Author Topic: Film Reviews  (Read 1157 times)

LEE

Film Reviews
« on: 26 September, 2008, 06:11:09 pm »
I don't know how long this will last but let me start it.  (from 0-10)

= The Machinist = 7/10

I had no idea what it was about, I didn't hear any hype so I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I'm not sure I'd have watched it if I'd heard someone tell me about it so I hope this brief summary doesn't put you off a really interesting film.

Basically the downward spiral (for reasons not made clear until the end,  NO SPOILERS PLEASE) of Christian Bale, playing a machinist (tool maker), loner type.   It's nothing more than that really, just a guy having a bad time and how it affects his interactions with those (few people) around him.  Quite sinister and with an "Angel Heart" ring to it.

The fact that Bale lost over 4 stone to play the role isn't what makes his performance so great, it's because he made me forget it was Christian Bale (and that he'd lost over 4 stone for the role). 

Nothing cheery about the movie (this isn't a 'first date' type film) but the ending at least ties the whole thing together. 

My big test is whether I get uncomfortable watching a film (example, Pirates of the Carib seemed to last 7 hours and the cinema chair was torture).  This seemed to last 30 minutes, a sign of an enjoyable film for me.

Zoidburg

Re: Film Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »
Outpost

I will not give a lengthy review but all I will say is this

It had Zombie Nazis in it a good cast and it was made for naff all money yet it still looked fab

It was also disturbing without resorting to pointless and repetative gore

See this film :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »
Grow Your Own.

British film set in a small community of allotment-holders. Some of the allotment plots are given to refugees and asylum seekers and the film follows how they all adapt to each other and come to terms with their circumstances. It's very simple, bits of it are very moving and bits of it are very funny, and Benedict Wong, in particular, gives an excellent performance. Really enjoyed it. 8/10
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »
Lives of Others (Die Leben der Anderen)

In 1980s East Berlin, a Stasi agent is ordered to spy on a loyal playwright and his actress partner.  He is humanised, but everyone's lives are changed.

A powerful, character-driven Oscar-winning drama that not only conveys the claustrophobia and paranoia of the time but transcends it to reveal universal truths about how people act.

9½/10.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2008, 09:44:49 am »
Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)

Fixed that for you.

Amazing film, as well.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »
The Island

(on itv1 last night; check freeview for repeats)

a fairly blatant Matrix tribute; but based (allegedly and IMO almost completely) on a 1979 low budget sc-fi Clonus (which I've also seen and not a patch on this)

Sean Bean is good as the mad professor; Ewan McGregor is Ewan McGregor, one of the best performances is the emotionless midwife in the baby delivery scene

Enjoyable and worth checking out.

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:23:13 am »
Sleuth

Again, I missed the hype, but loved the original.
Dir: Brannagh
Written: Pinter
Starring: Caine & Law

I mean it should be a classic. Turns out it isn't. If you know the original, you'll know the plot, and I thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of it (despite a large chunk of stageyness). The too-ing and fro-ing between L & C and various plot-hangs were nicely contrived, but the closing scene ...

Mrs PB and I were left feeling most short-changed.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2008, 12:46:47 am »
Nil By Mouth [1997]

It was on Film on 4 this evening [Wednesday....it could well show up again].

I first saw this on it's release at the flicks in 1997. I was reminded tonight of how I just sat there, completely transfixed, almost hypnotised by the horror of it all. Reluctant to talk of categories, but if you like gritty British kitchen sink films, then, in my opinion, this is the powerful ever made. The realism of it all is such that it feels like you really are looking into a private nightmare. Some of it is extremely disturbing to watch, particularly the violent stuff between Ray[Ray Winstone] and Valerie [Kathy Burke]. Although bitter in it's tone throughout there is a tenderness between people as well that gives some variety and relief to the flow of the thing.

All set against a back drop of a dark and damp S.E. London [a return to home for writer & director Gary Oldman, who based the film on some of his own real life experiences....no wonder he left the place and wandered off to LA!].

The film has a terrific soundtrack too.

I don't follow films as much these days so I'm not sure I would go and seek something like this out now, but blimey, I never forgot the time I first saw Nil By Mouth in 1997. Like all these things, you've got to be in the mood to watch this, but if you are, it's a real cracker.
Garry Broad

« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2008, 11:25:17 am »
The Duellist (1977) - Ridley Scott

I bought this on DVD earlier this year. Superb cinematography and lighting. The story of two French soldiers and their meetings throughout the Napoleonic Wars unfolds at slow unhurried yet mesmeric pace. A great cast with Keith Carradine in the lead role and Harvey Keitel as the officer who insists that he must have satisfaction again and again. Albert Finney, Edward Fox and Tom Conti are among the supporting cast.
The actual duels look scarily real. No fantasy sword play and gymnastics here. The duellists look nervous and sometime hesitant.
Definitely worth an evening in with a decent bottle of claret.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.