Author Topic: ...Later  (Read 1697 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
...Later
« on: 22 September, 2008, 09:16:12 am »
A new series has started, I found after watching the ...Later Live last series that it bored me (at least the live one did) so this series I am sticking to the Friday night full length one.

In a nutshell
Kings of Leon were good
Metallica rocked like I haven't seen them do for years!
Carla Bruni bored me to tears
The KT Tunstall-a-like was boring boring boring
V.V. Brown was amazing, reminded me in bits of Poly Styrene and the one with the huge beehive out of the B52's
Sway sounded bored.

In all a half decent show though, much better than ones he has done, just wish he would give up the idea that he can do interviews....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: ...Later
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:46:36 am »
Must be me age. I thought it was all shite. Best bit was Carla Bruni doing an "impromptu" thing with Jules. Absolutely hilarious. Simon Cowell wouldn't have let her get past the first few notes (at least I think they were notes). She should stick to doing what she does best. Making male politicians look like simpering idiots.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:55:13 am »
I had a good time too (see here), although Metallica were under par. Good mix, although I am no big fan of KOL.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2008, 01:47:38 pm »
I've always really liked Later, it always has a good mix of different musical genres and styles, as well as promoting new bands.

Can't really disagree with your summmary.  The interview he did with Carla Bruni was a little strained to say the least.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2008, 01:51:49 pm »
I watched this last night on iPlayer... To be honest I skipped through everyone apart from VV Brown and Metallica - who I thought were really good.

What I always love about Later... is the mutual respect that's evident between the musicians and it was great to see most of the other bands nodding and singing along to Enter Sandman.
a great mind thinks alike

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2008, 02:45:41 pm »
I've always really liked Later, it always has a good mix of different musical genres and styles, as well as promoting new bands.

+1
Of course this means not every show will be fantastic for every viewer. Rough with the smooth, etc ... !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:40:13 pm »
What I always love about Later... is the mutual respect that's evident between the musicians and it was great to see most of the other bands nodding and singing along to Enter Sandman.

Same here; plus the fact that only "real" musicians can come on to Later...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »

How do you explain Carla Bruni then?  ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »

L'exception qui confirme la regle... as we say in French! You may have to check your French and some philosophy.  ;)

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:20:20 pm »

L'exception qui confirme la regle... as we say in French! You may have to check your French and some philosophy.  ;)

I hope she's a bad exception and not the rule because most people in the audience could have performed better.  Covering Bessie Smith was a bit embarrassing on a number of levels.  I wonder what constitutes 'the blues' for Carla, running out of Yves St Lauren foundation perhaps.

I don't think the LATER format suits Heavy Rock but Metallica are legendary enough to just get away with it.

I used to love Kings of Leon but I'm struggling to like their most recent stuff including their Later set.

Highlight for me was VV Brown, it was like seeing/hearing 'The Darts' meets "The B52s" (and that's not a bad meeting in my opinion.)