Author Topic: Joy (New Metallica and DF albums)  (Read 2651 times)

Joy (New Metallica and DF albums)
« on: 17 September, 2008, 04:14:10 pm »
Death Magnetic and UltraBeatdown  by Metallica and DragonForce resp. have just landed on my desk... and are about to be copied on my machine and later ripped. Do not disturb for a while. Hearing in progress.  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Joy (New Metallica and DF albums)
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »
Ooh!  Ooh!  Review!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2008, 04:25:05 pm »
I understand from the radio that Metallica were a support act to Carla Bruni on Later... ;)
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »
And if you go to the radio1 site you can listen again to "Metallica night" that was on Monday evening.
History, interviews live gig they did last Sunday etc'.

Rich.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2008, 06:41:50 pm »
And if you go to the radio1 site you can listen again to "Metallica night" that was on Monday evening.
History, interviews live gig they did last Sunday etc'.

Rich.

They're also on the Bruce Dickinson Rock Show soon (probably this Friday?) too.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:08:15 pm »
Death Magnetic and UltraBeatdown  by Metallica and DragonForce resp. have just landed on my desk... and are about to be copied on my machine and later stipped. Do not disturb for a while. Hearing in progress.  :thumbsup:

Well?
Wassit like? Any good?
Please pray, do tell.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:11:20 pm »
It's good, not "Master of puppets" good but better than the last three albums

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »
Listening to various tracks online, it's heavier than their recent albums.
Getting nearer to the older style.

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:20:42 pm »
It's good, not "Master of puppets" good but better than the last three albums

Is it more aggressive?
I like the Ride the Lighteneing album,but also Load and the Black album. They're my favourite, depending on what mood I'm in. Haven't heard much after the Load album. I was a bit put off by The Unforgiven Too/2?.
I like "Fuel" though. (Makes me think of Andy Gates, even though I've never met him ;D)
Master of Puppets has some stuff that works very well live though.

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »
Listening to various tracks online, it's heavier than their recent albums.
Getting nearer to the older style.

Sounds promising.

« Reply #11 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:27:47 am »
It is good. I'd suggest a blend of Ride the Lightning at times, Master with some touches of And Justice for All... Better than material we've had more recently, more raw with nice guitars. I need to listen to it some more to decide like Gus whether it is not as good as Master. It is not Fuel (Load) , which I like very much, either. Definitely more old style. But I would suggest you listen to it!

« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:30:47 am »
I recorded, by chance, a late TV program a couple of weeks ago on BB2 with Metallica presenting their new material. Lars was abit, well, OTT; but it did sound promissing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2008, 10:43:06 am »
How come this bunch of over-grown unwashed teenagers with crap hair have suddenly become cool after twenty years?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2008, 10:49:10 am »
From what I have heard (but I haven't seen ...Later yet, I'll record it Friday night), KOL supported Carla Bruni, not Metallica.

TBH I am probably with the majority of old scholl Metallica fans, in that I like their stuff up to the black album, then they went way off track (Metallica doing country? gimme a break!).  I do however have a copy of Load and Re-load.  Listened to St Anger once and thought that they were not really going in a direction I could appreciate so left it.  May have to check out the new stuff, maybe Jason Newkid was spoiling it for them?  The best album they ever did wasn't even an official one, but well worth finding if you can, it's "Sanatorium, live from Nassau Coliseum", feturing the best bass solo I have ever heard, i.e. Orion.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2008, 11:20:50 am »
How come this bunch of over-grown unwashed teenagers with crap hair have suddenly become cool after twenty years?

They were cool for different people over differents eras (and albums). I've been a fan for over 20 years, although I struggled a bit with, but never hated, the more recent work; until the last release discussed here above.

tiermat

« Reply #16 on: 18 September, 2008, 11:25:22 am »
I have to admit that the thing that really put me off with Metallica was seeing them at Donnington one year, they debuted (sp?) 2X4, which absolutely rocked.  they then released the album and that song became absolute drivel.

Took my ears 3 days to recover after I saw them at Whitley Bay on the "Nowhere else to roam" tour, back when they wus good...

Tastes do move on, and TBH I don't think mine went the way that theirs did, as the black album came out I started listening to bands like 3 Colours Red, Tool and Ministry, which might explain why Metallica no longer did it for me.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #17 on: 18 September, 2008, 11:26:48 am »
Jason Newsted was a good instrumentalist. I have him on a long solo (DVD) and he can play; I think the main issue is that he didn't compose much for Metallica. Robert Trujillo has been said to be much involved and to have left a stronger inprint on the latest work (in much less time) already.

tiermat

« Reply #18 on: 18 September, 2008, 11:29:14 am »
Jason Newsted was a good instrumentalist. I have him on a long solo (DVD) and he can play; I think the main issue is that he didn't compose much for Metallica. Robert Trujillo has been said to be much involved and to have left a stronger inprint on the latest work (in much less time) already.

Which was what I was wondering in my previous post (on page one).  I did enjoy JN's solos when they played live (although IIRC he didn't do one at Donnington, but did a cracking solo that ended with the opening of "Dazed and Confused" when we saw them at Whitley Bay).  Neither can hold a flame to Cliff though....

« Reply #19 on: 18 September, 2008, 06:12:51 pm »
The Day that Never Comes is a good song...  :thumbsup:

PS OTOH DragonForce is disappointing; not as good as the previous two albums (so far).

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #20 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »
I saw Metallica on their Master of Puppets and And Justice For All tours, and still own one of the drumsticks that Lars Ullrich threw out into the audience at the Hammersmith Odeon during the encore for the latter aforementioned tour. 

How much do you think I should put the drumstick on eBay for  :D

« Reply #21 on: 22 September, 2008, 08:25:05 am »
'tis really good. The more I listen to it the better it gets. The live session on Jools was okay too; although not as good as I anticipated.

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:00:16 pm »
I have to admit that the thing that really put me off with Metallica was seeing them at Donnington one year, they debuted (sp?) 2X4, which absolutely rocked.  they then released the album and that song became absolute drivel.

2X4 is good? I agree, it's drivel on their "Load " album, as are quite a few, but there's some good on there.

'tis really good. The more I listen to it the better it gets.

Yep! that's what I reckon too.

tiermat

« Reply #23 on: 23 September, 2008, 08:38:23 am »
TG, what I was getting at was the 2X4 that I heard at Donnigton was a completely different song from the one the released on CD.