Author Topic: Coronavirus and Audax  (Read 90123 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Coronavirus and Audax
« Reply #525 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:59:53 pm »
3-4 months for the first day with no reported cases in China? Going to be June or July before things get any better :(
5 months from initial case was predicted recently by Wellcome trust.

Don't forget that it was only as little as 3-4 months thanks to the extreme measures taken in China...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #526 on: 20 March, 2020, 01:28:25 pm »
The possible downside of that is that by infecting fewer people initially, you have a worse second wave. But we just don't know yet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #527 on: 20 March, 2020, 01:46:43 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #528 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:08:25 pm »
The possible downside of that is that by infecting fewer people initially, you have a worse second wave. But we just don't know yet.

Yes, but you buy yourself time to prepare for that second wave.

Maybe.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #529 on: 20 March, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »
It's possible the second wave will be worse in its effects simply because medical staff and facilities will be worn out. Or maybe this Japanese antiviral drug will have proven effective. Nobody knows. I expect I'll have got around to getting my hair cut by then though.

« Reply #530 on: 20 March, 2020, 03:13:25 pm »
I expect I'll have got around to getting my hair cut by then though.

This is all our futures.

No hairdressers for a year, and forced to borrow our wife's clothes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #531 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:13:10 pm »
I thought you dressed like that at the end of every 600?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #532 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
I was worried that Rapha's products would decline when they were taken over by that private equity fund. Those bib shorts prove it.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #533 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:40:15 pm »
I have never seen that before - what the feck was he thinking?

Off to scrub my mind clean
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #534 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:58:35 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #535 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:06:07 pm »
I've recorded a short film about what I think, when you lot tell me I shouldn't ride a 600 this weekend.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #536 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:11:14 pm »
I've recorded a short film about what I think, when you lot tell me I shouldn't ride a 600 this weekend.

And our reply to you matt...

https://twitter.com/JHeadspeath/status/1240947675891224576?s=20

« Reply #537 on: 21 March, 2020, 05:23:27 pm »
Up in Malham today. Quite a few cyclists about, in small groups and singles. Why not dig the audaxes?

« Reply #538 on: 21 March, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
Because there arent any.

« Reply #539 on: 21 March, 2020, 06:17:45 pm »
I have had to adjust my habits a bit faced with the ban on going further than 2km from home for any exercise. I have put some knobblies on the utility bike (once an mtb). They even fit under the guards. Close to me there is a stretch of wild public ground where I can do a circuit of 2-3kms. If it's been closed off I can always ride along the road nearby and the knobblies will increase the workload nicely.
At the rate that France is fining people for breaking the confinement rules they'll have the money for a few ventilators. At 135€ the fine I don"t plan to be an involuntary contributor!

Davef

« Reply #540 on: 21 March, 2020, 06:29:02 pm »
That is a cheaper option than buying a string of houses 4km apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #541 on: 21 March, 2020, 08:47:09 pm »

you're not allowed to use secondary residences (even if they are only 4km apart). You have to declare one address on your attestation and that's it. I think trying to dodge the issue in the current climate would give at least the "majoration" of 300€ and probably another offence somewhere along the line for perverting the course of justice or putting lives in danger. As various ministers have said, now is not the time for trying to be clever

Davef

« Reply #542 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:40:58 pm »

you're not allowed to use secondary residences (even if they are only 4km apart). You have to declare one address on your attestation and that's it. I think trying to dodge the issue in the current climate would give at least the "majoration" of 300€ and probably another offence somewhere along the line for perverting the course of justice or putting lives in danger. As various ministers have said, now is not the time for trying to be clever
Whereabouts are you ?

« Reply #543 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:53:16 pm »

Whereabouts are you ?
France, I assume.

Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Davef

« Reply #544 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:16:44 pm »

Whereabouts are you ?
France, I assume.

:-)
I was after something a bit more precise

« Reply #545 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:29:00 pm »

Whereabouts are you ?
France, I assume.

Probably 2km or less from his house...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #546 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:36:26 am »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #547 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:03:24 pm »

Whereabouts are you ?
France, I assume.

Probably 2km or less from his house...

Limoges.
I went back across the wood this morning with the bread. Not closed off but I had to share the path with 3 women walking their dogs. Given the width of the path it was a bit difficult to stay 1m apart so I tried to cross with a minimum of disturbance. One told me to be careful because cycling was banned (which it wasn't because &) it isn't on this path, although mopeds are, 2) I was exercising individually and in my "quartier", less than 2kms - probably less than 1km - from home and 3) I was on my way home after buying food). I don't suppose that she had her attestation and carte d'identité on her given the lack of pockets in her yoga pants but I wasn't going to stop to argue with her given the risk that she might be infected. If I go out that way I might well stick to the road after all - i would rather not run the risk of catching Covid-19 from a careless dog-walker. I take more care when I walk my dog!

Limoges is starting to get some cases now. I will have a better picture when my wife goes back to work in a couple of days; she is on réanimation (ICU to you).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #549 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:39:23 pm »
Food for thought - FOR ALL.