Author Topic: New Bent. Strange 'pinging' sensation in calves and thighs.  (Read 7742 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
New Bent. Strange 'pinging' sensation in calves and thighs.
« on: 25 March, 2009, 10:47:39 pm »
Hmmm.. Odd one. Went out for my first real ride on the Furai SLII tonight. Was only a pootle, maybe 10 miles, and with 3 DF buddies flanking me. Their average speed is about 3/5th of my normal commute speed on the SMGTe, very much a social ride.

As my weekly base mileage involves 3 x 35 mile commutes, plus a longer ride each fortnight (100k/ 200k), I wasn't anticipating any muscle issues. The booms look to be about the same length and the bike feels about right (if a hell of a lot lighter).

So, having ridden 17 miles home over some fairly mental hills on my normal steed, food, a quick turnaround and I'm out on the new one. Within a minute of leaving, I'm getting this really  odd 'pinging' sensation in my calves. Its like the muscle is popping from the outside of my leg to the inside. Quite worrying. Went away, then started in my thighs 20 seconds later.

From my house, I travelled up a low gradient slope for about a mile, with the pinging staying pretty much constant on every third pedal rotation. Cadence was normal / higher than normal. Hill is one I tackle every day on the SMGTe and is normally no issue at all.

When I came down the other side, I stretched my muscles a little by pointing my toes and my leg cramped. I held the stretch for about 20 secs because that's what it seemed to want, and after the pinging began to subside.

I'm back now, and am aware that my legs are far stiffer than before. Stiffer than after the overnight 200 on the SMGTe in fact.

Any thoughts about what might be causing it? I use the same pedals (well, Aliums and Roc Atac S) and think the crank lengths are the same. Seat angle is about equal too... I wonder if it'll go away.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Re: New Bent. Strange 'pinging' sensation in calves and thighs.
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2009, 06:57:56 am »
It might seem like the same position, but I'll bet it's different enough to cause that.  I wasn't expecting such a change from Hurricane to Fujin either, and those are *much* closer in height and position, I'd warrant.  I noticed a distinct change in fitness specificity, although not as much as between a 'bent and an upright.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:53:07 pm »
Cheers Mikey. Here's hoping you're right. Its either that, or my legs are exploding with some hitherto undiscovered disease.

Am hoping to take the Furai out again tomorrow. Would have been today, but I just can't face riding the stupidly low gearing down Crystal Palace Hill.

I have no idea why Challenge thought a superlight mid racing 24" should top out with a 53/11. The SMGTe with stock dualdrive is geared higher, and it weighs 7kg more.

Unloaded.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:46:47 pm »
I have no idea why Challenge thought a superlight mid racing 24" should top out with a 53/11. The SMGTe with stock dualdrive is geared higher, and it weighs 7kg more.

Challenge is Dutch.  They don't have hills over there ;D

IIRC Cosimo The Stealth Baron came with a 53/12; top gear only ever got used coming down the hill at Eastway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:58:56 pm »
Hmmm... I don't think I came out of 53/11 more than a couple of times all ride, including some mild inclines. Then again, this is maybe why my legs hurt :)

At this rate, I may put a double on the front, and singlespeed the rear.

Actually, does anyone know if you can switch out individual chainrings without messing up gear shifts and things? If I can find a 60T to replace that 53, I think I may be far far happier. The chainset is an FSA carbon something or other, stock for the SLII upgrade, I believe.

Recumbent riding for me is all about picking up speed on the downhill, then retaining it for as long as possible. With a 53, I'm spinning out on the flat!

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:40:45 pm »
I have no idea why Challenge thought a superlight mid racing 24" should top out with a 53/11.
Because it's what they had in their parts bin  ::-)

I think I'd be happy enough with ~109", but a friend who is also a new Furai owner finds the lack of a big top gear frustrating. How about a Capreo hub and cassette (gets you up to 134")? Won't be cheap, though - in the region of £100.
Profit or planet?

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2009, 04:53:40 pm »
Hmmmm...

That's a pain. I hadn't considered the Capreo hub, mainly because I'd need to get it built into an already new wheel, but also because it seems to solve things at the wrong end. I don't like the idea of replacing those 9 little teeth every time I wear through them.

Mind you, it looks like shifting performance wouldn't be troubled, and I'm not entirely sure there's room on my derailleur post to position correctly for a 60T (if I could even find one).

I think my math may be out too.. The SMGTe feels like its geared far higher, but taking the formula as gear inches (GI) = drive wheel diameter (DWD) x front cog teeth (FCT) / rear cog teeth (RCT) x any multiplier afforded by planetary / hub gearing, I get the following:

NameDWDFCTRCTMULTIPLIERGI
Furai with XT Upgrade2453110115.6364
SMGTe (Stock)2637110.36118.9382
Stock MTB2653110125.2727
Furai with 60T2460110130.9091
Furai with Capreo245390141.3333

That'd suggest my two bikes top out within 3% of each other. Am I missing something, or did I just get the numbers wrong. I'm pretty sure the dual drive affords me a 36% increase on the SMGTe, and a quick count says there are 37 teeth up front.*

If this is correct, I should be able to sit on the 10T rear and still out pace the SMGTe.

Or for that matter, finding another two teeth on the front would do the same... Is this all in my mind?

* I am in the office, and finding the point between accuracy and discretion is tricky.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2009, 05:10:35 pm »
Yes! Got the table right. Mind you, I did mean x 1 and x 1.36 rather than x 0 for all the multipliers.  :thumbsup:

literida

« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2009, 07:08:06 pm »
The pinging sensation sounds like iliotibial band syndrome - Iliotibial band syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

I've suffered from it in the past. The inflamed band (runs from the hip down the side of the thigh to below the knee) "pings" over a little lumpy bit on the side of the knee.

Stretching it can be enough to relieve the problem temporarily, basically touching the toes with a twist. Let's say it's the left leg, touch the outside of the left ankle with the fingers of the right hand.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2009, 08:11:30 pm »
Scary stuff. Am glad I've never had it on my other bike. Is very probably some sort of muscle imbalance, as you describe.  Think its time to look at my position on the Furai again, as I really do not want to have to avoid cycling for any amount of time.

Cheers!
- Edit: Updated table, as I miscounted the SMGTe chainwheel teeth. Its actually a T38 (122.15GI), so the equivalent would be a 56/11 (122.18GI) or a 53/10 (127.2GI)

NameDWDFCTRCTMULTIPLIERGI
Furai with XT Upgrade2453111115.6364
SMGTe (Stock)2638111.36122.15
Stock MTB2653111125.2727
Furai with 56T2456111122.18
Furai with Capreo245390141.3333

« Reply #10 on: 27 March, 2009, 06:25:27 am »
try highpath engineeringly for a 60 tooth chainring  :)
the slower you go the more you see

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #11 on: 27 March, 2009, 08:16:33 am »
Thanks Cycleman. T60s seem to start from £80 odd http://www.highpath.net/cycles/eggs/02.html, which is cheaper than a capreo so well worth considering.

I'm also looking at a T56 FSA Road Chain Ring, as it looks like an easy swap out. These are <£40 at http://www.sbrsports.com/302-430688?sid=192423bf83240900 or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35784 so might be a more palatable as an interim fix.

Sorry about taking this thread off topic. Should I start a new one, or is this ok?

« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2009, 08:31:28 am »
Stock MTB 26 53 11 1 125.2727

Going even further off-topic, are you sure about that? I've never seen a stock MTB with big ring above 48t, and I'm not aware of any above 44t made within the past 15 years...

I reckon your MTB will have a top gear of 104"...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2009, 09:08:41 am »
Another chainring option over on the bhpc forum
BHPC Forum - Big Chainrings - Page 1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2009, 12:49:42 pm »
Downhills are for coasting ;D  I'm quite happy with the ~90" top gear on my Trice, and used to run my Kingcycle with 83...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2009, 07:26:10 am »
 am running 42/32/22- 11-32 on the trice with it's 20" wheel so i can haul my feeble self uphill . so downhill coasting is the only way for me . i can still get 40mph downhill on occasion though  :thumbsup: ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2009, 07:57:02 am »
Wheel diameters in inches are very much nominal; I use (ETRTO size + (2 x tyre size)) / 25.4

E.g. 520 wheel with 28C tyre > 22.7" (and not 24")

Another source of (very good) big rings:

Tandwielen

Priced in Euros, which was once a good thing...  :-\
Profit or planet?

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #17 on: 30 March, 2009, 10:27:51 am »
Thanks again all for the assistance, particularly the suggestions around wheel sizing. The SMGTe runs an inch and a half of marathon fatness, so that probably explains why the similar gearing feels so different when it reaches the road.

Been out a few more times on the Furai. Beginning to feel a little better about it all now. Think the effects felt worse due to perfect storm of:
  • a lower top gear (smaller wheels and ratios)
  • much lighter steering (geometry and lighter wheels)
  • much lighter frame (materials and options)
  • inexperienced rider (too long on the SMGTe)

Result was lots of weaving and pedal steer, making it harder for me to put power where I wanted it. Am getting better now, but still in need of some serious miles.

I have got to get some sort of excuse slip for the real world. It keeps taking me from the bike.