Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2180752 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10225 on: 14 April, 2015, 11:35:29 pm »
Actually, here's one from today, that I forgotten about:

20150414_191637 by misssherriff, on Flickr

Please excuse the trouserless passenger, it was warm today.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10226 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:02:30 am »
It's good! But who is the second seat for?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10227 on: 15 April, 2015, 05:36:05 pm »
Much rolling on the floor and swearing has seen a tidying and labelling of all the anbaric string under the desk upstairs.  Unfortunately none of the hi-fi seems to work.  Dunno if it's the amp or the squeakers or the cables.  Further swearing required chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10228 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:53:36 pm »
Sam's cycles in moss end garden village has been fettling on my behalf friction bar end shifter's onto the trice

:)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #10229 on: 16 April, 2015, 06:45:37 am »
No one at the moment. I put it on to show my friend (who has twins) what it can do. She wants a go when her back is better  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10230 on: 16 April, 2015, 07:33:50 am »
I've made breakfast.

Next i will go and buy a stack of timber to continue my stud wall building.  (I don't do the tin stuff now, even if it is cheaper).
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10231 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:10:45 am »
No one at the moment. I put it on to show my friend (who has twins) what it can do. She wants a go when her back is better  :thumbsup:
<Thinks. You can get double prams and buggies, what about double child seats? A single seat with room for two babies or toddlers sitting side by side would make it possible to carry twins on a 'normal' bike. Of course, you wouldn't get through any Silly Sustrans Gates. Stops thinking.>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10232 on: 16 April, 2015, 11:50:08 am »
Following Sunday's mudguard-smashing stick, I've taped up the split plastic, removed the rusty washers from the mounting points, installed a spare set of releasing clips I had and done everything back up again. I haven't cut down the stays; because of the extra length due to the clips, they need to be shortened. So now my back mudguard is wonky to match the front! (albeit radially rather than side-to-side). I might even decide to replace these supposedly black but look brown in sunlight mudguards with silver ones to lighten up the bike, especially now I'm not (currently) using the black rims. Or maybe metal? For the time being, I'll see how the gaffer tape works!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10233 on: 16 April, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »
Dual 505-2 Deluxe record player.  Been a long time disused.  Needed a poke about in the works to get it spinning.  Emitting smoke, but that's just dust in the motor burning off ...I hope!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10234 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:44:49 pm »
My twins solution is a bakfiets - enough room for the girls and the double maclaren buggy required at the destination end. (Though I'm still pondering molishing some kind of pannier rack mount carrier for it to ensure passing drivers give me even more room...)

« Reply #10235 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:14:35 pm »
Removed the remainder of the mudguards from the not-Tifosi and gave it a bit of a clean. I didn't bothered putting the new guards on, because (1) I hate fettling mudguards, and (b) it's forecast to be dry this weekend!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10236 on: 18 April, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
The elusive BB7 boots arrived today, so I finished the overhaul of the trike (that is, cabling, adjusting and balancing the front brakes).  Barakta has just done a couple of laps of the block, and confirms that it  a) lights up  b) goes  c) goes faster  d) stops  and  e) stays still  in response to the relevant controls.

The main battery is cell balancing, and the console battery (see rants passim about the wireless console gimmick) is charging, so we could in principle go for a pootle at some point.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10237 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
World's simplest fettle I think. tightened up one cone on the rear wheel of the singlespeed so the wheel doesn't move laterally
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10238 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »
IRTA "tightened up one corner of the rear wheel of the singlespeed"

« Reply #10239 on: 23 April, 2015, 12:14:37 am »
World's simplest fettle I think. tightened up one cone on the rear wheel of the singlespeed so the wheel doesn't move laterally

Oh, I think I can rival that. Spent much of the Green and Yellow Fields bemoaning the fact that the zip on my (quite pricy) Gore jacket would no longer do up properly, unless I very, very carefully used a fingernail to track the slider all the way up, something that was taking at least four attempts by the end of the ride.

A second or two squeezing the jaws of the slider together with a pair of pliers seems to have sorted it.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10240 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:56:24 am »
assembled a backup bike, as my main commuter bike has "disappeared" from holborn yesterday evening.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10241 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:29:35 pm »
Front and rear mechs. They both work now but the owner has left a hat behind.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10242 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Oranj
The hub on my Ksyrium rear wheel was also starting to make binding noises when freewheeling, so that got a strip-down and a little grease reapplied to the pawls and ramps.

Next time use light mineral oil, such as hydraulic brake oil.  ;)

« Reply #10243 on: 27 April, 2015, 06:23:25 pm »
Finally chopped off a bit from the not-Tifosi's steerer tube, having stripped the bike down for a much-needed big clean and service. It's only taken me three years (though it's only been on that particular frame for two)... ::-)

I should really do the same to the Trek as it looks a bit daft (and unlike the not-Tifosi, I won't be mounting a big brass bell above the stem to take up some of the space), but I don't really trust my hacksawing skills on the shiny carbon. :hand:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10244 on: 28 April, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »
Removed all bikes, spare wheels, etc from inside the kitchen and just outside the front door to the newly installed Sheffield stands. Actually, the spare wheels are inside the Bicycle WardrobeTM, but that's equally good.

« Reply #10245 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:04:24 am »
Removed Centaur shifters from best bike ready to send off for servicing (as proved somewhat temperamental on Elenydd)
Removed Veloce shifters from second best bike 
Halfway through installing Veloce shifters on best bike  -  shifters & cables in place, still needs indexing and bars retaping.

Bought new gear cable inners in readiness for this job.  Why the f__k didnt I buy new brake cable inners too?

fuzzy

« Reply #10246 on: 29 April, 2015, 07:54:37 pm »

Bought new gear cable inners in readiness for this job.  Why the f__k didnt I buy new brake cable inners too?

Cos, at that time, your numpty index reading was a bit on the + side?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10247 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:53:10 pm »
Took apart a Pentax P80 compact camera.  Was hoping to replace a button/coin cell as the clock and all settings get reset after removing the main battery.  I failed to find such a cell, but succeeded to get quite a painful electric shock from the flash capacitor.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #10248 on: 02 May, 2015, 03:12:26 am »
Rebuilt my Planet X RT57 prior to offering it for sale. Looks so smart I'm tempted to keep it!

« Reply #10249 on: 02 May, 2015, 11:34:10 am »
New chainring and cassette on the Opera (48t....so need to swap front mech for braze on that I can drop lower) New chainring on Look.  New chainring on Ribble.  Hope hub lubed, Kysrium hub lubed, Look headset lubed.

Just can't be arsed to ride them