Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3005195 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
So my memory must be from '79 or '80. But I also remember that occasionally, instead of the Beano, I would buy Whizzer and Chips, which actually cost 10p – so my whole pocket money! I think it was a bit longer than the Beano and had this pretence of being two comics in one, you could be either a Whizzer or a Chippite (no, I can't remember which I was) so, although it was really not such a good comic, I sometimes bought it instead.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

My pocket money wasn't metric!
But I did get one of the old thrupenny bits for getting out of bed when called at 4.15am on a Sunday morning, and another thruppence for eating breakfast and getting into the car efficiently by 5am.
Guess what sport my parents were involved with??

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Information on contemporary crisp prices is harder to come by.

This sounds like a job for the Freddo Index, but it seems that Freddos were on hiatus from 1979-1994 (which explains their absence from my childhood[1]), at which point they were re-launched at the price of 10p.

[1] We had the Wildlife Bars instead.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
These need to be listed alongside what your rent, then essential bills + food were.

I worked out I'm paid almost nothing more than I was per hour accounting for inflation 15 years ago. I'm going to be asking my boss on Tuesday for a payrise, which will be refused, but I'm asking anyway cos they are Taking The Piss. I have 15 years experience and a postgrad qual so they need to pay me better for the difficult job I do.

When we were married, our first residence was a sea front flat in Westcliff. It cost us £7 a week in rent. We lived there for 2 years and when we bought our first place, the mortgage was £66 a month. It wasn't long before Thatcher put that up to >£100 a month by increasing the mortgage rate to 15%
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

The Hare Krishna people came to Forest Hill yesterday.
That's a first IME.
They were distributing glossy leaflets.
And orange peace.
Two men and two women.
Dressed in their traditional robes.
With decoration down the centre of their foreheads and bridge of their noses.
Contrasting with her traditional robes, one of the women was wearing platform soled Doctor Marten boots.
I guess if they encountered any bovver, she would be the nominated individual to deal with it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Aren't orange peace actually lentils?

The shakedry with reflective om, please.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
These need to be listed alongside what your rent, then essential bills + food were.

I worked out I'm paid almost nothing more than I was per hour accounting for inflation 15 years ago. I'm going to be asking my boss on Tuesday for a payrise, which will be refused, but I'm asking anyway cos they are Taking The Piss. I have 15 years experience and a postgrad qual so they need to pay me better for the difficult job I do.

For several months in 1977 my Mess bill (accommodation, food and alcohol) exceeded my pay. There was an element of over-indulgence involved, but the pay was rubbish. At that time, a married Flight Lieutenant (Captain in Army talk) with two kids living in married quarters qualified for Housing Benefit. It was that statistic that brought about the relatively huge pay rise in 1980.