Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250288 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Base training
« Reply #1975 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:11:32 pm »
Two rest days then 3 months of Base Training starts again. I'm going to be more disciplined with my S&C this winter.
[he says... ]

simonp

« Reply #1976 on: 03 October, 2020, 04:09:41 pm »
I was advised to avoid max effort until my heart investigations have been concluded. So I've deleted my training plan, replaced it with Traditional Base HV 1..3 and skipped the ramp test and declared my FTP to be 250W.

So far I've done week 1 (4x2h15) and half of week 2 (4x2h30). 2h30 today yet to be done, but I have hurt my back taking furniture to the tip, it may not cooperate.

rob

« Reply #1977 on: 03 October, 2020, 05:43:04 pm »
No structured work since July and the turbo is in the shed.  I have done lots of road miles and I’m approx 1,000 miles up on last year.  I’m also about a stone up on last year.  Much to do.

The earliest I’ll start back is 1st Nov.   I personally find it very hard to train without a target.  I think moving back to focus on TTs in the short term will help as they are more likely to happen.

« Reply #1978 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:50:40 am »
Target vital for me too, and the more specific the better.  Am currently thinking towards the TCR next July. It may not happen but there should be some alternatives that I'd like to be in good shape for.

Plan is to get my SR wrapped up next weekend, then a bit of a break, and start doing something structured around the start of November. That's two months earlier than normal. I increasingly feel that I need to take training more seriously to counter the effects of ageing!

Probably more miles for me this year, certainly some more interesting miles as I've avoided my normal routes in the  Chilterns all year and used lockdown to explore other areas.

« Reply #1979 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:46:12 am »
Similar to above, got an SR to try and complete. Then a break. Then sometime in November I’ll reintroduce my legs to the turbo then probably start the structure properly come December.

« Reply #1980 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
Just refined my Kickr/TrainerRoad setup with the addition of a second Cleva blower piggy-backed to the first.  One either side at the front - one pointing at the face and another at the body.

Even better - because they have a physical power switch I can set them at the desired level in advance and then voice-activate them using a smart plug when things are heating up (generally about 10 minutes in depending on the intensity.)  Saves a chilly start to the session or having to get off & flick the switch.  ::-)  ;D

The new system is working really well.

Got to thinking how it could be refined further.  Each Cleva could be on its own voice-activated smart switch to allow for variable intensity.  You could even add a third central one for hi-intensity wind-tunnel efforts (only to be used in emergencies  ;D).

A triple Cleva set-up individually switched like that would still cost less than a single Wahoo Headwind, be infinitely more controllable and be capable of shifting a much greater air volume.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Chris S

« Reply #1981 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »
Wow - impressive fannage.

« Reply #1982 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:45:10 pm »
Thanks go to DuncanM for putting me onto these blowers (plus sorting me out with the TrainerRoad trial month!).

Chris S

« Reply #1983 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:48:52 pm »
Thanks go to DuncanM for putting me onto these blowers (plus sorting me out with the TrainerRoad trial month!).

Fboab has one of those - and she seems quite pleased with it. I prefer to drip sweat all over my stuff because it makes it look like I'M WORKING HARDER. :D

simonp

« Reply #1984 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:02:02 pm »
The sweat from the last workout I did made the heart monitoring thingy the hospital gave me on Tuesday fall off. I managed to reattach it later though.

Chris S

« Reply #1985 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
The sweat from the last workout I did made the heart monitoring thingy the hospital gave me on Tuesday fall off. I managed to reattach it later though.

It's a thing. I dripped sweat on my phone once, which had the Zwift companion app open, and it quit my ride for me.

#firstworldsweatissues

« Reply #1986 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
I must say that after 13 years of sweating puddles on the gym floor necessitating an immediate shower and change of all clothing, these blowers are a revelation. I stay more or less dry - just the occasional dab of the fevered brow with a towel.  Altogether more civilised.  I don't mind sweating all over the gym bike and floor but would rather keep mine dry  ;)

This is all good timing as the gym have closed off the showers as a covid measure.  There's no way I could cycle home in that state!

« Reply #1987 on: 05 October, 2020, 08:58:37 am »
If you are sweating puddles on the turbo, you are restricting your ability to train. You can see it if you do FTP tests with and without a fan - you can generate more power with the fan. So if you do all your workouts with sufficient cooling, you can do more work and get more fitness benefit than without. N+1 for fans too (at least in the summer!) :)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1988 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:34:00 pm »
If the sweat doesn't evaporate it's not cooling you down. I have 2 fans on all the time but still sweat a lot, not puddles but my shorts are soaked by the end usually. I also open the window to keep humidity below 100% otherwise sweat won't evaporate even with fans.

« Reply #1989 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »
Best to turn the heating on so that the sweat can evaporate more easily!   :demon:

rob

« Reply #1990 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:58:07 am »
I think I'm going to need to put the turbo by the patio doors.   There's other useful space but the rest of the house is carpeted and I'm trying quite hard not to lose my security deposit.

We've just put an offer in on a place that has a decent size room above the garage with a toilet and shower.   This has been bagged as the gym/turbo area.   I can't see us moving in until the New Year, though.

« Reply #1991 on: 07 October, 2020, 03:30:53 pm »
I put my turbo on the patio. Means it’s weather dependent but there’s enough dry periods a week to get the sessions done.  It’s actually quite nice on the turbo when it’s a cold winter’s day.  Jacket on during warm up then down to just a shirt once into main session.

« Reply #1992 on: 07 October, 2020, 03:34:51 pm »
I was alternating between the patio & indoors in the summer but it was a bit of a faff and just one more dis-incentive to getting on the bike  ;D  Setup stays indoors now.

« Reply #1993 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:32:00 am »
Just refined my Kickr/TrainerRoad setup with the addition of a second Cleva blower piggy-backed to the first.  One either side at the front - one pointing at the face and another at the body.

Even better - because they have a physical power switch I can set them at the desired level in advance and then voice-activate them using a smart plug when things are heating up (generally about 10 minutes in depending on the intensity.)  Saves a chilly start to the session or having to get off & flick the switch.  ::-)  ;D

The new system is working really well.

Got to thinking how it could be refined further.  Each Cleva could be on its own voice-activated smart switch to allow for variable intensity.  You could even add a third central one for hi-intensity wind-tunnel efforts (only to be used in emergencies  ;D).

A triple Cleva set-up individually switched like that would still cost less than a single Wahoo Headwind, be infinitely more controllable and be capable of shifting a much greater air volume.

Better still, put them behind you and you'd go a lot faster.  Turn that power into pure speed.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #1994 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:30:03 am »
Two weeks done , last week was a bit of a struggle due to working late most evenings and Saturday so it ended up being Thursday/Friday evening and Saturday late afternoon as the training times  which was not ideal but got it done.
Rested up Sunday and went out on the motorbike which seemed a lot easier going up the hills  :-[

« Reply #1995 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:36:31 am »
My planned 200 on Saturday didn't happen as the bike had issues I couldn't fix in the dark.
So I joined some vTeammates in a workout. VO2max intervals.

My planned 200 on Sunday didn't happen.

Top Tip- Old women need more than 10 hours recovery before trying to ride up Big Steep Hills. However quickly they get the protein recovery drink in.  :facepalm:

« Reply #1996 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »
I dusted down Trainerroad this afternoon, probably for the first time since August, and did a ramp test.

It went well.  I could tell when I was approaching my FTP level that I was stronger than in the recent past, and I managed to push it up by about 7%.  Still not massive numbers, but the highest it has been for five years, so a step in the right direction. 

Since my last test in August I have mainly done long, low intensity rides, like DIYs, and riding mostly just once per week, rather than short stuff every day as on a TR programme.  Interesting...

simonp

« Reply #1997 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:34:38 pm »
I’m following TB HV. Last weekend of first block now. 2h45 today. Same tomorrow.

At least it’s recovery week coming up. Wait, what, that’s 4x2h?

Kill me now.

« Reply #1998 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:49:34 am »
For something different I've just done two weeks of VO2Max intervals.  There are various posts on the TR  forum which suggest this might be a good way to push up FTP before starting a block of training.

VO2 max intervals were not too bad.  Didn't take too long, and it was a good challenge to stay on top of them.  I slightly worry that I wasn't doing them properly because of limitations in my setup (low end smart trainer), but I did the best I could.  I didn't do much other riding so managed to put back on a bit of extra weight.

Ramp test tomorrow - I'll find out if it worked or not.

« Reply #1999 on: 01 November, 2020, 01:44:36 pm »
I’m following TB HV. Last weekend of first block now. 2h45 today. Same tomorrow.

At least it’s recovery week coming up. Wait, what, that’s 4x2h?

Kill me now.

Do you do it outside or on turbo?