Author Topic: Aquavelomobile!  (Read 2222 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Aquavelomobile!
« on: 08 October, 2009, 10:18:21 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Aquavelomobile!
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2009, 10:43:21 pm »
err one question:

What is the drive to the rear wheel? If it is a chain how is this sealed in the dry part of the 'boat'?

Otherwise a classic solution looking for that strange commute route.

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:24:12 pm »
Since it's described as a Human-Electric Powered Amphibious Vehicle, I wonder if it's using something like a waterproof electric hub?  The drive would then just be via wires, with a pedal powered generator.

I would imagine the main problem is waterproofing the bearings for all the wheels, but that sort of technology must already exist in boats with the shafts to the props and similar.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:32:55 pm »
err one question:

What is the drive to the rear wheel? If it is a chain how is this sealed in the dry part of the 'boat'?

Otherwise a classic solution looking for that strange commute route.

Glad you asked that as I thought the same thing.  I guessed it might be routed "up and over" into a rear compartment for the wheel.

But the I noticed there's no gears/deraileur on the back wheel.

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:44:36 pm »
Looking at the pictures on the website, and watching it in operation, my guess is that the pedals drive a generator and that in turn feeds an electric motor in the rear hub, with a chain drive from the rear wheel to the prop.  The front wheels steer when out of the water, and have disc brakes.  The prop is turned to provide steering in the water.

The efficiency of converting power via electricity from motion, back into motion is going to be pretty poor even just to move it, and is probably incredibly dire when moving it when in the water.  It looks like it'll move it on the flat, and can probably get some speed up with enough time to build some momentum up, but doesn't have enough omph to even get up the slight incline when it needs to leave the water.

Essentially it's a dancing bear.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:48:19 pm »
ps Whilst it's rather cool, it should probably be added to the Most useless invention thread. ;D

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2009, 06:49:18 am »
Never mind the drive to the rear wheel  -  why has it got a Flintstone-style hole in the bottom of the hull ?

Maybe it is to improve drainage  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:41:39 am »
Never mind the drive to the rear wheel  -  why has it got a Flintstone-style hole in the bottom of the hull ?

Maybe it is to improve drainage  ;)

Usually, that would be there to allow reversing of the vehicle without getting out, bu if it does have electric transmission then that wouldn't be necessary.

Regarding the chain drive, there are plenty of lubricants around which would allow a chain to be used under water and I don't imagine that anybody would expect to put in huge journeys afloat, so if it was me I reckon I'd just re-lube after each amphibious use. Or just use a stainless steel or titanium chain and let the water be the lubricant.  ;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2009, 10:16:45 am »
Completely crazy.  But I rather like the idea of pedal-powered craft, and anyone who has seen my expertise with a canoe paddle would agree.
Getting there...