magazine?  Are you younger than 30, cleanly shaven and kitted out in the most fashionable cycling attire?  If so, you probably got red penned  :P

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:49:19 am »
Mine en't arrived either :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #16 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:50:39 am »
I've only had the chance to read as far as the letters page, but the "PBP Egos" letter has to be a piss-take, right?

:-\

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:59:11 am »
I've only had the chance to read as far as the letters page, but the "PBP Egos" letter has to be a piss-take, right?

:-\

Doubt it.

The author's a pretty decent bloke, and I think he's just being careful to distance himself and his clubmates from some of the things said in that PBP article in the last issue.

I can see where he's coming from, but of course it does draw further attention to it...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:04:28 am »
I can't remember the article in question containing anything worthy of such distancing.  Maybe I didn't read it closely enough.

I understand the frustration some riders felt with others having a full-on race support vehicle stopping at every control, but the author (decent bloke or not) thought any support was not only wanton cheating but that riders should have gone out of their way to make supporters' lives difficult.  Shades of Sophie Days and her Thousand Mile Shorts!1  :o

1Presumably like Hundred Year Eggs but smellier.

The Mechanic

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:28:52 am »
Maybe your not the right image for the magazine?  Are you younger than 30, cleanly shaven and kitted out in the most fashionable cycling attire?  If so, you probably got red penned 

I wish!  More like 50 odd, pot bellied and never shave before a ride (a la TdF)

« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:50:30 am »
As far as I can tell, the comments about AUK insurance on page 4 were fundamental...

Page 2 in my copy but I'm confused as to what the real problem is as the article seems to contradict itself. "Almost all the incidents are on BP events and the majority relate to temporary members" is followed by "some members assume that the .... insurance cover will pay out .... whatever the circumstances " and "some members .... feel they need to make a claim however spurious the circumstances".

So, what's the real problem, members or temporary members?

Is this article in a members newsletter intended to alert the members to a problem caused by temporary members or to encourage members to change their ways?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:02:53 am »

Page 2 in my copy but I'm confused as to what the real problem is as the article seems to contradict itself. "Almost all the incidents are on BP events and the majority relate to temporary members" is followed by "some members assume that the .... insurance cover will pay out .... whatever the circumstances " and "some members .... feel they need to make a claim however spurious the circumstances".

Is this article in a members newsletter intended to alert the members to a problem caused by temporary members or to encourage members to change their ways?
I think the intention was the former "...alert the members to a problem caused by temporary members "
(The section you quote was just badly worded, probably due to a very worried author.)

Anyway, there seems to be an obvious solution which wasn't mentioned:
A SEPARATE insurance scheme for non-members. Or did I miss that ... ?
Or perhaps a compulsory excess for non-members?

Maybe the one positive action we can take away is to endeavour to ... errr... "guide" our new non-member friends on future rides, so that the number of these incidents is reduced.

(Or just tell these trouble-makers to sod off - couldn't we just turn away anyone that looks a bit quick or doesn't have a route-sheet holder? Perhaps membership should require 2 nominations by SR-holders? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:19:46 am »

A bit of both surely, though the article does say its mostly a temporary member/BP phenomena. Hopefully regular/experienced riders will be more on the ball, er, bike. An extremely useful piece of communication, I thought.

For most cyclists, Audax is only a fraction of their mileage. Regular riders should look for insurance to cover all their riding, which for most of us means joining the CTC.

« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2008, 11:28:47 am »
I saw it as a warning that it might be soon that the insurance for riders gets pulled, and therefore regular AUKs who ride should consider obtaining their own insurance.  This would be a good idea anyway since the article clearly commented that riders are only covered whilst on the event, not whilst riding to it, home from it, or once they'd abandoned; did everybody actually know that or were they assuming they were covered on Audax day from the point they left home?

bikenerd

« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2008, 12:20:16 pm »
How realistic would it be to close rides to non-members?  The £15 joining fee isn't exactly expensive*.  I understand that a counter argument would be that you don't want to discourage new members by not allowing them a taster before they join.
Joining fee with a refund if not into it after one ride?  Too much admin?

* To me, obviously.  But even then, it's only a fraction of the amount of money most people spend on a bike.  Or down the pub.