Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333419 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1625 on: 24 November, 2019, 06:00:09 pm »
Did someone say Guilt...?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1626 on: 24 November, 2019, 06:27:27 pm »
Actually, having now watched the final part of Cold Call.....that's joint second or third best thing. Only slightly less pleasingly twisty than Guilt, great cast, characters that were rounded, convincingly flawed and interesting, an equally satisfying ending, and Geoff McGivern doing a not-at-all nice 'businessman' on a par with, if not better than, Bill Paterson in Guilt. Five striped it over four consecutive nights, and it wasn't 'let's get this thing over and done with'. Blood last year was splendid, but this topped it. 

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1627 on: 24 November, 2019, 08:31:17 pm »
On His Dark Materials…
I've not read the books, vaguely familiar with how bad the film was…so no comments on deviations from the text. But this is why I pay my licence fee. Loving it. Ruth Wilson is, as ever, magnificent, young Ms Keen splendid, CGI work top notch. And Peter Hitchens hates it, which I always take as an endorsement for those of sound mind.

« Reply #1628 on: 25 November, 2019, 09:06:13 am »
Anyone else seen 'The End of the F***ing World'?  I've just finished the second series after binge-watching the first when off-sick last week. It was very good. I don't think I've seen anything like it before, not that I'm the target demographic. It's difficult to describe it without giving away any spoilers, but a 'non-conventional adolescent love road story' sort of covers it, with Larkin's observations on what your parents do to you pretty much underpinning everything that happens. Very British but happy to pretend it's American. Dark without being overpoweringly so. Sweet without being saccharine. Maybe a touch twee. And funny, or at least I found it so.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1629 on: 25 November, 2019, 09:29:06 am »
On His Dark Materials…
I've not read the books, vaguely familiar with how bad the film was…so no comments on deviations from the text. But this is why I pay my licence fee. Loving it. Ruth Wilson is, as ever, magnificent, young Ms Keen splendid, CGI work top notch. And Peter Hitchens hates it, which I always take as an endorsement for those of sound mind.

This Unit is, however, displeased with the liberties someone has taken with the character of Lee Scoresby.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1630 on: 25 November, 2019, 12:57:05 pm »
On His Dark Materials…

This Unit is, however, displeased with the liberties someone has taken with the character of Lee Scoresby.

Jars a bit, doesn't it?
Doesn't help that the film got that about perfect, right down to the casting.

Some of the casting is Not Good in the series. Strong performance from the leads is holding it together, but only just.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1631 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:41:53 pm »
On His Dark Materials…
:thumbsup:
(I have read the books. And I live v near Oxford.and I don't give a monkeys about the minor deviations from both.))
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1632 on: 13 December, 2019, 12:12:22 am »
The Expanse.  Season 4.  :thumbsup:

on Amazon Prime.   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1633 on: 13 December, 2019, 08:33:13 am »
I had Burt Reynolds in my head when I read Lee Scoresby.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rob

« Reply #1634 on: 13 December, 2019, 10:38:13 am »
On His Dark Materials…
(I have read the books. And I live v near Oxford.and I don't give a monkeys about the minor deviations from both.))

I'm quite enjoying it, but I haven't read the books.   Mrs Rob has got the hump a little with the order that things are happening.

Compare this with the re-interpretation of War of the Worlds which was, frankly, terrible.

« Reply #1635 on: 13 December, 2019, 11:00:15 am »
On His Dark Materials…

I'm quite enjoying it, but I haven't read the books.   Mrs Rob has got the hump a little with the order that things are happening.

Compare this with the re-interpretation of War of the Worlds which was, frankly, terrible.

The one starring everyone's favourite Scientologist, or the just-released one on the Beeb?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rob

« Reply #1636 on: 13 December, 2019, 11:06:07 am »
On His Dark Materials…

The one starring everyone's favourite Scientologist, or the just-released one on the Beeb?

Hehe.   I quite like the Spielberg/Cruise version.   The Beeb's was 3hrs of my life I'm not getting back - just way too slow - and all the post-apocalyptic stuff didn't add much.

This isn't my general approach to Sci-Fi.   As an example I prefer the black and white version of 'the Day the Earth Stood Still' to the Keanu Reeves version.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1637 on: 13 December, 2019, 03:27:42 pm »

I had a white-hatted version of Lee Van Cleef, probably because Philip Pullman did too.  Certainly not some dreadful thief who cheats at cards.

« Reply #1638 on: 13 December, 2019, 05:23:38 pm »

I had a white-hatted version of Lee Van Cleef, probably because Philip Pullman did too.  Certainly not some dreadful thief who cheats at cards.
Sam Elliott made a brilliant Lee Scoresby

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1639 on: 13 December, 2019, 09:31:19 pm »
Sam Elliott made a brilliant Lee Scoresby

Agreed.  One thing that film got right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1640 on: 14 December, 2019, 02:06:41 pm »
Traces

It's on Alibi/UKTV Play. Fairly stock forensics/police procedural but well acted with some plot twists that keep you watching.

Seen 3 of 6 so far. Recommended...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1641 on: 14 December, 2019, 03:28:21 pm »
WotW:

Hehe.   I quite like the Spielberg/Cruise version.   The Beeb's was 3hrs of my life I'm not getting back - just way too slow - and all the post-apocalyptic stuff didn't add much.

Have you read the book??? In 3hrs just about nothing happens!

I rather enjoyed this Beeb version, although it was far from perfect. I did think it would be a bit "marmite". I was just pleased they did something different, and did most of it well.

(although I don't think the post-apoc bits would have happened without Blade Runner II, and the tripods owed a lot to Cloverfield. Which is no bad thing ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1642 on: 14 December, 2019, 03:42:14 pm »

Who did Pullman want in the TV version? Was he overruled?

But I think some people need to get real about budgets. The BBC spent most of their money on Ruth Wilson - care to estimate her fee vs the cost of Nicole Kidman (whom Pullman begged to get in the movie)? Do you think they had budget left for Burt Reynolds, Lee Van Cleef or Sam Elliot?

Here's a good Pullman quote (from WIki):
"every film has to make changes to the story that the original book tells—not to change the outcome, but to make it fit the dimensions and the medium of film"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1643 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:50:59 pm »
The benchmark for TV adaptions is still "The Crow Road".

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1644 on: 15 December, 2019, 01:53:50 pm »
I dunno why Pullman would have begged Nicole Kidman. She was dire.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1645 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »
I thought tonight s was really good! It's picking up pace quite nicely.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1646 on: 18 December, 2019, 08:25:52 pm »
Another latecomer to 'The End of the F***ing World' party here, am liking it.

« Reply #1647 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:56:40 pm »
Peeping Tom, 10pm on Talking Pictures.

Classic 1960 gruesome shocker from Michael Powell.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1648 on: 20 December, 2019, 10:07:13 pm »
Another latecomer to 'The End of the F***ing World' party here, am liking it.

Ooh I keep meaning to watch that.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1649 on: 21 December, 2019, 12:06:30 pm »