Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2180698 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5425 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »
I have not managed to fettle a rear mudguard onto my bike. I have poked and drilled and ziptied and unziptied and filed and pliered(eded) and sworn and reziptied but the mudguard is still on the floor next to the bike.

I am giving up for now and going to bed and will try again in the morning.

(And then I will fettle the stairs which have mysteriously gained some oil marks all the way up them which I am sure is mere coincidence given that I've been fettling in the kitchen  :-[)

Frustrating afternoon/evening.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #5426 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »
You could always set up the National Welding Museum...
I'd need a TIG set and oxy acetylene to complete the mix...

« Reply #5427 on: 09 April, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »
The shifter box won't go back onto the Rohloff.
I've had several attempts over the weekend and I've used all of the swear words that I know (and combinations thereof...........).
My future involves an embarassing trip to the bike shop and, probably, expensive new components  :(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5428 on: 09 April, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »
and I've used all of the swear words that I know (and combinations thereof...........).

give boab a call,she is the expert in these matters ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5429 on: 09 April, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »
I have converted 2 knackered old cabinets and contents therein to a nice shiny rolling tool chest with butchers block top.  75% of my tools now reside in this vision or organisation, just need to empty the other toolbox (that is in the other shed) into same.

Also done numerous tip trips today with the rubble from getting the garden path re-done.

Now I need a curry and beer.

Oh! and a shower :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5430 on: 09 April, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »
Replacement BB in the Brommie, greased the suspension block and tightened a couple of screws in the RH pedal, all in pursuit of an annoying creak. Now to tackle a BB creak in the Frezoni and possibly to replace the front tyre. My Moulton can wait till another day but I might cast an eye over HK's Brommie brakes tonight.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5431 on: 09 April, 2012, 05:43:58 pm »
and I've used all of the swear words that I know (and combinations thereof...........).

I thought she only knew one but compensated by using it frequently.

« Reply #5432 on: 09 April, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

'friad so.
In my mouth, it's a noun, a verb, an adjective & an adverb.
(click to show/hide)

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #5433 on: 10 April, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
I still have another 140A arc welder the same, a 180A arc welder and a 130 A mig welder to be getting on with so I won't miss it.
I found another 140A welder, an EasyWeld brand in orange. :thumbsup:

That's five welders in the house vs seven or eight winches and an electro-hydraulic crane! ;D

tiermat

« Reply #5434 on: 10 April, 2012, 03:27:17 pm »
Just removed the mudguards and rack from the InBred.

Fitted new, lighter and stiffer rack to InBred.

Need to do a packing of bike in Visqueen dry run at sometime between now and Sunday night.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5435 on: 10 April, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »

'friad so.
In my mouth, it's a noun, a verb, an adjective & an adverb.
(click to show/hide)

We were discussing swearing in Iran, and I was defending English swearing. Iranian curses tend to be of the "may your family be plagued with boils unto the tenth generation" variety. English swearing is much more visceral and satisfying. There isn't an Iranian equivalent of "the fucking fucker's fucking fucked it".

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5436 on: 11 April, 2012, 11:51:52 am »
Replaced sealed bearings on the back wheel of the steamroller (Surly not heavy road flattening equipment). Was on the verge of buying a new wheel so happy wiv me.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5437 on: 11 April, 2012, 11:57:20 am »
That said £12.99 per side seems a bit steep from LBS for the replacement bearings, am I right?  :o

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #5438 on: 11 April, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »
I fettled a heat sink for the speed controller on my tractor.
It is the full of holes end of a 60"x17"x5/8" bit of Aluminium I had lying around cut off at about 9".  Will need to get some heatsink paste for it next time I am out shopping.

I also fitted a 'Cyclist's' cup holder to it. :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #5439 on: 11 April, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »
Removed 3 sets of pedals, and fitted 2 pairs of same (one pair was on a chainset that I had taken off a bike and needed to fit them to a different bike).

Found numerous items for packing up for next week.

Realised I may have missed off an important part when I dropped off the kit with Torslanda. EEEEK!

« Reply #5440 on: 11 April, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Tested two old (the newer one is 11 years old) originally 4.5 amp hour 6 volt rechargeable batteries, by connecting 'em up to 12 watts of lighting & waiting. They should both have been pretty well fully charged.

1. Lasted 2 1/2 hours, which is good. Either the lights are drawing slightly less than they're supposed to, or the battery has slightly more capacity than it was originally rated at.

2. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. I can't get it to light anything up. I plugged everything it failed to light up into 1), & they all worked. Oh dear. It was lighting things up last week, though one of the things it was lighting up was a battery low indicator, much earlier than expected (hence the test).

In case it wasn't actually charged up, I'm now recharging 2), & I'm doing it with the charger I used for 1) (the batteries are the same make, same type) in case it's the charger.

This battery may be heading for the recyclers.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5441 on: 11 April, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »
Investigate horrible noises coming from Brompton rear hub. Discover they're caused by loose cone rubbing on hub shell.

Dismantle hub. Discover fragments of metal inside - apparently remnants of some kind of bearing retaining cage. Pingfuckit. Hang on, I think I'm supposed to have ten bearings but I only have nine...

Give everything a good clean. Look at it in bemusement and wonder how it all goes back together.

Have a cup of tea and a sit down.

Sigh heavily.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5442 on: 12 April, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
Fitted new brake pads, rear wheel. While I was doing that I thought I should have another look at the slightly uneven tensioning of the Vee brake arms. Checked both sides had the pin in the same hole, fiddled with the tension-adjusting screws, got it as right as it would go. I reckon part of the problem is slight corrosion in the cable inner, so as I had a spare cable I decided now was the time to fit it. Removed the old one and... unfortunately I don't have (or no longer have) a cable-cutter. Tried to do it with the sharp bit of a pair of pliers, which worked pretty well but there's always one strand that won't cut and then starts to unravel as I push it through the casing. So it's off to LBS first thing tomorrow to buy proper cutters.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5443 on: 12 April, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »
Just installed the pingfuckits on my Ortiebs to make them fit the racks on the Dawes, and fitted the sides to the rack on barakta's trike (which is one of those annoying three-handed jobs, but unfortunately they have to come off for it to fit the turbo trainer) so it can take panniers.

I've refrained from cleaning any transmission components, because prior experience of circumnavigating Rutland Water has taught me to expect mud.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5444 on: 12 April, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
The Ribble is fully fettled. I am quite pleased with the newly taped bars complete with lots of gel pads. Shame I will have to wait until next week to try the new bars out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5445 on: 12 April, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »
I've been fettling Butterfly's new toy:

Fitted rack (swapped from her Galaxy which got a new (cheaper) one and the mudguards reattached by a different method
Mudguards fitted
Brake rub sorted
New bottle cages
Exposure light mount
Computer fitted & set

And my tourer:
Old computer problem diagnosed
New computer fitted & set

And TGL's tourer:
Fitted bottle cages from Butterfly's bike
Removed remains of old coputer
Fitted new computer and set.

And I've fitted new hoses and twinheads to both trackpumps

Kneeling and standing up has been challenging, though.

Oh - and I've taken my Ridgeback to Corridori to fettle.  That one's a bit beyond me ;D
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #5446 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:39:39 am »
Fettled in the InBred into flying shape, this involved turning the bars, removing the seat and post (it wouldn't go down far enough) turning the Cyo 90degrees so that it wouldn't get bashed, removing pedals and letting the tyres down.

Prior to that though I thought I had better look at the brakes as they seemed a little woolly last night.  When I looked at the rear one, I wondered why the stationary pad was so far away from the disc.  I thought I would re-set them up, only to find one of the fixing bolts loose!  that'll do it then :)  All set up right now, spare pads going with me just in case.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5447 on: 13 April, 2012, 11:45:02 am »
The most essential of maintenance - picked about 30 pieces of glass/flint out of my tyres and super-glued them ready to ride ~400km tomorrow
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5448 on: 13 April, 2012, 12:06:55 pm »
Small boys' scooters.  This has made them :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5449 on: 13 April, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »
Saddle clamp bolts.
I found out the hard way that one of the retaining bolts on the 1x1's seat post had worked loose, meaning that when I pulled up sharp at a set of lights the saddle, with me on it, kept going. Fortunately, there were no witnesses.

Thomson seat posts are really very nice, but the two-bolt clamp setup is a monumental pain.

Tonight I'll be fettling the Pugsley for a bit of off-road action on Sunday.