Author Topic: Results, Brevet Cards and SR medal.  (Read 11158 times)

Results, Brevet Cards and SR medal.
« on: 19 January, 2020, 11:42:41 am »
I've had the results booklet, homologated brevet card and a copy of the DVD arrive on Friday. However, there is no SR medal included. Anyone else got theirs?     
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Results, Brevet Cards and SR medal.
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2020, 04:00:17 pm »
I've had the results booklet, homologated brevet card and a copy of the DVD arrive on Friday. However, there is no SR medal included. Anyone else got theirs?   

Did you order one via AUK?
It's no longer automatic.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2020, 05:46:25 pm »
See @Diagonaliste's post (a thread now on Page 2!).
I enquired about this earlier by getting in touch with Chris Cossland (AUK Chair), he cam back with the following info;
If you've ridden the exact sequence of 200, 300, 400 and 600 km rides, you will receive an ACP Super Randonneur medal gratis with your PBP entry.
If you've ridden the exact sequence of 200, 300, 400 and 600 km rides, and would like the individual distance medals, then please complete the attached form and return to me so that I can check it and send to ACP. Note that the ACP distance medals currently cost €5.00 each, and there will be a postage cost. I will notify you of the full charge on dispatch.

I informed Chris that the SR medal is not included in PBP entry costs (and he indicated that was different to previous years) and he got back to me saying that the total cost for all will be 26€ + postage and that he is waiting to batch process the orders and get back to me when he has the medals.
Now waiting to hear further info from Chris.
Chris's email is: chair@audax.uk
Andrew.
Note: I don't know how to attach the ACP order form that Chris sent me through to this reply.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:08:31 am »
Mine didn't. But if they are arriving in UK hopefully it will come today,.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:22:36 pm »
Got my pbp brevet card and magazine today along with ACP R5000 certificate and medal from AUK chair.

What I though a bit odd was the pbp stuff was posted in Aachen.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:13:04 am »
So I'm confused, "If you've ridden the exact sequence of 200, 300, 400 and 600 km rides, you will receive an ACP Super Randonneur medal gratis with your PBP entry." implies I should have received something in addition to Brevet and mag?
Regards,

Joergen

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2020, 11:58:16 am »
So I'm confused, "If you've ridden the exact sequence of 200, 300, 400 and 600 km rides, you will receive an ACP Super Randonneur medal gratis with your PBP entry." implies I should have received something in addition to Brevet and mag?
Where does it say that? I thought it was discussed as not being included this time.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2020, 12:08:20 pm »
The confusing quote further up of Diagonaliste's post?  ???

I'm left less clear on on if it is or isn't - I can see potentially having to pay for individual distance medals though.
Regards,

Joergen

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2020, 12:52:56 pm »

I'm left less clear on on if it is or isn't - I can see potentially having to pay for individual distance medals though.
Clarified later in the same post. Previously it had been included, but not this year.

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=inscription&page=contenu_inscription

Bottom line of exclusions

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2020, 02:30:44 pm »

Clarified later in the same post. Previously it had been included, but not this year.

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=inscription&page=contenu_inscription

Bottom line of exclusions

So do we all have to drop Chris an email to request one or is there some kind of plan to resolve the batch order as inferred - I've not seen anything about it?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2020, 06:33:34 pm »
Got my pbp brevet card and magazine today along with ACP R5000 certificate and medal from AUK chair.

Did you get the R5000 certificate and medal with your PBP brevet, or separately? I was late sending my ACP R5000 claim form to the Chair so thinking I may have missed the award this year - I didn't receive anything for R5000. :(

That said, this did remind me to send off for the AUK equivalent award to R5000, Brevet 5000 to the Recorder. :thumbsup:

Nim

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2020, 07:03:58 pm »
it looks like the "a" starting group was the right choice, tidy cycling and the lowest dropout rate of just over 10%, the worst group for dnf's was "w" - almost 50%!

my brevet card looks pristine - hard to believe it's been carried for all that distance.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:27:13 pm »

Did you get the R5000 certificate and medal with your PBP brevet, or separately? I was late sending my ACP R5000 claim form to the Chair so thinking I may have missed the award this year - I didn't receive anything for R5000. :(

That said, this did remind me to send off for the AUK equivalent award to R5000, Brevet 5000 to the Recorder. :thumbsup:

Nim

Separately, the PBP stuff came from the ACP in Aachen... and the R5000 came from the chairman in Yorkshire.
That they landed on the same day is quite impressive, no SR medals yet, but then I've also not been asked for money for the medals yet either, I thought Yorkshirmen were the English Equivalent of Fifers when it comes to money so expected a bill a while back.

« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
I’m a bit confused by Chris‘s email. Is it €26 just for the SR medal?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:28:51 am »
I’m a bit confused by Chris‘s email. Is it €26 just for the SR medal?

Distance medals are 5€ each and SR medals 6€. Postage will be extra and I will bill you when I know the postage cost.
So 26 euro based off that is all 4 distance medals and the SR medal.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:50:42 am »
I didn't order or receive a ACP SR medal. Can some one tell me can I still order one and whom do I contact to place the order?

« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:27:29 am »
it looks like the "a" starting group was the right choice, tidy cycling and the lowest dropout rate of just over 10%, the worst group for dnf's was "w" - almost 50%!

my brevet card looks pristine - hard to believe it's been carried for all that distance.
Yes, with the wind reversing direction as I arrived at Brest I wished I had chosen Group A instead of Group Z! My choice was based on minimising night riding but double headwind is probably the main reason why Group Z had a 33% DNF rate. All but the faster 80 hour and fastest 90 hour starters would have been affected in the same way. Group W was the 84 hour velo speciale group with just 11 finishers out of 21 starters.
I still passed several Group A starters, the first being a French lady just after a Brest who I thought must surely be out of time but there is a Group A French lady in the results book with a time of 88:35.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:53:06 am »
Traditionally the 80hr DNF rate was much higher than the 84hr which was lower than the 90hr but PBP19 flipped this all around. Usually the 90hr velo speciale has the worst DNF rate of every start but in 2019 was pretty average and the 84hr VS DNF rate was incredibly high this time (though small numbers). I’m not entirely sure what has driven these changes. The headwind on the return was annoying and draggy but it didn’t seem to be enough to cause devastation to riders. We were in 90hr VS this time and stayed within a few hours of control closing times most of the way round, so didn’t get much tailwind.

By the way, Group A is 80hr vedette, so getting homologated in 88hrs (homologated or HD?) indicates something unusual has happened.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:54:44 am »
but there is a Group A French lady in the results book with a time of 88:35.

but who started with group F so perhaps a late change?

« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2020, 02:08:06 pm »

Yes, probably, but group F is the 90 hour velo speciale group and from her Maindru photos she was riding a normal bike, very nice with big tyres and disk brakes, much like my n+1 would be. I didn’t really notice her bike when I passed her and can’t tell if she is the same woman, but the tracker timings seem right. I checked in at Brest half an hour after her but didn’t stop so I would have caught her reasonably quickly.
Traditionally the 80hr DNF rate was much higher than the 84hr which was lower than the 90hr but PBP19 flipped this all around. Usually the 90hr velo speciale had the worst DNF rate of every start but in 2019 was pretty average and the 84hr VS DNF rate was incredibly high this time. I’m not entirely sure what has driven these changes. The headwind on the return was annoying and draggy but it didn’t seem to be enough to cause devastation to riders. We were in 90hr VS this time and stayed within a few hours of control closing times most of the way round, so didn’t get much tailwind.

By the way, Group A is 80hr vedette, so getting homologated in 88hrs (homologated or HD?) indicates something unusual has happened.
I have known much worse headwinds but the constant draggy nature of the 2019 PBP headwind both ways certainly ground me down, as reflected in my average riding speed compared to 2015 from the same Group Z 84 hour start. It was down from 23.7km/h in 2015 to 22.4km/h in 2019 adding 2 hours 33 minutes to my riding time. Also I was fitter in 2019, having done a personal best in the Mersey 24 hour TT and some of my quickest Audax rides too.
The route was about 0.8% shorter in 2019 compared to 2015, but according to my Strava there was about 6.9% more ascent, which didn’t particularly bother me but would have tipped many potential full value finishers into HD or DNF categories.
Cold nights were another massive factor in the 2019 DNF rate especially for riders from hot climates. I’ve done plenty of rides in sub-zero temperatures but have been prepared and had enough clothing to cope with it. I expected minimum temperatures of about 9 degrees on PBP and was caught out when it was actually just 1 degree at times and I didn’t have the necessary layers with me. Even wearing my foil blanket all night I only just got away with it.
Aside from wind, hills and cold the other major factor for many DNFs was spending too much time off the bike, with wasting time queuing at controls the main culprit. This was made worse in 2019 by increased rider numbers. For 80 hour starters, especially those in Group A this would not have been a problem particularly on the way to Brest and after Loudeac on the return. Starting last I had to go through the bulge but dodged queues by taking a slight weight penalty and carrying enough food for the whole ride. My total time off the bike was 6 hours 23 minutes.

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:57:46 pm »
There were some ‘normal’ bikes in group F. I think some of them were those fancy ‘demonstration’ bikes. They were nice, but still normal bikes... it could have been one of them.

« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2020, 07:32:33 pm »
When the event filled up, I think a fair few people who couldn’t get a 90 hours slot took an 84 hour slot instead, even though they might have really needed the full 90 hours. That’s my theory anyway.

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:45:15 pm »
When the event filled up, I think a fair few people who couldn’t get a 90 hours slot took an 84 hour slot instead, even though they might have really needed the full 90 hours. That’s my theory anyway.

I reckon the lack of queues at many controls would more than make up the 6 hour difference.

« Reply #23 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:49:47 pm »

Exactly. It's Elizabeth who rode one of the bikes for the Concours des Machines. In quite a late stage it was decided that they would all start together in group F.

« Reply #24 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:35:49 pm »

Exactly. It's Elizabeth who rode one of the bikes for the Concours des Machines. In quite a late stage it was decided that they would all start together in group F.

Elizabeth and bike at 05:37 in this nice Concours des Machines video (also some nice cake),

https://vimeo.com/355868884?fbclid=IwAR2Gi3GKHicnIyPJkWxUOZmkWBPF1WWdS0yuR6UKQUJEeEZac3VF1pVZ7Xo

some very nice bicycles, mine have never been that clean.