Author Topic: Intense weekend  (Read 9737 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Intense weekend
« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »
<... watches tumbleweed blow by whilst we all fail to think of anything appropriate to say after that lot ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #26 on: 01 February, 2010, 05:34:26 pm »
yebbut they are nutters  :)

'They' ?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #27 on: 01 February, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »
Crikey Matt, that's epic.

I'd be trying to persuade the reunion to reunify in July...

« Reply #28 on: 01 February, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »
That is a brilliant effort  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 01 February, 2010, 06:25:18 pm »
That's good going :thumbsup:
Those cold winter miles are extra tough. That's why did as few as I could get away with when points chasing. They wear you right down. Two 400s with a day inbetween at this time of year takes a fair bit of doing. I wouldn't want to be out on a bike that I'm doubtfull whether it's up to the ride either, especially somewhere like Wales.
I avoid the A55. It's like a lot of these unofficail motorways. I get hooted at when on the A1 sometimes even when it's quiet, not that I use it very often. I wouldn't worry about it.
Maybe you should carry an A-Z glovebox sized road atlas of Britain as I do. They only cost £6 and fit into a saddlebag. Handy for ad-hoc route planning and finding out where the hell I've gotten myself to this time, especially as it has an index.

Good ride though :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
I wouldn't want to be out on a bike that I'm doubtfull whether it's up to the ride either, especially somewhere like Wales.
I thought it was OK  :( I'd done a load of fettling a week before I set off, new transmission bits, brakes etc. I'd never had a murmur from the wheels, I just knew the rims were wearing but weren't too bad.
To mitigate against potential disasters I always take a bivvy bag/sleeping bag on rides like this, and with relatives in Birmingham and friends in Bangor I'm never more than 50 miles from someone who'll come out with a big car if needed.

Maybe you should carry an A-Z glovebox sized road atlas of Britain as I do.

I have a sacrificial road atlas here where I rip out the pages for the areas I'm riding in - normally it is only a couple of pages, which fold up small into a plastic bag in a pocket. I didn't bother on this as I know the roads  :(

« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »
yebbut they are nutters  :)

'They' ?

Yes, the ones who do stupid things. I just go out for a bike ride  :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #32 on: 02 February, 2010, 11:55:24 am »
Yes, the ones who do stupid things. I just go out for a bike ride  :)
Remind me...never to go out with you ;D

Good effort :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

mikewigley

Re: Intense weekend revisited
« Reply #33 on: 03 February, 2010, 07:31:12 pm »
I've got a new Perm (and a Calendar event in 2011) which involves riding from Connah's Quay to Bangor and back.  It's possible to avoid the A55 entirely, which is something you would definitely want to do on a bike.  I find the quiet roads alongside, and certain bits of cycleway, are OK and you can make good progress on them.

The stretch along the coast from Llandulas to Colwyn Bay saves the climb through old Colwyn, and the only hazard to avoid are the leisure cyclists - that and the sudden extremely steep (but short) climb and descent which come as a real surprise.

I couldn't believe what happens at the Rhos on Sea end, where the cycleway just stops, with no drop curb to get back on the road, and no parking restriction to stop motorists parking right across the end of the path.  But hey, these local authorities aren't to know we need such things.

Those new bridges at Pen-y-clip are ok (at £1million a piece they should be), but the housing estate at the Llanfairfechen end seems unnecessary but sadly unavoidable.  My Audax route goes over Sychnant Pass in a westerly direction but uses the old Telford tunnel when returning.  Now that part of the cycle facilities is really poor - a narrow footpath, some sharp corners crossing a rail bridge, and 70mph traffic a wing mirror away.

The A55 is a perfect example of a motorway built on the cheap, with non-motorway traffic having to do the best they can.  It's taken years but I think the cycle access along the North Wales coast is a viable option, and it's quite an adventure in finding your way but I hope my route sheet will be up to the task.

So that's the LlanfairPG 400 from Stockport to Holyhead and back

« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:08:34 am »
I used to ride from Oldham to Conwy/Bangor/Anglesey back in the 1980s. Back then I used to take the coast road going via Flint, Prestatyn, Rhyl etc. The thing I really remember about that road is that there is one section (Ffynnonygroyw?) that always has a headwind, whichever direction you are riding in. At the weekend it was a toss up which to take - as I'm quite happy doing a main road blast normally I went for the A55 this time.

I was living in Bangor when they were building the new tunnels - I remember signing the petition in the LBS complaining about the provision for cyclists - at that point the only route for cyclists was the Sychnant Pass, which wasn't ideal for any but the fittest. One of my great cycling achievements back then was the day I managed to ride up there non-stop  :) Not sure I'd want to do it in the middle of a 400, but having said that I've not tried it for 20 years so maybe it's not as bad as I remember.

I might be up for your calendar event to relive some of those old days  :thumbsup:

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #35 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:29:44 am »
Top effort Matt! Having ridden with you a few times I think you are cast very much in the vein of John Spooner. Not the quickest out there (but by no means slow), but you never ever stop.... just keep going and going...  :) and, like Mr Spooner, a thoroughly decent chap to boot!

Look forward to riding with you again some point this year!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 05 February, 2010, 06:38:17 pm »
Thanks Scott. Hope your knee is recovered OK after LEL, looking forward to seeing you on the road.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:01:08 pm »
Who is this man they call John Spooner? Have I ever knowingly touched his greatness?

As for MattH, he is a strong wheelman that you would be happy standing foreskin to foreskin in the Gents of life we call 'Audax'. H

« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »
he is a strong wheelman that you would be happy standing foreskin to foreskin in the Gents of life we call 'Audax'.

Caution is required when doing this with grimpeurs - there is a significant risk of contracting climbidia.

It reminds me of my out-of-control descent of Cader Iris on the '04 Chapman suffering a lock-to-lock shimmy at 45 mph.  I recall thinking to myself "I'm a Gonorreah!"

« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:25:29 am »
Caution is required when doing this with grimpeurs - there is a significant risk of contracting climbidia.

It reminds me of my out-of-control descent of Cader Iris on the '04 Chapman suffering a lock-to-lock shimmy at 45 mph.  I recall thinking to myself "I'm a Gonorreah!"

*clap*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."