Author Topic: Cruising  (Read 1967 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Cruising
« on: 13 August, 2023, 05:02:03 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Cruising
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2023, 05:12:07 pm »
Unlike most of my acquaintances, the idea of being on one of those container prison boats fills me will horror.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2023, 06:00:39 pm »
Unlike most of my acquaintances, the idea of being on one of those container prison boats fills me will horror.

Indeed. I go on holiday to get away from people, not to be cooped up with several thousand others.

Great photo though  :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2023, 08:34:21 pm »

Back when I was a PSO, a friend of mine worked as a theatre tech on a cruise ship for a summer.  His account of the experience was enough to put me off them for life, even before you consider infectious diseases.

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2023, 10:23:34 pm »

Indeed. I go on holiday to get away from people, not to be cooped up with several thousand others.

Yes, it is a nice pic. I'm a fan of Michael Wolf's photography and I love anything featuring a grid. Take a look at Wolf's studies from Hong Kong, "Architecture of Density": https://www.shashasha.co/en/book/architecture-of-density-hong-kong

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2023, 10:26:44 pm »
Cruise...Just no. I have seen enough vomit on channel crossings thanks very much.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2023, 10:42:49 pm »
I once met a Scottish woman who had worked on a cruise ship, in the souvenir shop I think. She described the whole experience as a touring bonkathon, at least for the crew, and claimed she had lost her virginity with an engineer in the funnel. Not a euphemism, literally inside the ship's funnel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:06:50 am »

Yes, it is a nice pic. I'm a fan of Michael Wolf's photography and I love anything featuring a grid. Take a look at Wolf's studies from Hong Kong, "Architecture of Density": https://www.shashasha.co/en/book/architecture-of-density-hong-kong

Jardine House (formerly the Connaught Centre) in Hong Kong.  Known to us Western half-devil monster faces as “the Cheese Building” and to the locals – allegedly – as “the building of a thousand arseholes”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:26:20 am »
I once met a Scottish woman who had worked on a cruise ship, in the souvenir shop I think. She described the whole experience as a touring bonkathon, at least for the crew, and claimed she had lost her virginity with an engineer in the funnel. Not a euphemism, literally inside the ship's funnel.
I think you may've crossed a line there.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:25:54 am »
I think you may've crossed a line there.

Indeed, the Cunard line.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2023, 07:40:50 am »

I don't recognize the name but those Hong Kong photos are what it reminded me of immediately. Really just the shapes of doors and windows that show you're on a boat; well, that and the people lounging round in dressing gowns!

On a different note, it's earwormed me Blondie's Heart of Glass (though possibly a mondegreen?).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2023, 11:12:10 am »

I don't recognize the name but those Hong Kong photos are what it reminded me of immediately. Really just the shapes of doors and windows that show you're on a boat; well, that and the people lounging round in dressing gowns!

On a different note, it's earwormed me Blondie's Heart of Glass (though possibly a mondegreen?).

Similar.

Most of the people on that cruise would be horrified at the idea of living in a miniscule 1 bedroom flat in a tower block, but happily shell out a fortune to go on holiday in a floating tower block.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2023, 11:31:25 am »

Jardine House (formerly the Connaught Centre) in Hong Kong.  Known to us Western half-devil monster faces as “the Cheese Building” and to the locals – allegedly – as “the building of a thousand arseholes”.

Inspired, no doubt, by the timeless strategy game Connect 4

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:44:02 pm »
According to Wikinaccurate Connect 4 first appeared in February 1974 while the building was opened in 1973.  Perhaps it was t'other way round :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime